Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Survey

Options
Fat cap up or down?

Why?  

Research reveals an inconclusive either/or. 
SalemsLot, Maine
BGE.L since December 2015
Cabela's model 2007-November 2015

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have tried both several times and results are same for me. I tend to go fat cap down now. No big reason why other than I apply rub more heavily on meat side and sit it in fridge to chill with it facing up then just pick up and set down on egg. Lazy I guess
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've done both. In an egg it really made no real difference either way. I go fat cap down. My justification....if something is to stick to the grate let it be a little fat. 
    Now if we're talking offsets or other vessels my answer would change. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Stand it on its side
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    Stand it on its side
    I have =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Fat cap down.  No flavor difference, but I get better bark
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Flip every 15-20 min to baste
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Fat cap up! Did two at once to compare as I was having a large party. Both were trimmed the same way one was on the left one on the right of the egg. Both weights were at 9lbs, maybe a couple ounces difference. The fire was lit in the middle of the egg, and I told my guests that we were having an experiment and to pick which meat was the better one. I tried to keep it as controlled as I could by giving each guest roughly the same area cut. About 85% of them choose the fat cap up. 

I did did this for my own sake and people might say on here that there are lots of variables even though I tried to eliminate most for my own experiment. I also watched a bunch of videos and at the end came across Aaron Franklins videos and he does it fat cap up so this is the way I have stuck to it. 

A bunch of of people on here are worried about the meat sticking but on a cook that long/low/slow nothing will stick. Having that much fat/grease drip into your drip pan below ensures those grates are greased right! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done both. I like the fat side down on  packers that have extremely thin flats, or when I do a real bad carving job. Fat side up when I have a thicker Flat, and carved correctly.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RMSmithJr
    Options
    I'm going fat down this time. Good points made on both sides (sic).

I did give the kitchen's roteserie (sp?) a real long look - won't fit under the dome.  

The meat is on.
    SalemsLot, Maine
    BGE.L since December 2015
    Cabela's model 2007-November 2015
  • clintmiller
    Options
    My best guess is it doesn't matter. But, I always start briskets fat cap down in the Egg. After 6-7 hours, when I wrap them in butcher paper, I flip them fat cap up.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @1move, I love a controlled experiment, thanks for posting.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I'm in the cap down crowd-likely no difference but that is one variable I can eliminate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.