Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24hr Brisket Success

Options
Finally figuring out this brisket thing. At 1am I put a 12lb brisket on at 230 grate temp and expected to be eating the following afternoon around 4pm. Boy was I wrong! Meat did not come off the egg until 10:30 the next evening. Yikes! Even so I let it rest for a couple hrs and sliced into it around 12:30. Much to my surprise it was perfect. Best one yet. My mistake was over foiling for heat deflection around the tip of the flat. After it reached the stall the cook really slowed. Took forever to push through the stall and even then took forever to rise. I was determined to ride it out though so I pressed on. Around 8 worry really began to set In and I began bumping the temp. About 9 I started probing as it was just reaching 190. Not there yet. Another half hour, hmm getting better. Another half hour, probing like butter in the thick of the flat. Scared of what might be happening with the farthest reaches of the flat I jammed a probe in. No surprise, really stiff and dry feeling and I'm crushed. Wait a minute, I'm probing with the Thermapen, just how over done is it I thought as I stuck it back into the meat. Hmm??? It's cooler than the rest of the brisket by about 8 degrees. Well, how about that, maybe it's not done yet? I crossed my fingers and let it ride for another half hour. Yep, that was it. Suddenly it was juicy and soft so I pulled her off the heat. Perfectly moist flat and point. A nice smoke ring magically appeared. (Never saw a decent ring on my other 3 briskets) And, it past all of the tenderness and pull tests along with being easy to carve. And to top it off the flavor was great. I would have never imagined a nearly 24 cook and riding nekkid the whole way could have turned out at all much less nearly perfect. I guess what they say is true. BBQ is done when it's done.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks killer.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice job. you played it perfectly. Really nice looking brisket. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    Outstanding.  Way to be patient.  You broke the code.

Now to work on the timing...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    Options
    Nice looking brisket!  I'd be all over that! 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Nice Brisket
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    The best part... Everyone went to bed and I had the thing to myself. Worst part, everybody went to bed and I had it to myself.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,532
    Options
    Great cook and result right there.  Congrats on stayin' the course and nekked to the finish. Banquet for sure-your win, their loss.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Some crazy perfect slices right there! Nice brisket.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    satch. Saying it is done when it is done is the essense of BBQ. And it is why i cant stand all these stupid bbq competitions.  I could give a rats ass what some smug judge, certified by someome else to be a bbq judge thinks about my food.  

All i want is for the people i cook for to love it amd for all to have an awesome time.  These bbq contests have become so institutional it is sickening

Make what you love and love what you make.   
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Well done man, way to perservere. Couple questions, did you ever have to reload your lump? And you never foiled/wrapped the brisket during your cook? Looks pretty awesome to me.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Satch_Q
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Well done man, way to perservere. Couple questions, did you ever have to reload your lump? And you never foiled/wrapped the brisket during your cook? Looks pretty awesome to me.
    Never had to add more lump but I did notice near the end the controller was working more to maintain temp. I filled to the top of the ring just under the platesetter  and ignited in the center only. 

Here is what was left the following morning after the cook.

And yes, no foul or paper this time around and I was happy with the result. I did run a dry drip pan resting on some small balls of foil for an air gap and was just fine. Im throughly impressed with both miserly the egg is with fuel and how well it retains moisture.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Very impressive smoke ring - looks deep and perfect bark. Nothing wrong with a midnight snack all to yourself, two hunks of bread and stand over the sink is how I do my midnight feasts...
    Patience is a virtue, I don't have time for it myself. I also want a cheap reputation for generosity,...

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    jonnymack said:
    Never had to add more lump but I did notice near the end the controller was working more to maintain temp. I filled to the top of the ring just under the platesetter  and ignited in the center only. 

Here is what was left the following morning after the cook.

And yes, no foul or paper this time around and I was happy with the result. I did run a dry drip pan resting on some small balls of foil for an air gap and was just fine. Im throughly impressed with both miserly the egg is with fuel and how well it retains moisture.

Looking at that picture, there is very little space for air to flow through the charcoal grate.  That is probably why the controller had to work more to maintain temp.  I like to leave one or two holes at the front of the grate open with no charcoal above them to prevent this problem.  Others solve it with a Hi-Q grate or a Kick-Ash basket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Mmmmm...now I gotta go buy a brisket. That looks dyno
  • Satch_Q
    Options
    @Foghorn keep in mind this is after a nearly 23.5 hr burn. The controller wasn't struggling just noticed an uptick in the output during the last hr. Overall and as usual the egg held steady pretty much on its own for most of the cook. Going from lump at the top of the fire ring down to that amount and only seeing that much ash really surprised me. I used Rockwood for the first time and I have to say I was more than happy with the results. Up to this point my only choice locally was RO and while it did the job, I'm much happier with this result. I'm sold.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    @Foghorn keep in mind this is after a nearly 23.5 hr burn. The controller wasn't struggling just noticed an uptick in the output during the last hr. Overall and as usual the egg held steady pretty much on its own for most of the cook. Going from lump at the top of the fire ring down to that amount and only seeing that much ash really surprised me. I used Rockwood for the first time and I have to say I was more than happy with the results. Up to this point my only choice locally was RO and while it did the job, I'm much happier with this result. I'm sold.

Noted.  The egg is a remarkable cooking vessel.  Having good charcoal definitely minimizes the risk of unforeseen issues.

San Antonio, TX