Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heading to Chicago this weekend any recommendation?

Options
Hey Guys & Gal, 
I'm heading to Chicago this weekend with my Dad and Father in-law and i'm looking for a few good recommendations and would love some input from the form?

Thanks,
Eggingout1983
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    The original Gino's East with the sausage pin wheel pizza. Amazing 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    hugo's frog bar is awesome
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like to sit at the bar at Shaws crab house and just order apps. Throw a dart for a good steak. Unlikely to get in at Joe's accross the street from Shaws. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nothing first hand, I've never been outside of O'Hare. :) If you want pizza though, the well known deep dish places are (in no particular order) Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Pequod's, Pizano's, Gino's East, Pizzeria Uno (not the franchise joints, the original restaurant which is actually supposed to be good) and Due (owned by Uno's). At some point, I've heard guys claim one or the other as their favorite. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Depends on what area you'll be in, but...
    Hopleaf 
    Green St Smoked Meats 
    Owen and Engine 
    Kumas's corner 

L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Joes and Gibsons are two classic spots but there are a ton of good places there.  They just opened a shake shack there is you haven't been before.  Pretty decent burger place started in NYC. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Where are you staying and what do you like to do? Tapas is always fun. Cocktails in the signature lounge at night. 
    Fancy - prime and provisions
    comedy show at second city
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Table 52 is great.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,040
    Options
    Ginos East. BYOB
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    In addition to telling us the general area you will be staying it would also help letting us know what type fare you have in mind. I mean there are some terrific $teak house$ which are above and beyond the tourist trap types, but also there are the sports themed magnets. Also the many renown pizza spots. But again please narrow it down -  where will you be staying? 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you're a beer guy, I second the vote for hopleaf 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Yes, be careful.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I've heard great things about a Girl & The Goat, but never been to Chitown myself.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    There are endless delicious options beyond the "go-to" names associated with Chicago.  One of our favorite sources for recommendations is  http://checkplease.wttw.com/. The site is searchable by cuisine, location and price. Hope you have fun!
    IL 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Love Gino's East for deep dish, Chicago style pizza. Gibson's has excellent, but expensive steaks.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Check out a site called lthforum.com. It is a Chi foodie forum. They maintain a list called the Great Neighborhood Restaurant guide. The places are member nonimated, and reviewed each year. They have 150 places sorted by type of food, and location. I haven't been to a single place on that list that I haven't been really happy with. Typically, the places range from down home w. just a couple of seats or just carry-out to mildly classy with a good bar. Rarely take a big bite from the wallet while offering food well beyond average.

There are also ton's of postings on that forum for about every place in the Chi area.

While I'm a big fan of Chicago deep dish, I know a fellow who operates the best Neapolitan-style pizzeria in my area, and he recommends Spacca Napoli.

Also, check out the Michelin guide. The 1-star places are not too hard to get into, and the costs are not (quite) astronomical. They also have the "Bib Gourmand" list of places that serve food that is often as good as a 1 star, but might not have alcohol or dessert on the menu.

I you are willing to travel to the south edge of the Chi area, 3 Floyd's brew-pub in Munster, IN has beer that is among the best in the country, and the is way better than average.

If you like sausage, and want to take some home, try Gene's Sausage shop, or Paulina market. Paulina has  bigger selection of sausages, maybe 80 varieties, while Gene's has about 40. But Gene's kiszka is spectacular.

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    Hit the West loop (downtown) for sure.  up and coming area that not many know about yet.  start at the Haymarket Pub & Brewing (Brewmaster/Owner has most trophies that I know of and started Bourbon Barrel brewing in chicago).  They have great, simple fare - Sausagefest was 2 weeks ago.  Then, 3 doors down is Girl & a Goat (mentioned before) and across street is another one of their restaurants (Tapas).  Haymarket guys will give you low-down on the area.  Girl & Goat is not really expensive but need to get on their waitlist.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First....take a warm coat.

Second, If out in the burgs, find a Portillo's. . Have an Italian combo beef and char-grilled sausage with sport peppers.......You will find much joy there.

http://www.portillos.com/
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beyond the good food suggestions above, if time allows go to the Field museum.  It's a treat (but requires several hours easy).  Great if inclement weather.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I read through everything above very quickly so apologies if I needlessly repeat anything but these are some of my favorites:

Pizza & Italian - Lou Malnattis & Gino's East. (Giordano's as a backup but the other two are quite a bit better). I hear Pequod's is amazing as well but I haven't gotten over there yet. Quartino is also a good option for pizza, but even better for small plates of Italian food. Don't waste your time at Pizzeria Uno or any of those silly things.

Mexican - Xoco/Frontera/Topolobampo. TacoBurrito King is pretty great for late night/fast mexican but XoCo and the other Bayliss places are amazing! I'm also a fan of BigStar.

Gastropub/new american - The Purple Pig and/or The Publican. If you're a fan of oysters Publican is a must but both are excellent! I also really like the Weber grill, although this might be the wrong forum for that recommendation (haha)!

I've heard Smoque is the best BBQ but again, haven't visited. Chicago is a GREAT food town; good luck and have fun!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hey Guys & Gal, 
    I'm heading to Chicago this weekend with my Dad and Father in-law and i'm looking for a few good recommendations and would love some input from the form?

Thanks,
    Eggingout1983
    If you are in Greektown I highly recommend Santorinis on Halsted and Adams.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I really like Heaven on Seven for Cajun/creole.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggingout1983
    Options
    thank you to everybody !!!!
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    thank you to everybody !!!!
    I even sent you an email - see it yet?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I really like Heaven on Seven for Cajun/creole.

Ever tried Big Jones? They are more low country style, but offer some things that are cajun/creole-ish. I wanted to go to Heaven on Seven awhile back, but that was when they were closed for re-location.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Gene and Georgettis.   Spendy but if you want a hunk of meat cooke like meat is supposed to be made, thats the spot
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    If still open a bunch of us went to a place downtown that only used Weber grills to cook. Not bad
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• garyflintstone
    Options
    +1 publican and table 52 on Sunday evening has amazing buttermilk fried chicken
    Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • garyflintstone
    Options
    +1 on kumas corner for burger if you can handle heavy metal music
    Royal Oak, MI.,1 L BGE, kick ash basket
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.