Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some quick help please: Beef Ribs

Options
I picked up some beef ribs from local grocery store. I grabbed the short ribs and asked the butcher if they had anything bigger. He walked in the back, came out with a 8 pack of vacuum sealed big beef ribs.
The help needed is, I pulled them out this morning to smoke and both racks have silver skin on them. My knife work isn't good so should I leave it or risk butchering the ribs trying to remove?

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• Arkysmokin
    Options

XL BGE

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I usually use a butter knife to get it started and then pull the silver skin off with a paper towel. You can go with or without
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Leave it. I never trim my beef ribs very well. You'll have more fat to eat around after they are cooked but it's no biggie.  These are HARD to screw up. The biggest thing is to let them cook long enough. They take longer than most people figure.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    It looks like you are referring to silver skin on the opposite side to the bone.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The skin on the back isn't bad to get off in my experience. I just use a butter knife and run it down all the bones and slowly pry it up. Usually can get it in one or 2 pieces.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have specified. The silver skin is not on the bone side. It's on the meat. I just pulled the membrane off which was a pain.

XL BGE

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I will concur with whats been said above.. Beef ribs are so forgiving.. Just leave it on..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have specified. The silver skin is not on the bone side. It's on the meat. I just pulled the membrane off which was a pain.
    Then don't stress it. The membrane on the bone side you can definitely taste when they finish. The silverskin on the front, I wouldn't stress over.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    If you can easily trim some, go for it but either way will be fine.  As above, these will likely run long on the cook-go til they pass the toothpick test and you will definitely be rewarded.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you all very much

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin
    Options
    What internal temp for beef ribs? Pork I usually do the bend test.

XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Here's the key-as mentioned above-not temperature driven (but usually in the 205*F-215*F range)
    "go til they pass the toothpick test and you will definitely be rewarded."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Assuming it's similar to pork ribs, the membrane comes off so much easier if you let them sit out at room temperature a bit first.
    Stillwater, MN
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 to the above. No knife work needed really.  A little coaxing and a paper towel is that's needed. How are the ribs coming along?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. They turned out great. If I could figure out how to post a picture that I've already taken I would. 

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin
    Options
    From my phone 

XL BGE

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Awesome!!  I don't subscribe to the whole "pics or didn't happen" jabber.  I'm sure it was great!