Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know it's Easter and ham and lamb and all that - but I'm going with turkey!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Just put a 9 pound breast in a simple 40 hour brine of kosher salt and dark brown sugar and half gal of water. Warmed the brine to liquify and then cooled for 2 hours. Grabbed a large Rubbermaid container and placed the breast in a 2 gallon ZipLoc, poured in the brine, sealed that up and now to wait. You might ask - "did you miss Thanksgiving? or something?" and yuppers - we did! No egged turkey that day - just my s-i-l's dry as a bone one! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sounds good ron. Wite was considering a turkey breast in addition to the ham, but we went with a small leg of lamb. 'Only' 20 people coming this year

i was advocating for the turkey. But in the end, only two giant chunks of meat (and no charcuterie, sadly)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    You can do whatever you want for Easter dinner!!! 

Christmas dinner in my family has been BBQ since my existence... Not sure if it's a Kansas City thing as I know multiple families around here do the same. Never once had a Christmas ham. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    You can do whatever you want for Easter dinner!!! 

Christmas dinner in my family has been BBQ since my existence... Not sure if it's a Kansas City thing as I know multiple families around here do the same. Never once had a Christmas ham. 
    That's awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    i was thinking about bird as well.   May end up doing a brisket though.   Ill check to see whats on sale and what costco has.  Happy Easter Ron!   Youre a huge help to all things Egg!
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Everyone here likes the Costco Ham on the Egg, doing that Saturday, Brined Turkey is the Bomb on the grill.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I love turkey- we tend to only have thanksgiving and I don't know why. Enjoy the time with your families. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Turkey for me as well. In the brine as we speak. Usually a ham, but got a breast on the cheap at Wal Mart a few months ago with this in mind. Hard to beat.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron, you enjoy that bird......Happy Easter to you and your wife.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Ron you should try SVing some turkey breast - it's crazy good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Turkey will hit the spot. Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Epilogue:

My wife and I both swear this was the most tender, juicy and tasty turkey I have EVER egged! I brined it in just kosher salt and dark brown sugar for 41 hours. And it wasn't just on the surface since as I was cleaning the rest off the bone even the meat deep in the caracas tasted as moist and tender. This was a WINNER Easter dinner and no rabbits were hurt!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :) RRP said:
    Just put a 9 pound breast in a simple 40 hour brine of kosher salt and dark brown sugar and half gal of water. Warmed the brine to liquify and then cooled for 2 hours. Grabbed a large Rubbermaid container and placed the breast in a 2 gallon ZipLoc, poured in the brine, sealed that up and now to wait. You might ask - "did you miss Thanksgiving? or something?" and yuppers - we did! No egged turkey that day - just my s-i-l's dry as a bone one! 
    Your a true rebel....... :)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Time and Egg temp? Breast temp?

Thanks!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    Options
    9 pounder, 355 dome, pulled off at 166 which was 2 hrs 25 minutes into the cook. Smoke provided by 7 small chunks of apple. 
  • Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options

(I love Google Image)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    Options
    Lo_Gear said:
    Indirect?
    Absolutely! In fact the whole set up was:
    - foil covered PS legs up
    - 3 1" pieces of copper pipe for spacers
    - foil covered 13" drip pan
    - grill
    - V rack 
    - breast