Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - My random picture I am sharing with you

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
I just built a new run for my chickens and gave them a new perch.  I think they approve.

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sweet
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

From what I can see, I really like where you live.

Do you eat the chickens, or eggs only?

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice!  Do you deliver fresh eggs?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Love it. That rocks.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @blasting believe it or not, and to make a long story short, 15 years ago I got them as tools.  I used them to eradicate the ticks in my yard. I got eggs as a side benefit. I was single and getting 6-10 eggs a day - that is a lot.  So I gave them away at work. Then people would barter work tasks for them so they would get to the top of the egg list.  About 3 years ago I lost my flock to old age. We decided to rebuild the coop and run area this spring since we missed having the birds on the property.  Now I have 12 very happy and friendly 8 week old pullets. I should be getting a dozen or so eggs a day come August.

So @bgebrent I do not deliver, but anytime you stop by, I will be happy to give you what I have. 

Large and MiniMax

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    @blasting believe it or not, and to make a long story short, 15 years ago I got them as tools.  I used them to eradicate the ticks in my yard. I got eggs as a side benefit. I was single and getting 6-10 eggs a day - that is a lot.  So I gave them away at work. Then people would barter work tasks for them so they would get to the top of the egg list.  About 3 years ago I lost my flock to old age. We decided to rebuild the coop and run area this spring since we missed having the birds on the property.  Now I have 12 very happy and friendly 8 week old pullets. I should be getting a dozen or so eggs a day come August.

So @bgebrent I do not deliver, but anytime you stop by, I will be happy to give you what I have. 

I hope one day this happens brother!  Chickens follow directions well!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Cluck me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I hope one day this happens brother!  Chickens follow directions well!
    I had a rooster I would put in a cat carrier in the summer and put him in my utility garage, which was basically a basement, so when he crowed it was not as loud.  Nice and cool in there. He was trained to fly to the carrier and climb in it.  Longest distance was about 50 feet.  He was the best.  Super friendly and protected the flock fiercely. His name was "A-La-King". Yes you can train a chicken!  ....but just a tiny bit. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Just watched one of the birds catch, tenderize and eat a frog.  Only got one (bad) picture.

I I think these three guys saw it and are now a bit nervous. 

Large and MiniMax

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Fresh eggs are one of my very favorites things.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I here you @Ozzie_Isaac. I have a 2 egg omelette just about every morning. Next month I should start getting 8-10 eggs a day.  
    Large and MiniMax

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Very nice.  I grew up on a farm and miss having the animals around.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Can't wait to get more.  Had to sell all 54 chickens for our remodel. 

Nice enclosure.  Does it have a top?  I kept losing chickens to hawks.  My roosters were vigilant but couldn't protect all at once.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Those are some pretty content looking chickens...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    My next-door neighbor has about nine, said I'd get the "extra" eggs but hasn't happened.  They're all very curious to watch me mow the lawn.  As long as he never gets a damn rooster, I'm fine with them (along with his 4 yappy terriers and two unusually-large tortoises, six or so rabbits, and a German Shepard police dog).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    @kl8ton. Yes it has a top. Lost several to hawks in the past.  When I decided to rebuild, I wanted to make it as realistically predator proof as possible. I Built it this spring.  

The run area is 16x20. It is wrapped in 1"x2" 14 gauge galvanized wire which was black nylon coated. It was stapled to the upright 4x4s, roof and at the base which are 2x10" with 8" buried vertically using about 2000 galvanized 3/4" staples. In certain parts, like a seperate smaller roof covered run that they have access to 24/7 and their favorite dust bath area, the bottom 24" is also wrapped in 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth to keep raccoon hands from grabbing a neck. Doors are double latched.  

As a final layer of precaution, I put a 24" skirt along the base extending away from the run to keep digging predators at bay.  Something would have to know to back up from the bottom, dig down, tunnel 28" and 10" deep to get through.  

With all the birds I have lost to predators, this will work for me unless one of 3 animals want a chicken dinner: mink, weasel or big enough snake. But, I do not think I have any in my immediate area.  At least that I know of.

@Botch when I am home they free range all over. It is funny when I start up the lawnmower. It is like the dinner bell - they all come running like mad and follow behind me as I cut.  They gather up all the moths, spiders, and the occasional frog/toad that did not get out of the way fast enough. Anything injured is consumed.  

They say say chickens are dumb.  They are in some ways, but intelligent in others. And yes, they all have personality.  The one that I think will kill herself is this one.  She is the inquisitive one. She is always looking, investigating, and hopping on everything. I can not help but think she will make a mistake someday. I hope not...

Large and MiniMax

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Very impressive!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    That is a very nice chicken house!!

A friend of mine has a white chicken, can't remember what kind that is, but he acts more like a dog than chicken. He runs up to cars when they pull in and makes a bunch of noise like a dog would. He has been known to sneak up on people and hit them in the heels like a dog might nip someone. He doesn't have claws so he doesn't hurt anybody, but he catches you off guard when he does it. He gets an attitude from time to time and has to get scolded or locked up. Follows the owner around like just like a dog would. He will crow and cluck a lot when people are over or he is on the phone. 

He is a really unique chicken. He has been able to hide from raccoons and other predators when he is left out at night from time to time. His other chicken buddies were not able to fare so well. He has a good spot that the owner can't even find him and he won't make a sound even when called. Just holds up until daylight.

Pretty neat to see him interact with the cats too. He actually taunts them and bullies them a little bit, its pretty funny.

I never knew chickens could have such personalities. We didn't have very many on the farm when I was growing up.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I once ended up with one sex link pullet. She slept in the dog house with the dog and roamed where ever she wanted. I found probably fifty eggs hidden in the garage one day. They were not all fresh.
    Feeding or watering the dog after dark was a scary experience if I forgot and that jet black thing came at me in the air.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast