Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking For New Sauces and Rubs to Try

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
No ordinary Kroger suggestions please !!

I'm browsing through different sauces and rubs and wondering if you have any unique brands/flavors that I might try.

Just looking for that new eggxtra eggtensity to the perfect taste already achieved by the BGE !!!

I don't think anything can beat BBBR for butts....but if you think something is better....let me know.

Has anyone tried the Cackalacky Sweet Cheerwine Sauce available from Firecraft?

Thanks friends,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm gonna make this sauce next time for pulled pork. Sounds different and interesting. Plus I have a bunch of dates to use up and I bought a 6 of Yuengling Summer Wheat to go in it. http://www.charbroil.com/community/sweet-and-smoky-bernalillo-barbeque-pork-sliders/?redirect_mongo_id=56f1534c6161341563be0500&utm_source=batch&utm_medium=email&utm_content=image-BBQ_Sliders&utm_campaign=03_24_16_SlamDunk_NL

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Try Plowboy's Yardbird and Smoking Gun's Hot on Butts.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    John Henry has a bunch. Maple Bacon I hear is a good one. Have at it! 

http://johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    You can't go wrong with this stuff. It's  better warm than cold. If better on cooked on ribs for the last 45 minutes. Put a first place trophy on the shelf.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132841/bar-b-que-sauce-in-memory-of-larry-griffin
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Central BBQ was my favorite place when I lived in Memphis.  I always have friends ship me some rub and sauces whenever I run out.  http://cbqmemphis.com/collections/store
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

Options
    I thought you were looking for new sauces to make.  IF you want a new sauce to buy, try this one; http://www.montgomeryinn.com/in-the-know/enjoy-us-at-home/.  I used to live in Cincinnati, and loved Montgomery Inn.  This sauce is best when heated first.

Member since 2009
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Thanks everyone !!

500 ...I did intend on new sauces and rubs to buy. I've made some, but am still looking for the perfect flavor.  I live in NKY...I love Montgomery Inn !!  I really like the "all you can eat rib" day !!!!

Thanks friend,

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Oakridge rubs yet?  Do you have The Fresh Market near you?  They have a house line of seasonings - the Mango Chipotle is really good on wings and chicken thighs and the Lemon Dill is a go-to on seafood, salmon especially.

For sauce - I'm very partial to Scott's Barbecue Sauce or Pork Barrel sauces.  Also - Trader Joe's has a Sriracha and Roasted Garlic Sauce that is really good.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Thanks everyone !!

500 ...I did intend on new sauces and rubs to buy. I've made some, but am still looking for the perfect flavor.  I live in NKY...I love Montgomery Inn !!  I really like the "all you can eat rib" day !!!!

Thanks friend,

I would have loved to be there for that event.  I also loved Grater's Ice Cream and Skyline Chili.  You're lucky to have The Party Source nearby.  Really enjoyed shopping there.

Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Consider mail order. Sauces can be a little pricey because of the shipping weight, but rubs generally don't cost much.

Penzy's has stores all over, so you might be within traveling distance. It is nice because they have jars you can open and sniff what the spice or blend is like. I have several of their rubs, and they are pretty good. Another branch of the family runs the Spice House out of Chi. Their Bronzeville rub is very good. As mentioned, John Henry has lots of good stuff. I too have been happy w. Smkin' Guns products.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    gdenby ....My wife bought me a Penzy's $25 gift certificate for Christmas...I had forgotten about it. Theres a store in Louisville.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

DD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Oak Ridge has a sampler pack that I think is definitely worth checking out. 

https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/ultimate-value-sample-rub-pack/

Secret Weapon is probably my favorite store bought rub on ribs.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I love Oakridge's "Habanero Death Dust". Great for wings. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    @dldawes1, depending on where you're located in NKY, there's also a Penzy's in Cincy. Great suggestions so far. The Oakridge sampler is only $5 and includes shipping. I also had a great BGE dealer in Bentonville AR (The Patio) give me a jar of Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ rub that's very nice. I'm guessing the rest of their rubs are good.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    bodski said:
    @dldawes1, depending on where you're located in NKY, there's also a Penzy's in Cincy. Great suggestions so far. The Oakridge sampler is only $5 and includes shipping. I also had a great BGE dealer in Bentonville AR (The Patio) give me a jar of Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ rub that's very nice. I'm guessing the rest of their rubs are good.
    My large egg came from the patio in bentonville. I like the meatchurch rubs, too. 

Little Rock, AR

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    My large egg came from the patio in bentonville. I like the meatchurch rubs, too. 
    Great people. I was in town on business, saw their sign and took a couple coworkers in who are interested in learning about BGEs. They spent 30 minutes with these guys, even though they knew they wouldn't buy from them since we were from out of town. Because we travel there from time to time, they  offered to let us come by their place to cook dinner on the Egg or even borrow their mini loaner to take back to the hotel if it was available. I even left with a bottle of Meat Church that they insisted on giving me. Nothing like the extended Egghead family. (Sorry, folks, if this is off-topic.)  

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Try this stuff. It's sweet and has a kick.  Very distinct flavor.  I use it mostly for wings, mixing it with some buffalo sauce +/- teriyaki sauce, although I have used it by itself a few times also.

Those who went to the afterparty at Salado this year will vouch for it.

http://www.minorcandatil.com/Minorcan-Datil-Barbecue-Sauce.html

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    Options
    Foghorn....I'll have to wait until Feb when I'm back down there. $17.65 shipping for $6 bottle....can't do it !

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    If you are coming up to Cincy, Jungle Jims carries a number of locally made rubs at the Fairfield location.  They are near the pig heads :-)
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Can't recommend them because I've yet to try them myself, but I've been wanting to. The Hog Zone
    http://www.thehogzone.com/Store.php

L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
    Options
    Ok. Here's a different one to try. Lizano Salsa; http://www.lizanosite.com/. It's from Costa Rica. If you can find a Latin American store near you they should have it. In Costa Rica, Lizano Salsa is like ketchup to America. I found it $6 for 750ml. 
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Lane's BBQ has some really great stuff. Their Sorta White is so good I'd drink it with a straw. Mix it with the Kinda Sweet and folks won't know what hit them. I haven't had a single thing of theirs that wasn't worth it. 

http://www.lanesbbq.com/

If you want to PM me your address I'll send you some. Seriously. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I like all the rubs from here but grand champion is my favorite. http://www.texasbbqrub.com
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Here are the three that I have ordered so far....

Oak Ridge Carne Crosta
    Lizano Salsa
    Scott's BBQ 

Thanks everyone,

DD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Foghorn....I'll have to wait until Feb when I'm back down there. $17.65 shipping for $6 bottle....can't do it !

I buy it by the case.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    Options
    Foghorn...I'll look for it in Feb, unless something comes along before then.

Sounds great...love trying new tastes.

Thanks friend,

DD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Montgomery Inn is awesome stuff.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Try texaspepperjelly.com.  Can't go wrong with any of the flavors of rib candy or bird bath.  I like the apple habanero on ribs.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options
    I like:

Summerville, SC
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Dizzy Pig has a whole line of rubs and spices that I really like!B)

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want