Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection question

Options
I've read enough on here to know there are definitely two camps on the injection preference, but one thing I haven't seen is whether or not there's any safety concern in doing so.   There's another smoking forum I've come across a couple of times when Googling certain things, and one user in particular is adamant about not injecting not because of anything to do with flavor or moisture, but because of the necessity to ensure the meat gets past 135-140 within 4 hours.

I'm doing a turbo butt Sat and thinking about injecting for the first time just to see what (if any) difference I notice, so the 135-140 IT won't be an issue.   But for low and slow then it could.    For those who do inject, has this ever been an issue with a low & slow?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have never heard this. But I will say that I have never seen any difference in cooking time if the meat is injected or not. Have at it!
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I have never heard this. But I will say that I have never seen any difference in cooking time if the meat is injected or not. Have at it!
    Me neither.
    XL BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i inject well after the 140 internal temp so no problem. the only thing i inject cold is already cooked ham. was never a safety issue for me, just something i do, inject between 160 and180 internal =) people on this forum were injecting and smoking at 220 dome years ago, i know for a fact the internals did not reach 140 for the first 6 to 8 hours, its probably pretty close now that we do these 250 plus at grate temps, close enough i wouldnt have a problem with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    i inject well after the 140 internal temp so no problem. the only thing i inject cold is already cooked ham. was never a safety issue for me, just something i do, inject between 160 and180 internal =) people on this forum were injecting and smoking at 220 dome years ago, i know for a fact the internals did not reach 140 for the first 6 to 8 hours, its probably pretty close now that we do these 250 plus at grate temps, close enough i wouldnt have a problem with it
    Yea I've seen your technique referenced on Playing with Smoke and Fire blog, which probably the way I'm going to go.    Was just curious about early injection though because I'd never heard of that before anywhere else except that one site.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    On a brisket at 160F IT then wrap.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited May 2016
    Options

This sounds like nonsense to me.... I inject butts cold all the time before I put them on the grill. 

How does one hypothesis that the injection keeps it cooler?  because you are adding more mass or volume?  How is that different than buying a butt that is .25 pound heavier?

.25 might even be a stretch, as much that shoots out of it when I inject and as much of it that runs out on my grease pan, I'd say we are talking about a very insignificant impact to weight let alone cook time.

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have spoken with an FDA inspector about that whole 40-140 in 4 claim. His "unofficial" thoughts...it is a CYA  thing for the food industry.  He told me that food joints need some sort of protection in the end entry of someone with a weakened immune system eating at their establishment and getting sick. Sort of buy it sort of dont. I ALWAYS put the meat on the smoker, when the lid is still open wipe the temperature probe with an alcohol pad and stick the probe in. Granted I have only been doing this for a couple years but my wifes immune system is in the crapper...and she has never gotten sick. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I frequent another bbq site. This discussion has been "beat to death" over there. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    I frequent another bbq site. This discussion has been "beat to death" over there. 
    That's most likely the same one where I first read this being debated.   @stompbox as the theory goes, it's not that the injection keeps it any cooler, it's that you are creating an entry point for bacteria from the surface into the meat, which then must pass that magical 140ish range within 4 hours.  By that logic any insertion, even a temp probe, would create the same issue.   My assumption before even posting was that with all the injection posts I've seen without having this brought up there must not be too much to be concerned about.  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    That's most likely the same one where I first read this being debated.   @stompbox as the theory goes, it's not that the injection keeps it any cooler, it's that you are creating an entry point for bacteria from the surface into the meat, which then must pass that magical 140ish range within 4 hours.  By that logic any insertion, even a temp probe, would create the same issue.   My assumption before even posting was that with all the injection posts I've seen without having this brought up there must not be too much to be concerned about.  

oy vey.  I am not worried about that in the least.  The injection hole is nearly sealed back up once the needle is pulled back out, thus protected from the outside environment.  I would guess that Cider Vinegar, without really knowing, also has some bacteria killing properties of its own.  That stuff is pretty potent.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    stompbox said:
    dougcrann said:

oy vey.  I am not worried about that in the least.  The injection hole is nearly sealed back up once the needle is pulled back out, thus protected from the outside environment.  I would guess that Cider Vinegar, without really knowing, also has some bacteria killing properties of its own.  That stuff is pretty potent.
    I wouldn't be too worried either.  However, whether the hole "seals" or not is not pertinent.  It's the injection needle carrying microbes into the meat.  This is very plausible.  Vinegar is bacteriostatic, not bacteriocidal.  It impairs bacterial growth but does not kill bacteria.  Just so you know.  It is a theoretical risk when injecting cold.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga