Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in Pork Roast

Options
For my mom's 60th birthday my wife and I decided to cook her a bone in pork roast on the egg. We ordered this beautiful cut of meat from our Harris Teeter and had them clean it up for the feast.  I followed the recipe from http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/brined-pork-roast called Brined Pork Roast for the brine and tweaked the cooking method a bit.

We did this same recipe for Halloween and it was spot on.  However, instead of cooking the roast over a direct flame, I decided to sear the roast for 5 minutes at 425 degrees on both sides, before inserting the place setter and cooking indirectly at 350 until the internal temperature of the roast got up to 150 degrees.  This is my preferred way to cook this roast as the meat was much juicer and was cooked perfectly throughout the entire roast.

Pre Brine:

The Brine recipe:

We created the Brine the night before and let chill in the refridegerator overnight.  Before we left for work we placed the roast in the brine and let it soak for 9-10 hours before cooking.

Brined for 10 hours with a mixture of 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water
3 strips of thick bacon cooked (did not strain the grease)
8 oz (230 g) kosher salt
8 oz (230 g) dark brown sugar
1⁄4 cup (60 ml) whole black pepper
3 each whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp (5 ml) ground nutmeg
6 sprigs thyme, or 1 tsp (5 ml) dry thyme
4 cloves of garlic, smashed with the side of a chefs knife

Once the roast finished brining I set the EGG for direct cooking (no convEGGtor) at 425°F and seared  the pork for 5 minutes a side, I then inserted the place setter, dropped the temperature to 350 and cooked fat cap up, until the internal temperature reached 150 degrees.  I then removed the roast, and let set for 25 minutes with foil tented.

Finished product......Needless to say this was a great night! My parents finally were able to experience the bounties of the Big Green Egg for the first time, celebrated my mother's 60th birthday, and UVA advanced to the elite 8!  Could not have asked for a better day!  Highly recommend this recipe.  Happy Easter everyone!

Comments