Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Igrill2-Guru probes

Options
Anyone know if I can use BBQ GURU probes with an Igrill2?  I need something that is simple to monitor pit temps with bluetooth. I want something that can graph and doesn't need wifi to work.  Enter the iGrill2. It fits all of those criteria. 

I happen to have about 5 meat probes and 4 pit probes for the Guru that are unopened. Can I use these probes with an Igrill2?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I have used other probes in my Igrill2 with no problem. Not sure about GURU probes the pictures online look like the same style of connector.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    LRW said:
    I have used other probes in my Igrill2 with no problem. Not sure about GURU probes the pictures online look like the same style of connector.

Well I guess I'll find out in a few days if it will work.  Thanks for the response. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Grim, I don't have a clue. I have never used any of the controllers. My guess would be that if they will hook up, they will probably work. Again, I don't know for sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    For the record, I miss the original avatar.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am 99% sure they don't work. The connector sizes are different if I remember correctly. I can confirm when I get home but I have 2 spare guru probes and I bought new ones for the igrill and I remember checking.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    yeah, I do too. I think I may go back.  It just fits!
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    yeah, I do too. I think I may go back.  It just fits!
    Just ain't the same buddy. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Lit said:
    I am 99% sure they don't work. The connector sizes are different if I remember correctly. I can confirm when I get home but I have 2 spare guru probes and I bought new ones for the igrill and I remember checking.
    I appreciate it. 
  • Lit
    Options
    They aren't the same guru is larger. Igrill on the left guru on the right.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Lit.  I guess my surplus of guru cables won't help me.  I was thinking it could be nice running 4 pit temp probes while I learn the new pit. Figure out if there are any hot spots.  
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    That sucks
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    I'm not sure you couldn't just change the plug, just a thought.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    ScottNC said:
    I'm not sure you couldn't just change the plug, just a thought.
    I may be better off selling my guru stuff and just buying new probes though. I don't know if I could find the right plug either.. But it is an interesting thought. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Not sure it would work 'cuz of the possible resistance differences ... or at least that's what the electrical guys say.  It might be better to build an adapter.  Male plug to fit the iGrill and female plug to fit the Guru ends.  That would allow you to check it out without ruining one of the probes.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Options
    Thanks @Lit.  I guess my surplus of guru cables won't help me.  I was thinking it could be nice running 4 pit temp probes while I learn the pit. Figure out if there are any hot spots.  
    There is an ambient probe for the igrill that isn't pointed for pit temps. The food probes will also work but they react a little slower but not a big issue.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Not sure it would work 'cuz of the possible resistance differences ... or at least that's what the electrical guys say.  It might be better to build an adapter.  Male plug to fit the iGrill and female plug to fit the Guru ends.  That would allow you to check it out without ruining one of the probes.
    Or you could use an ohm meter to check the resistance at a few known temps and compare. If they are the same between the Guru and iGrill probe, swap out as needed. I like the adapter idea though as you could use them for either monitor.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Too bad there isn't a RadioShack on every street corner. A simple adapter will fix the size difference for about $5. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Too bad there isn't a RadioShack on every street corner. A simple adapter will fix the size difference for about $5. 
    There is a radio shack a block from work. I'm going to try and figure it out. I've not done much hobby electrical work though.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy ... take the iGrill and the Guru probes in with you.  As @DaveRichardson suggests, they might have an assembled adapter already available ... would make the solution idiot proof.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• onionlips
    Options
    I have the iGrill2 and use one of the meat probes with a $5 clip for ambient without any issue. However, I am interested in adding some additional probes. Anyone know what brands fit and work on the iGrill without additional adaptor or wire splicing?
    Deadhead gone Egghead
  • Lit
    Options
    onionlips said:
    I have the iGrill2 and use one of the meat probes with a $5 clip for ambient without any issue. However, I am interested in adding some additional probes. Anyone know what brands fit and work on the iGrill without additional adaptor or wire splicing?
    I have tested both next to each other and the ambient one got to temp faster. Both did end up at the same temp though. I just stick the ambient through my dome hole and it works great no clip needed.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    As @Lit says, iGrill probes fit in the dome hole. Use the silicone piece to position the probe.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Don't know which way you need to go but google search for a 2.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Adaptor. Or just go to:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7121

If the other way search for:

3.5Mm Mono Plug To 2.5Mm Mono Jack Adaptor

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Keep in mind they may be different type of temperature probes in which case they would not interchange.  For example, if one is a thermistor (resistance) and the other is a thermocouple (voltage) it will not work.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Also on a side note someone mentioned that Sam's had the Igrill2 with 4 probes for $80.  I checked my local Sam's and they were there.  (Didn't pull the trigger because my Maverick is still limping along).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Firemanyz
    Options
    I was at Sams and this fell into my cart this morning. I hope it's as good as you all say. I have a thermoworks chefalarm and only used it a few times and the probe stopped responding. I was very careful to protect it and gently hand washed it. So I hope it holds up better. Bonus is there are 4 probes in this set. 
  • onionlips
    Options
    Man.... I paid $99.00 for mine last year and only got 2 probes!  The local hardware here is asking $25.00 for each additional iGrill probe.  For that price I might as well just buy that set from Sams and have 2 of these things running 6 probes total! LOL
    Deadhead gone Egghead
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Pretty nice tracking chart of pricing on Amazon and 3rd party.  Down to 77 yesterday on Amazon, and $69.00 from a 3rd party seller.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/iDevices-IGR0009P5-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/product/B00NC4KU42?context=browse
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing  The key with the one at SAMs is it has four probes not the standard two.