Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are there any BGE events at all in Texas?

Options
hi everyone
im pretty new to the forum,are there any events in Texas? How do you find out about them?
thanks so much

Comments

• jimithing
    Options
    Yep there are Eggfests put on by different distributors around the state.  What part of Texas are you in?  You can google "Texas Eggfest" and find them.  The one in Athens is pretty big

http://athenseggfest.com/

There are also shindigs put together by board members here.  I think there was one towards the end of last year down by Austin somewhere.  Pretty good attendance from what I remember.  I'm sure someone that went to it will come along pretty soon and tell you about it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    jimithing. Thanks for the link!!
    im in Brownsville 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    this is a great one, i bought my egg there a few years back
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Salado in March. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    hi everyone
    im pretty new to the forum,are there any events in Texas? How do you find out about them?
    thanks so much
    Must have at least 6 and still growing.

Salado Eggfest is March 12, and the above link for Athens. These are my 2 favorite fest in Texas.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Salado in March
    Austin/Driftwood (Texas Eggfest)  April 30th
    Athens Eggfest April 9th

Salado is by far the most fun that I've been to. Heard great things about Athens too but I keep my powder (and liver) dry for Salado. 

If you are going to one in TX, Salado is it for me.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    We also have a new one this year in Spring (north Houston) on May 21st. Here is the link for the Space City eggfest.   Spacecityeggfest.com. Be sure to look us (Spring Chicken) up at any of these fests and say hello.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Salado Eggfest, Salado TX March 12

Athens Eggfest, Athens TX April 9-   http://athenseggfest.com/

Texas Eggfest April 30 -  http://www.bbqoutfitters.com/eggfest-home-2016

Space City Eggfest May 21 Spring TX - http://spacecityeggfest.com/

Jefferson Eggfest, Jefferson TX October 8 - 

http://jeffersoneggfest.blogspot.com/

This should keep us busy! @Captainjimpark stop by and visit.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Memorial day weekend in Mckinney, TX. My local dealer is having their first Eggfest. May 27th. They are looking for cooks also. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    List for Salado... Triple A

Appetite 
    Alcohol 
    Aspirin
    Repeat as needed 

You'll meet friends at Salado. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Anybody attending Austin? I just got an egg and was interested in participating in the cook offs to win an egg.
    Austin, Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Anybody attending Austin? I just got an egg and was interested in participating in the cook offs to win an egg.
    Several of us will be there. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I think we (Texas) have the most with FL a close second. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgeaddikt
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Awesome! Any of yall participating or just attending? This would be my first Egghead event.
    Austin, Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    Awesome! Any of yall participating or just attending? This would be my first Egghead event.
    Janell and I will be cooking. Others that would normally be cooking here but not limited to:

@hotch and shelly
    @lakewade and Susan (they are cooking for sure)
    @eggobsessed and @NoJokeSmoke
    @Austin Egghead and Lloyd
    @villageidiot is known to show up from time to time
    @springchicken and @springhen

and many others.

There will be others for sure. Some out of town folks make it too but Salado is bigger for that.

Jump in and cook. You can have one of our eggs for a while if you want to throw something out there. We will have 4 between us and Lakewade/Susan.

• Photo Egg
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Unless the format has changed...an individual cook would have about a zero percent chance of winning anything...
    You would be up against "sponsored teams" with multiple cooks.
    Not the same casual, cooking, visiting and learning environment that you see at most Eggfests. There are many smaller groups but they do get overshadowed easily.
    For a first time cook I would highly recommend Salado or Athens Texas.

Would also help if you added your location to your signature line.

Hope to se you at one of the Fests. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    Unless the format has changed...an individual cook would about a zero percent chance of winning anything...
    Not the same casual, cooking, visiting and learning environment that you see at most Eggfests. There are many smaller groups but they do get overshadowed easily.

agreed. We are not there to win...and frankly it's not as fun as the others. We are just there to drink beer and cook all day. I haven't been back in 3 years because it's definitley much more "corporate" than Salado (and Athens I hear).

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @Photo_Egg:  They HAVE changed the voting format this year, as I found out from Nikki.  I think they figured out there was a LOT of "funny business" going on with the voting last year.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    bgeaddikt said:
    Unless the format has changed...an individual cook would have about a zero percent chance of winning anything...

How do i go about updating my location? Not sure if i can do this on the mobile app. Im in north Austin borderline with Pflugerville/Round Rock. I would only participate for the fun and experience and as a team. If its serious competition then nah. I could bring my egg if needed or cook on someones if they want a cook.
    Austin, Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Why does the Austin area have 2 of them nearby and there's only 1 near the DFW area? And it's not really that close to DFW.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Why does the Austin area have 2 of them nearby and there's only 1 near the DFW area? And it's not really that close to DFW.
    Depends on getting a dealer willing to organize the Eggfest.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Photo Egg said:
    bgeaddikt said:

How do i go about updating my location? Not sure if i can do this on the mobile app. Im in north Austin borderline with Pflugerville/Round Rock. I would only participate for the fun and experience and as a team. If its serious competition then nah. I could bring my egg if needed or cook on someones if they want a cook.
    I live in Round Rock, come cook with us in Salado and Athens. Can meet for coffee and we can talk in detail.

John Wallace aka Egger Ave
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein