Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb question - new large BGE

Options
My new large egg has rubber covers on the bottom air damper.  These are great at the moment because they keep the thing from being blazing hot.  My other eggs did not have these.  Are these something I should remove before the melt and cause a mess or are they a "feature" on the newer models.

Thanks,
-Dweebs

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    BTW, I have googled this question to no avail.  Hoping to find the answer from the experts here.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They won't melt, you can keep them.  Assuming you're talking about rubber covers on the tabs you use to adjust the vent.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Yes I am.  Thanks for the advice.  They do keep the suckers from burning your fingers when you adjust the temps.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Clearly an improvement.  Congrats on the new L!!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mine is still on after 3 1/2 years. Hopefully they will hang around. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Mine, too. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    3 years and mines pretty crispy. Really figured it'd be gone by now actually. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Mines still hanging on but only because the blower for my DigiQ melted it in place. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have one left...
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I have one left...
    Sloppy and careless.  You might have a warranty claim!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I have one left...
    My table looks like it birthed @johnincarolina s minimax, so you could be correct in your statement. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I have one left...
    My table looks like it birthed @johnincarolina s minimax, so you could be correct in your statement. 
    Sounds like your table needs a clean burn!  @JohnInCarolina's mm was like a badly abused step child.  He has no conscience.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I have one left...
    Sounds like your table needs TO burn!  @JohnInCarolina's mm was like a badly abused step child.  He has no conscience.
    FTFY
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I have one left...
    Sounds like your table needs TO burn!  @JohnInCarolina's mm was like a badly abused step child.  He has no conscience.
    FTFY
    Hilarious!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    Lol
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    My older eggs didn't come with them. Instead I have since made a far superior enhancement...a simple wooden dowel piece with a cut slot and then a brass nail to hold it in place. Here's picture #1

and then here's a close up. The curved finger and thumb recesses are optional! LOL BTW yes I did drill a hole thru the tab so the brass nail would get a good grip!

I think this is the second little "enhancement" I've seen you do that looks really cool.  Nicely done.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    RRP said:
    My older eggs didn't come with them. Instead I have since made a far superior enhancement...a simple wooden dowel piece with a cut slot and then a brass nail to hold it in place. Here's picture #1

and then here's a close up. The curved finger and thumb recesses are optional! LOL BTW yes I did drill a hole thru the tab so the brass nail would get a good grip!

I think this is the second little "enhancement" I've seen you do that looks really cool.  Nicely done.
    ...thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Anybody need wine corks?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Anybody need wine corks?
    Got any whine corks?  I have two kids...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Anybody need wine corks?
    Got any whine corks?  I have two kids...
    I got bourbon slushies, same thing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    My Large is 2 years old and came with the rubber tips. Keep them. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    If you cook enough pizzas or high temp cooks they will melt like ice cream on hot day.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    dweebs0r said:
    Yes I am.  Thanks for the advice.  They do keep the suckers from burning your fingers when you adjust the temps.
    they actually came about when people were getting cut on the tab of the lower vent.  there seemed to be a period of time when something changed in the manufacturing process, maybe a new supplier?  ...anyway, people were getting cut by the sharp edges.  so they dipped them in that vinyl goo.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    @RRP your door is on backwards.  You should really fix that.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - I reversed it intentionally! Ever see that jet of nasty blue flame shoot out your vent when you first try to close the vent door? I have many times and it is spooky! I don't want my hand close it that jet blue!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - I reversed it intentionally! Ever see that jet of nasty blue flame shoot out your vent when you first try to close the vent door? I have many times and it is spooky! I don't want my hand close it that jet blue!
    mine is like that too.  i don't think i ever reversed mine, but may have.

now i'm wonderin'

mine is an after market with "lucy" on it though, so i thinki have no choice but to have the tab there.  but i'da sworn the old version had the tab to the right.

i legit do not know. hahaha
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    mine is like that too.  i don't think i ever reversed mine, but may have.

now i'm wonderin'

mine is an after market with "lucy" on it though, so i thinki have no choice but to have the tab there.  but i'da sworn the old version had the tab to the right.

i legit do not know. hahaha
    You are correct my Lucy is right tabbed also, but my old large pictured here didn't have the screen so I retrofitted it by taking a slotted screwdriver and bending the track wider. Just the same I find the tab on the right to be safer from that occasional back draft of blue flame when choking down an already brisk fire.