Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Month Journey for My New BGE Chiminea

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
It was almost a month ago when @LetsEat posted about a new floor model BGE Chiminea. Lets just say that @bgeaddikt was correct in how this was received. The nice people at the UPS Store, just across the street from the BGE dealer, did a great job on packing both  boxes. (It was a floor model so the BGE packaging was long gone) One had the base and everything else in the second one. The packaging was lots of peanuts, bubble wrap and had it completely surrounded with 2" Styrofoam. Box #1 came through Sherman TX and was in perfect shape. Box #2, the Ceramic Base, came through Ft Worth TX and it looked like it was thrown out of the plane as they flew over!! Opened #2 and saw this:

So time to call in the UPS Insurance. I called the UPS Store and she took over the claim. UPS came back and picked up the base for inspection and shipped it back to her at the UPS Store. She worked hard, trying to locate another, but with no success. So " The check was in the Mail". While all of that drama was going on I called the good folks at the Mother Ship and they went to work trying to locate a base. And while it took a week or so, they were successful on locating one. I picked it up this morning and now this journey is over and a new one has started.

A big thanks to the guys at Big Green Egg HQ for their help and also to the outstanding BGE Distributor that was able to locate one.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good final outcome and great customer service.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice setup there!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Good to hear the positive outcome. Hard to knock BGE when it comes to the warranty. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Glad it all worked out in the end. Looks nice!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man that looks cool!  Nice and clean too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Yea!!  So glad your chiminea adventure has a happy ending.  It will be fun to have, I'm sure!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Would you mind reviewing to me how well (or not well) it works?  Thinking of expanding our outdoor space, by adding a patio, and a fire pit is in the plans.  Thinking about something portable, for when it's too hot for a fire, or when extra space is needed.  Please share your experience with it.  Thanks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks everybody. It was a journey for sure.
    Hats off to BGE and their great Distributor.
    Now I have a few accessories to find.
    1. The original 9.5" Mini cooking grid
    2. The Spark arrestor Screen
    3. A wood / lump Grate for the bottom, CI or S/S (BGE never made one for the Chiminea
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Thanks everybody. It was a journey for sure.
    Hats off to BGE and their great Distributor.
    Now I have a few accessories to find.
    1. The original 9.5" Mini cooking grid
    2. The Spark arrestor Screen
    3. A wood / lump Grate for the bottom, CI or S/S (BGE never made one for the Chiminea

The grates are easy......just cut some #9 expanded stainless steel, or buy a High-Que firegrate.  They should be the same size.

From the pic, it looks like you have the spark arrestor screen???? 
  • Hotch
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @stlcharcoal There is a screen spark arrestor that goes between the chimney and the base. So if you are burning splits it would keep the flying embers in the chiminea. As for the grill grid the old 9.5" fits perfect. The newer Mini 10" is kind of sloppy. If I can't find one I will have a 1/4" S/S rod grill grid with 3/8" spacing made to fit for both the upper grilling grate and the lower fire grate. Some style as my 18" HiQue on my large.
     I know a guy that can make them. In fact I am about to have 3 or 4 made for my MiniMAX and few friends.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Ah, I remember the piece you're talking about.  There used to be a guy that had a banner add on TNW's site--he made custom grates as well. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Congrats....nice score and sure it was worth the wait. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Congrats.  Looking good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Have you fired it up?
    Flint, Michigan
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    My heart sank and I felt sick to my stomach when I read the beginning of your post and saw the first picture. What an adventure. I purchased a BGE because I liked the product as well as its corporate reputation to superior customer service. Your experience is an extraordinary affirmation. Personally, I do have regrets in not bringing your Chiminea home and arranging a rendezvous for its safe exchange. That being said, it looks great it its new home in TX!  I'll be on the lookout for your assessory wishlist. Thanks for sharing the update @Hotch!
    IL 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude ,colour me jealous ! I've wanted one of those for a long time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @caliking, I'll keep my eyes opened for you. I nearly tripped on the one @Hotch ultimately purchased.
    IL 
  • Hotch
    Options
    Have you fired it up?
    Not yet. Maybe when the schedule settles down.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks guys. I hope to get the small stuff and then cook a couple of filets on a open fire.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    caliking said:
    Dude ,colour me jealous ! I've wanted one of those for a long time. 
    Me to, from the first time I saw one! If I locate any more I will let both you and @jeremiah know.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Did anyone buy the one here in St. Louis?  One of my dealers had one sitting on the show room floor as of about 3-weeks ago.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm mad jelly. My dealer had one the longest time collecting dust in a corner. She sold it a week prior to my wife saying she wanted one.  :bawling:
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Hotch and @LetsEat - much appreciated!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very cool. Nice collector piece. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    i tried to warn, like i said before i have nothing against Postal service companies, but having worked at UPS before inside the Hubs and out, its almost impossible due to loader/unloader negligence. Those pictures and reading your recollection of retrieving it and persistence paid off!! @hotch
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    i tried to warn, like i said before i have nothing against Postal service companies, but having worked at UPS before inside the Hubs and out, its almost impossible due to loader/unloader negligence. Those pictures and reading your recollection of retrieving it and persistence paid off!! @hotch
    Yep all said, it was a little work but it paid off in the end.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Cool! Glad your story had a happy ending! I too have wanted one for years. I realize it is a niche market item, but surely BGE ought to at least consider making them and selling them special order. Probably could make enough profit to pay for the corporate Christmas party and bonus check! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • THEdexaTRON
    THEdexaTRON Posts: 14
    Options
    What are these thing used for?  Sorry I'm a noob. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Glad it worked out Hotch. I'm sure it'll be especially fun come fall. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hotch
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What are these thing used for?  Sorry I'm a noob. 
    First it is a drain on your time and wallet. It is a outdoor fire vessel. The cone is removable then put the 9.5" grill grate on to grill over open fire. And mostly use it as a movable outdoor fire place / vessel.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX