Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE owner

Options
Just to say a quick hello to you all, I have just bought a BGE 3 weeks ago and have used it most days since.  The electric bill has gone down but the charcoal bill has shot up.  Living in the uk the weather is pretty poor at the moment but that hasn't stopped us enjoying the egg.

To date we have cooked -:
Roast chicken and vegetables
various stews
rump steak
Pulled pork
Pizza
slow roast brisket
Bread and butter pudding

This forum seems to be mine of information so will be looking around to pick up tips and ask questions.

If anyone  in the UK can recommend a cheaper but better source of charcoal I would appreciate it. So far its looking like Restaurant grade Lumpwood  ACH15 by Big K, about £17 for 15kg plus delivery of £6.50.

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your new egg.  Make sure to ask lots of questions when you have them, as the people on here are very knowledgeable. 

A few pieces of advice, the cheap part of egging was buying your egg.   I spend so much more on lump and at the markets now it not even funny.  Secondly, keep your credit card handy, as your going to see lots of discussion on here about eggccessories you may like and want ( they've helped me part with large portions of my pay check).  Last but not least post pics of your cooks, rule is picks or it didn't happen.  

Again welcome and enjoy your new egg and hobby, it's tons of fun.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the machine. Tia is the place for the OCD of the BGE. The folks in here are extremely knowledgable on all things, and have helped me tremendously with my cooks on the BGE. You will find the cheapest aspect of owning a BGE was the purchase. Staying BGE is wallet genocide. Good luck in finding quality inexpensive lump. My Beautiful Wife and I were in Europe a few months ago, we bought a small bag of average quality for more than we pay for excellent lump here in the States.
    Have fun, visit often, post some images of your cooks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Sounds like you jumped right in with great results.  Above all, have fun with your BGE cooks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome from across the pond.. Having you on the forum will be interesting to see some of your cooks/pics from the perspective of different UK recipes.. Love bread and butter pudding served with a warm custard..
    Welcome again and have fun..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome to the forum ... looks like you're off to a great start ... now share some pics and a write-up or two so we can peek in on British BBQ.

BTW ... can a fellow get a good glass of iced tea in country yet?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  Glad you have been enjoying your egg and using it a lot.  You'll fit right in :)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen! Lol welcome!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Welcome to the funny farm.
    That's mighty expensive lump you are buying. I pay 9pound. 43 for a good quality 17 Kg bag in Canada ($18.99 CA)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome... Another income stream may be advisable 
  • jbsmith
    Options
    Thanks for all your encouraging and kind word of advice
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Congrats and welcome
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Wellcome, this was and still is my #1 place for learning about the BGE.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome!!!  I want to believe you have really cooked....  Pics???   LOL.... Enjoy the journey!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"