Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
 Hi everyone ,
 I'm currently waiting for the delivery of my first BGE. Picked up the XL .  Love the forum and already have tickets to attend the Toronto Egg Fest in June.  I do have a question about Maverick Wireless thermometer. Lots of great reviews on them. Anyone here have one and like them? 

Thanks
Matt
Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!! Enjoy the journey.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,690
    Options
    Welcome.

Lots here have the Maverick. I use mine a lot and have had no issues 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Quite a few eggheads in the GTA.  Have fun at the fest.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Welcome neighbour!  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I use mine all the time. Welcome aboard!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,544
    Options
    Welcome !!!   
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome brother.  Maverick is a good and useful tool.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,737
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    There are only two kinds of people in the world. 

Egg owners and Non-Egg Owners.

Welcome to the Dark Side! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well, It's funny how everyone is always glad to see the next victim. I going to tell you to Run-quickly. Find a good personal trainer, start working out now, a low interest loan, make friends with a good butcher, space in your domicile for lump and a contractor who specializes in back yards. Just ask people here. Eggs are social--they require other eggs. Some eggs like to travel and meet other eggs. It can get very exhausting keeping up with the demands of your eggs. On the other hand--you get to meet some of the finest folk you will ever know--just because of an egg. By the way--you will need a thermapen. Get one now and make it a habit. See--it started already
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    Options
    Maverick helpful device I started with that one and moved on to igrill2 it's limitation is Bluetooth tech. The Maverick is infrared tech you'll get a little better coverage around your house .... Limitation no apps gotta have the device with you plenty more good and bad with both ... But to your original question you'll like the maverick :) 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome! I have an XL Egg and the Maverick ET-732 and love them both. I've never had issues maintaining my target temperatures, so have never been able to justify the cost of the temperature controllers. The Maverick works fine for me and there are plenty other things to spend money on.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,751
    Options
    I have been extremely pleased with my Maverick. Works like a charm every time and the range has been good in every room in our house. The only thing I will add if you get one and live in a colder climate is to get the lithium ion batteries if using in cold weather.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Welcome in. The least expensive part, of your BGE journey, has come to an end. Wallet genocide will begin. You have been warned.
    Seriously though, the lifestyle is about having fun, and that is the only real requirement, the delicious food and the support you receive in this forum is priceless. I would like to say it evens out eventually, but I am not aware of that ever happening.
    Enjoy your egg, it will be a fun ride.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey welcome, I would recommend the Maverick.  Use mine all the time for low and slows.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Well, It's funny how everyone is always glad to see the next victim. I going to tell you to Run-quickly. Find a good personal trainer, start working out now, a low interest loan, make friends with a good butcher, space in your domicile for lump and a contractor who specializes in back yards. Just ask people here. Eggs are social--they require other eggs. Some eggs like to travel and meet other eggs. It can get very exhausting keeping up with the demands of your eggs. On the other hand--you get to meet some of the finest folk you will ever know--just because of an egg. By the way--you will need a thermapen. Get one now and make it a habit. See--it started already
    Sage advice, @Jstroke.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have a Maverick.  It pretty much stays in its box these days.
    NOLA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Welcome.  I'm also a new BGE'er.  Got mine on 4/4.  I got the iGrill2. Have used it twice thus far and really like it.  And...the experienced ones above aren't kidding.  Since I bought my egg I've spent over $800.00 for BGE "stuff".  This is FUN!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I have had mine for 3 years with not one issue. I always run the wires into the egg directly over the PS legs so its not in direct heat. I never wash the wires, only wipe them clean. I do wash the probes but gingerly not to get water into the join from probe to wire.

Last weekend I did 4 butts and I had the dreaded LLL come up on the screen, I reset it a few time to no avail. On the Maverick site it says to twist the probe in the receiver etc. I decided to just rip off the plastic doohickey cover on the inlets and it worked just fine after that, so I pulled the cover off the other side too.

It worked flawlessly until last weekend, and did so for the whole 14 hour cook after I too those little grey covers off. If it fails remember these words. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a maverick and the igrill2 I prefer the igrill and use it exclusively now, both are good products though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I don't use anything except the vents. But I hate gadgets. Eggs are simple and I keep it that way. Nothing against those that do. Just prefer tending my egg and sipping a beverage. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nhk19
    nhk19 Posts: 151
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I don't use anything except the vents. But I hate gadgets. Eggs are simple and I keep it that way. Nothing against those that do. Just prefer tending my egg and sipping a beverage. 
    So, you don't use any constant temp meat probe thermometer on long cooks?   Just realized I have more to learn than I thought.  I'm impressed!
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • Matt1969
    Matt1969 Posts: 15
    Options
     Just picked up the XL today with the XL Pizza Stone , the XL plate setter , some lump , starter cubes and I previously bought some Red Oak and Hickory for smoking. I think First up will be some thick NY strip and then long weekend going to do a Pork Butt. 
    Cambridge, Ontario , Canada . XL BGE