Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef chuckie

Options
Worked from home today and took the opportunity to smoke/braise a 3 pound beef chuckie, which normally would be a weekend cook. Kept it about as simple as possible with some pecan and cherry chunks at about 300 degrees. Salt, pepper, garlic powder (thought it was garlic salt but reading accuracy has never been my strong suit) applied after moistening with worchestershire. Cooked to 170 and placed in foil pan with beef stock for the braise and raised the temp to about 350. Internal temp was 213 degrees when probed like butter. Lots of ways to jazz up this cook, but I kept it simple. Took about six hours total. Some horseradish sauce on bun and mashed potatoes completed the plate. Photos out of order, of course.

Stillwater, MN

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,543
    Options
    Oh yeah!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks delicious brother!  Yuengling, yup!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    The beer was a special delivery because we can't find it here in the upper midwest. A buddy just returned from a Clark Griswold style trip to Florida with his family last week and was nice enough to find room the family truckster for a case of one of my favorite beers.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The beer was a special delivery because we can't find it here in the upper midwest. A buddy just returned from a Clark Griswold style trip to Florida with his family last week and was nice enough to find room the family truckster for a case of one of my favorite beers.
    Good to know who your friends are. Your buddy is one!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Yes sir, that is a winner. Nicely Done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Looks tasty... Job well done...

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Gorgeous! 
    Is it possible to do a chuck roast on a Small BGE ?  (asking for a relative)  I said yes...
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Nerdy nice job. Was it a homemade horseradish sauce?  If so, tell us about it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    We have Yuengling everywhere around here.  It's my go to budget beer.  What I can't find is Molson Golden.  Only can get it when we go to Cleveland.  That and Great Lakes Brewing. 

About the beef; looks really tasty.  Did you feel it was too fatty after you finished the cook?  Mrs. 500 doesn't want me to do a pulled beef chuck roast cause she thinks it will be too fatty.  Tried to convince her it will be "moist" but not greasy.  Your thoughts?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Killer sandwich!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options

I have no idea how "Very" got changed to "Nerdy" by autocomplete but it made for a strange comment. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Well done.  Thanks for sharing!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • StillH2OEgger
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My wife has affectionately used that term to describe me after taking photos of our food, describing the process and then posting it online for others to see, so no offense taken. (-:
    The sauce was not homemade.
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    500 said:
    About the beef; looks really tasty.  Did you feel it was too fatty after you finished the cook?  Mrs. 500 doesn't want me to do a pulled beef chuck roast cause she thinks it will be too fatty.  Tried to convince her it will be "moist" but not greasy.  Your thoughts?
    It's not too hard to sift out the fattier chunks. Perhaps I have a higher tolerance for it, but I would describe it more as moist and juicy than greasy. My wife is a fat-trimming machine when it comes to things like steak and prime rib and she enjoys the pulled beef.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    500 wrote "What I can't find is Molson Golden."  Golden is available in Maryland, which is surprising given our weird liquor laws.  It is even available in Montgomery County (Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, etc.), which is even more shocking as all alcoholic beverages are sold only through the County liquor stores.  Even restaurants and beer stores MUST buy through the County's monopoly.
    What I can't find anywhere in the US, and miss, is Molson Golden Ale.  I think they still sell it in Canada.  It was THE staple of my college, which was in upstate New York (i.e., near Canada) back in the dark ages.  Molson Export Ale is still sold in the US, but is not the same.  Molson Golden claims to be some sort of special beer with an ale taste, but it seems like a typical Canadian lager to me.

Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Ah man.  Pulled beef sammiches is one of my favorite things off the egg.  Excellent job. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Abter said:
    500 wrote "What I can't find is Molson Golden."  Golden is available in Maryland, which is surprising given our weird liquor laws.  It is even available in Montgomery County (Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, etc.), which is even more shocking as all alcoholic beverages are sold only through the County liquor stores.  Even restaurants and beer stores MUST buy through the County's monopoly.
    What I can't find anywhere in the US, and miss, is Molson Golden Ale.  I think they still sell it in Canada.  It was THE staple of my college, which was in upstate New York (i.e., near Canada) back in the dark ages.  Molson Export Ale is still sold in the US, but is not the same.  Molson Golden claims to be some sort of special beer with an ale taste, but it seems like a typical Canadian lager to me.

One of my friends brought back a case of Labatt Blue from Canada when I was in college and I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever tasted at the time. The stuff we bought down here thereafter was definitely not up to snuff. I had it again on a fishing trip (and some Molson Golden, which I also like a lot) and it was as wonderful as I remembered the first time, but I haven't purchased beer imported from Canada since. The lesson here is that you apparently must go to the source. The crap they're selling down here is garbage.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Is it possible to do a chuck roast on a Small BGE ?  (asking for a relative)  I said yes...
    Absolutely. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger
    Great looking grub brother

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jazimmerman
    Options
    Abter said:

Growing up in Western NY, we drank a lot of Canadian beer.. Always liked Molson Export, but we'd make beer runs to Niagara Falls to get Molson Brador. That was some strong stuff. Thanks for the memory, that was a long time ago!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great looking cook there. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Kicking it with a Yuengling. Nice! :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great looking grub! I always seem to struggle making pulled beef for some reason.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon