Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picking up my XL BGE on Sunday

Options
billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,540
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
Hello all !
                 Looking forward to joining a new community. I've owned and cooked on about every popular cooker here in the southeast. Really looking forward to some conversation about the EGG.

Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum  :)
  • billt01
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    Welcome to the asylum  :)
    Thank you!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    sorry to hear about the future of your wallet!  :)

welcome to the family!
  • billt01
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tonyled said:
    sorry to hear about the future of your wallet!  :)

welcome to the family!
    Look at my signature...my wallet took a hit LONG ago...HA!..and thanks for the welcome
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    I love my XL.  I've only had it since December and use it at least 3 times a week.  Getting a Mini Max soon.
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    Even bought a Burqa for it.
  • billt01
    edited April 2016
    Options
    dogoffo said:
    I love my XL.  I've only had it since December and use it at least 3 times a week.  Getting a Mini Max soon.
    I was about to ask you why are you going smaller, but then I remembered that's why I bought my Egg..easier to fire up and less work to shut down...Im coming from the setup below..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    billt01 said:
    dogoffo said:
    I was about to ask you why are you going smaller, but then I remembered that's why I bought my Egg..easier to fire up and less work to shut down...Im coming from the setup below..

Welcome. Curious - how did you like the Stumps XL baby? Been intrigued by it for a while now! Really looking forward to getting your thoughts on how the egg compares to some of the other cookers you've had. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Options
    Welcome.  Like the name Fat Willies BBQ in your sig.

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Welcome. You will absolutely love your new XL!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@billt01. Congrats, and welcome to the most expensive "free" forum on the planet.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Wallet genocide commencing on Sunday. You have been warned.
    The most important thing is having fun.
    Seriously the least expensive part of this program, is your purchase, of your first egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • billt01
    Options
    bweekes said:
    billt01 said:
    dogoffo said:

Welcome. Curious - how did you like the Stumps XL baby? Been intrigued by it for a while now! Really looking forward to getting your thoughts on how the egg compares to some of the other cookers you've had. 
    Stumps makes a hellova product, but your gonna pay for all that steel and manufacturing costs....The gravity fed design really works well and cleanup is a breeze. I use a Rocks BBQ stoker with the XL and it keep temps no more than 1 degree off..I competed for about two years with a Stumps Stretch and Stumps Baby...I still have my Baby XL for bigger cooks... You really cant go wrong with a Stumps...But this is an EGG forum...I am looking forward to a NEW learning curve/////  ;-)
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome! You will love the XL and this forum is excellent! Great info and great folks!  Varying points of view and some very smart people.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Welcome! Where in the Southeast do you live?
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • billt01
    Options
    warwoman said:
    Welcome! Where in the Southeast do you live?
    McDonough, GA
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    Options
    EastTNBGE said:
    From my past catering and BBQ competition days.....

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    So you don't do competition BBQ or catering any more?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • billt01
    Options
    So you don't do competition BBQ or catering any more?
    too much time and money..I could never buy enough product to get the cost down to make an adequate profit on the gigs.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome!  You'll love the XL.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction and the XL family.  I love mine as well.  Sorry you couldn't make more on the BBQ competition and catering, I would love to do that for a real job, but living in the KC area there is a lot of competition and I just don't want to take the risk when there are some many around, but there aren't any real good prices right where I live. I believe a really good BBQ restaurant would do great where I live in Kansas City north it's I just I can't afford to quit my job to do it.  

What are you going to cook for your maiden voyage.  Brisket and pork butt shouldn't be a problem for you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Fellow Georgian????  Just going off your profile pic.....

Welcome to the madhouse! 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• billt01
    Options
    Fellow Georgian????  Just going off your profile pic.....

Welcome to the madhouse! 
    probably about 45 minutes from ya.....
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Options
    billt01 said:
    EastTNBGE said:
    From my past catering and BBQ competition days.....

Cool set-up.  The Egg is great.  Wish I had bought one years ago. 

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Ola / Locust Grove / Jackson???  Sweet!  Joan at Jackson Heating and Air is a great dealer down in Jackson, GA.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I hear you about the competition cooking...way to much money. Now catering is different. I make good money doing that. Never sell yourself short on price just to undercut someone to get the job. If they don't like the price order pizza. No skin off my back. I have a lot of people wanting a whole hog till I quote them the price. It is whatever MY cost is for everything then double it for my time. People don't take into account the 14-16 hours you are babysitting the cooker to make sure THERE event is wonderful for THEM. Just what I have noticed is they shop around then come to me anyways.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  As much as this is a BGE forum, Q discussions are always welcome especially for those with a whole different perspective.  I'm sure you will offer great insights as you master another Q producing piece of equipment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billt01
    Options
    Ola / Locust Grove / Jackson???  Sweet!  Joan at Jackson Heating and Air is a great dealer down in Jackson, GA.
    I'm out in Ola
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome from the left coast.  Looking forward to seeing some your experience come out of that new XL.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA