Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shiny New UK Egg owner and first cook :P

Options
So my egg finally came yesterday  after messing up with the delivery and waiting a whole week longer than expected. My first cook had planned to be a lovely T bone steak the size of my lovely vegetarian fiancé's face but with the delay of the egg i had already devoured succulent meaty goodness frying it on a griddle. Never the less i went to my local butchers in a chase for some baby backs for the BGE maiden voyage... sold out!!! I ended up getting a lovely mini rack of spare ribs that he trimmed nicely so thought i would over share my first cook and thank you all for everything I've learned reading back through the threads. Also after doing my first cook am i safe to cook at a higher temp for pizzas tonight? 

Dan

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Looks great and welcome.  A lot of folks like to keep the temps down for the first cook and "cure" the gasket.  IMO that gasket is going to be toast eventually, and you should just get a Rutland to replace it when it goes south.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    Welcome to the madness.  Nice looking ribs.  I kept the temp below 400 for my first 2 cooks to not only help "cure" the gasket tape but to also give me time to learn temperature adjustments and where my vent settings work best.   
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    Welcome to the fold!
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You you may find your neighbors in a love/hate relationship with you.  
    Congratulations on your egg. Get ready for some great eats!!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice looking cook!! Was that amount of lump enough? I normally fill mine to where the plate setter sits. But I suppose you only had a half rack of ribs. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Congrats on your first cook, Dan. The ribs look great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Way to go!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Great start with the ribs ... they look good.  Do think about more lump for the next cook.  Nothing more frustrating - need I say embarrassing - than running out of lump near the end of a cook.

... my lovely vegetarian fiancé ...

Are you sure you've started in the correct hobby?  Or, picked the correct mate?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Good start. Go with the pizza. There is no need to run at super high temps IMO
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Almondo123
    Options
    Haha funny you should mention the lump, I had just about enough for the 5 hour cook temp started to drop just as I was carmelinsing the sauce. I will fill to the max in future. The Pizzas turned out amazing I love the egg! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome to the insanity Dan
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL