Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Egg

Options
Bf56
Bf56 Posts: 14
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased an XL egg and an amish cedar table for it to go in. Does anyone have any tips for assembly or care for the table? Also any suggestions on useful accessories to purchase are appreciated as well. Thanks! 

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome, You're going to love your new Egg!

I don't have any tips as far as the table is concerned. For accessories #1 is a good instant read thermometer (look at the thermapen  or thermopop from Thermoworks). #2 is a setup to cook indirect and #3 is a setup to raise the grid to cook raised direct (lots of ways to accomplish this, but I recommend looking at some of the setups from the ceramic grill store).  

Have fun, try lots of recipes and don't hesitate to ask questions, this is a great group of folks, that are always willing to help.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I think you will be well pleased with the XL as-is. I made a raised grid, but I have been able to cook about anything without it. If you are not familiar with cooking on an Egg, I suggest just learning the damper settings to be able to stabilize at different temps and eggsperiment with with it a few times before buying more accessories. I have a pile of them that I rarely use. Just my perspective, we all have our own techniques. Happy egging !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    There are several "band wagons" folks seem to jump on. Don't buy something because a dozen folks are telling you how great something is. 
    Learn how to use the vents....you will need something to allow you to cook indirectly....there are several approaches to this. 
    One thing that is a "must have" is an instant read thermometer...another thing I think is a "must have" is a remote thermometer.  Lot of folks will swear by Maverick...others, like myself swear AT them. May want to look into ThermoWorks products 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Thermapen and wait and see what you really need. Easy to spend others money here
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Agree with Doug on the Thermapen & remote thermometer. I have the Maverick, and it's ok but the range isn't great. I bought an iGrill for a buddy of mine, and we found that the bluetooth range with his phone was much better than the Maverick, so that's next on my list.

I have a plate setter and a Woo2 from Ceramic Grill Store. I will upgrade to get the adjustable rig once my plate setter cracks (this is my 2nd one, so I'm sure it will happen again.) You need to learn the dampers for sure, but being able to cook indirect is a must imho. 
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I agree with most others.  A thermopen & a way to cook indirect if you don't already have (plate setter or indirect stone and spider).  Then learn how to use your XL and decide what you like to cook most and that will tell you want other accessories you'll want/need.
    Have fun!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    1. Thermapen accept no substitutes.
    2. Woo and Adjustable Rig. You can do just about any kind of cook you can  imagine with this setup.
    3. Pizza stone
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Get a forklift to lift that bad boy into the table..... Oh and termapen...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Welcome...
    BGE has an online video for assembly.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Therma pen. KAB. Totally worth it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I must be the only one who went years with nothing but a plate setter. I now have all the extra goodies and still could get by fine with just a plate setter. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I would say a platesetter is the only absolute. You really limit what you can do without a way to go indirect. No. 2 for me is a remote thermometer. Also cannot disagree with the thermapen. Everything else can wait, but let's face it you likely won't stop there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    Buy everything you can!  Hand over your wallet and your sanity!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Endorsing going easy into the after-market accessories. There will be plenty of time for all the latest toys.  As above, instant read thermo if going hot& fast, and an outside the BGE thermo for low&slow.  Indirect and a raised direct set-up to take advantage of all the cooking options.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Welcome and let's see a picture of your setup.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat