Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire box and ring went from black to white tonight

Options
I had no idea this could happen.  My years old fire box / fire fire ring were the typical charred black when I started my cook tonight (pizza).  I lit the fire and went into my office to do some work.  Well I let too much time pass and when I went back to the egg much of the lump had burned away and I was having a hard time maintaining much over 500º.  I looked and there wasn't really a lot of lump left.  So I made a hasty decision to add more lump and wait out the pre-burn / heat of of the new lump.  I had never done this previously.  But needless to say 10 - 15 minutes later I had an inferno going in my egg.  And it took some work to get it tamed and ready to put the pizzas on.  But even after some work the fire was persistent and alive.  This thing was going!  But the temp seemed correct so I forged on.  When I re-inserted the stone (the lower one to deflect the flame / heat) the flames began flowing around the stone.  Anyway, long story short..I cooked the pizzas, they came out great, and just now I went out to check that the fire went out and to close everything up. To my surprise I found this...

:o How does that happen?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    clean burn...

this happens at high heat + time.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    That's what they call a clean burn. Looks good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Yes clean burn and you must of had both vents wide open and you were gone for a long time.  I have done 500+ pizza cooks for over 2 hours that didn't burn that much lump.  Was it full or about half full?  Just a little loss in some lump you could have used to cook with nothing else it seems, but a nice clean fire box.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Yes clean burn and you must of had both vents wide open and you were gone for a long time.  I have done 500+ pizza cooks for over 2 hours that didn't burn that much lump.  Was it full or about half full?  Just a little loss in some lump you could have used to cook with nothing else it seems, but a nice clean fire box.
    I did have them both open at first.  I was intending to go back pretty soon to shut them down a bit.  I got involved in some work thing and completely forgot.  I think I was 1/2 - 2/3 full when I started.  When I refilled the lump that's when the super high heat and flames came.  There were flames coming through the open top vent for a short while!