Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Out the Freezer: Rack of Goat

Options
Darby_Crenshaw
Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
bought this at Blood Farm in Groton MA, before it burned down (since rebuilt).  Same size as a rack of lamb. Also used one of the post-Easter discounted boneless legs of lamb that we got for 2.99 a pound. The boys love lamb. 

I chunked up the leg of lamb and salted/peppered it. The rack got the same plus some fresh rosemary. 

Onto the grate indirect at maybe 275 until it felt rare/mid-rare. No thermapen. 

...of course those posted in the incorrect order, but you get the timeline I'm sure. 

I rested the rack and then spiked the BGE to sear the leg of lamb. That took maybe 8-10 minutes. 

I plopped an ear of corn (grown god knows where) on the plate for the pic. But we had some local spring asparagus too, and a garlicky herbed quinoa. 

Neither of the boys dared try the goat. It was even milder than lamb, not as tender, but had a great texture and even temp. The taste of the smoked and crisp fat, and rosemary, hung on for a while. Real nice. The smoke and spice earned bonus points from the wife, and she earned her own by trying the goat with zero qualms. Always game to try new stuff. 

smoked the rack with grapevine and lilac, and although i am always dubious, it really does come thru. Very light. Might even say floral, but some of that was probably the rosemary. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I love goat.  That looks awesome.
    NOLA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Looks good, I've never had goat.
    Phoenix 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very well done sir. Salute
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I love goat.  Thanks for posting your cook

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never had goat. Never SEEN goat. Will buy some if I ever do. 

You do nice work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've heard goat is really good.  No first hand experience.  Those chops look excellent!  Nicely done.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Great cook and post. I'd try that all day long!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thanks gents. 

I liked it quite a bit. A little tougher than lamb, but still good. 

Wife liked it too. Which always helps!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Great look cook.  I was in Bonaire on a dive trip several years ago and had goat ribs they were fantastic.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Looks good!  I'd like to give it a try.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks damn good to me. I would hope my kids would hit it but they are equal parts adventurous and candy-ass when it comes to new food. They are convinced sushi is "good" so they would try cuttlefish anus without batting an eye. Rack of Goat on the other hand could be a totally different deal. It would be a game time decision. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    tell them it's rack of cuttlefish anus. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It sure looks like a winner to me. The Goat Gods are looking down from above with envious eyes I'm sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw Darby, I'm sure that you have already tried it, but on the chance that you haven't, give a Birria a go the next time you have some goat meat. It was one of my very favorites growing up.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Looks damn good to me. I would hope my kids would hit it but they are equal parts adventurous and candy-ass when it comes to new food. They are convinced sushi is "good" so they would try cuttlefish anus without batting an eye. Rack of Goat on the other hand could be a totally different deal. It would be a game time decision. 
    My older boy will normally eat anything. I cut the rack so i had four ribs and the wife three, and i only half heartedly offered. I sure would have let him try it, if he wanted, but he was mowing thru the lamb chunks and barely grunted. 

My younger is less adventurous. But still eats a healthy variety. His favorite veggies are broccoli and cauliflower. Go figger.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw Darby, I'm sure that you have already tried it, but on the chance that you haven't, give a Birria a go the next time you have some goat meat. It was one of my very favorites growing up.  
    Haven't had Birria. But jerked goat and goat stew, which were both excellent

Birria (had to look it up) sounds great

• SGH
    Options
    Birria (had to look it up) sounds great
    I'm actually suprised to hear that Darby. I would have bet good money that you knew what it was. On a seperate note, when done correctly it is outstanding my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i lead a sheltered life!