Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Prime Brisket

Options
Got another one for $2.99/LB.
Need another freezer.
It never ends.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looked today, only had flats, for the second time. Boooo
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    They had three full packers in Louisville today, and several choice packers.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @YukonRon- After many years of the packer doldrums (prime or choice) the local Costco has definitely raised their brisket game.   A few years ago finding them was a quasi-random event.  Quite likely Jan-April then a crap-shoot for the rest of the year.  Now they are much more consistent-and I'm all-in with that.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    We've only had Prime at ours for at least a year now. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon- After many years of the packer doldrums (prime or choice) the local Costco has definitely raised their brisket game.   A few years ago finding them was a quasi-random event.  Quite likely Jan-April then a crap-shoot for the rest of the year.  Now they are much more consistent-and I'm all-in with that.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Will do. This is my 4th I bought on the last few trips. When I see it for less than $3.50/lb prime, I will pick one up.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Angela said:
    We've only had Prime at ours for at least a year now. 
    Where is it?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    We ALL HATE you!,,
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    My costco sucks! 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I feel just awful for you all that don't have prime brisket at your local Costco.
    I own an old Ford and a Yeti, I was due a break.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I was at my Costco today and all they had was choice flats. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @lousubcap was 100% correct, our Costco has got their game together with brisket, and I will take it. 
    I would love to have some prime pork bone in chops, and we don't .
    As with anything I guess, take what is there and do the best you can.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Mine has choice flat and prime packers.  Pretty consistent.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    YukonRon, I was in your Costco Monday.  I thought I looked over the meat display and I failed to see those prime packers.  Will have to give it another look.  Or are these in a freezer section?  Having not yet bought one, I guess I'm not real certain where to check, but would like to get 1 or 2 to have on hand.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I just want a Costco
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    We only have SAMs, they onot carry choice flats, boooo
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Only choice flats I've found here in the Atlanta Costco.
    dissapointing!!

cab flats are 6.99 a pound at publix!

thank goodness for srf and their packers 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Damn. They went up. They were 2.79 per lb. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I was staring at $2.49 Prime today at the new HEB outside of Austin.  Didnt buy as I didnt need 15# before going out of town.  Daughter wasnt happy, she wanted the brisket.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Rub it in. Almost had my buddy freeze and mail me a prime packer from Dallas. I could pay for it and shipping and still get it cheaper than a choice flat in Atlanta. 

Now- hogs and shoulders and maybe even chicken I can get prices on 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    YukonRon, I was in your Costco Monday.  I thought I looked over the meat display and I failed to see those prime packers.  Will have to give it another look.  Or are these in a freezer section?  Having not yet bought one, I guess I'm not real certain where to check, but would like to get 1 or 2 to have on hand.
    Kind of goofy how they are set up. These were in between the lamb and Pork section in the butcher area. They had 3 prime, I got one, and 10-12 choice. I thought they might had sold out when I got there, saw long lines at the check out counter and several packers in the carts.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Rub it in. Almost had my buddy freeze and mail me a prime packer from Dallas. I could pay for it and shipping and still get it cheaper than a choice flat in Atlanta. 

Is SRF an option for you?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    FATC1TY said:

Is SRF an option for you?
    I'd like to think so. Have spent close to 1k with them in the last 5 weeks. 

Can't beat it. I like my prime primals at Costco to cut down myself and vac pack for us though. The roasts and briskets at srf are amazing. The steaks are even better but aren't priced as good. 

Havent pulled trigger on the eye of ribeye but the steaks are out of this world on a spider and ci grate reverse seared before hand. 

A shame packers are far and few between here in Georgia. As a Texan raised- it hurts!
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Wow. Is there a RD in your area?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Wow. Is there a RD in your area?
    I think one maybe 1.5 hours away. Not exactly close 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I get a some there, both prime and choice. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Well since we vacation in Dallas every summer I will be looking for prime brisket in the future, anyone wanna point me in the right direction, we are not Costco members, only SAMs.
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    I am absolutely shocked at what I am going to say.  I purchased my first SRF Black Brisket and smoked it today.  Both my wife and I agree that the Prime Briskets from Costco are better and much cheaper.  

I could have had an unlucky cut, but visibly the marbling did not look as good, and it showed in the final product.  No lie, it stalled for nearly 4 hours at 162 degrees (275 grid). 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @EggDan- I occasionally have had similar comments.  I will venture that the level of marbling/fat content is a major factor in the comments.  But  I would always default to that which SWMBO enjoys-a key to living for another day ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Costo prime brisket whole has been awesome.  I made two since Christmas, both 17 lbs+ and they were spectacular
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn Ron!  Score brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga