Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The Poor Man's Rotisserie

Options
I'm more curious about this than anything else.  Seems like we have a lot of folks who have tried out various rotisserie options for the BGE, from the JoeTisserie to the Carson Rodizio (or whatever tf it's called).  I really haven't tried much of any food from these, so take my opinion for what it's worth (close to nothing), but the JoeTisserie makes more sense to me paired with the Egg.  

Anyway, just Googling around for other options, I stumbled upon this from Char-Broil:

http://www.charbroil.com/universal-rotisserie

It's hard to beat the price!  Sears even has them for less - $40.  It seems to me from the dimensions that this could be made to work reasonably well on the Egg, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    Options
    I think the part that you are getting from the joetisserie is the fact that is has the angled walls that the rotisserie sits in. This gives the metal bar that goes through the unit some place to sit as well as something to attach the motor too. 

You could probably make something like this work but you'd be fabricating something to sit between the lid and the base with the right angles to keep a decent seal.
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    matoch said:
    I think the part that you are getting from the joetisserie is the fact that is has the angled walls that the rotisserie sits in. This gives the metal bar that goes through the unit some place to sit as well as something to attach the motor too. 

You could probably make something like this work but you'd be fabricating something to sit between the lid and the base with the right angles to keep a decent seal.
    Right.  I think what I'm trying to reconcile is that the angled walls seem to cost $200.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I've never used one or even seen one, but I would be curious to know if the motor would be strong enough to turn the rods with the lid closed.  I would assume it's meant  to go on a grill that has the slot openings in the lid to allow  for something like this.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I just use a ronco. but I imagine this would taste much better
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited May 2016
    Options
    why not go open fire pit and get something like a grizzly spit or go big with a spitjack =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    why not go open fire pit and get something like a grizzly spit or go big with a spitjack =)
    I'm all for it!  Just looking for something that would work with the Egg.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Like this maybe?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've been looking for a Santa Maria style grill insert for my firepit and have seen some that also have the rotisserie attachment.  My pit is stone and brick, and irregular in size, so I don't have the perfect solution yet, but I'm getting closer.  I may have to have something fabricated, but I definitely want a spit.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    From my rotisserie days gone by, I found the novelty wore off in a couple months and it became to much a hassle to set-up, clean and store.  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lowe's has a spit and motor for $30. I set it up on my Large and it worked well even with no "wall" to seal the gap. The dome is propped open about 1-1.5" at the handle and the spit doesn't touch the egg. Smoke escapes and accumulates on the outside of the dome... cleans off ok, but over time, who knows. No prob maintaining temp. I held 400° for a long time - had to use DFMT though.

I think I have a way to seal the gap, but haven't tried it yet. If it works, I'll have an egg rotisserie (motor, spit, gap sealer) for about $35. 

Since I tried it the first cook on the egg, I've done several on the (lidless) kettle. That works well too.

I need to rig up something to hold the motor and spit over an open fire. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Like this maybe?

This looks like a scene right out of The Walking Dead.  Or maybe that magazine - what's it called - Redneck Staycations?  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Maybe we could design something revolutionary....like...hmmm... maybe where the food stays in one place and the fire, in, say, a kick ash basket, rotates around the meat.  The advantages of this can be enumerated.
    Options
    Maybe we could design something revolutionary....like...hmmm... maybe where the food stays in one place and the fire, in, say, a kick ash basket, rotates around the meat.  The advantages of this can be enumerated.
    Nice "outside the box" thinking. Maybe the kick ash merry go round?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rockwood rotator?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Rockwood rotator?
    The "Sit On It and Spin!"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    If I had a water source closer... However, this is a great idea for those boating trips we do up river.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Lowe's has a spit and motor for $30. I set it up on my Large and it worked well even with no "wall" to seal the gap. The dome is propped open about 1-1.5" at the handle and the spit doesn't touch the egg. Smoke escapes and accumulates on the outside of the dome... cleans off ok, but over time, who knows. No prob maintaining temp. I held 400° for a long time - had to use DFMT though.

Did you have the bottom vent closed to keep it from going nuclear?  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm going to turn my UDS into an Indiana bird barrel.  A live fire rotisserie with plenty of space between the fire and the food.  Total cost even if you aren't starting with a UDS is under 200.  If you don't cut a feed door into the side you would still have a working uds too and that adds a lot of capacity to an egg.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I used the same universal rotisserie from Lowe's by Char-broil and had success. Check out my picures, too lazy to find them now and i dont have a working phone at the moment. Makes juicy butts!
    Austin, Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    No. Had to close it a bit more than usual, but mostly I just added the DFMT. That was almost completely closed. Petals about halfway open as I recall. I just don't like the soot accumulation on the dome. No more eggtisserie until I can solve that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RiverRatSkier
    RiverRatSkier Posts: 130
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    No. Had to close it a bit more than usual, but mostly I just added the DFMT. That was almost completely closed. Petals about halfway open as I recall. I just don't like the soot accumulation on the dome. No more eggtisserie until I can solve that.
    Loosely rolled strip of aluminum foil for an angled gasket?