Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Project - $50 Globe Slicer

Options
Well......I picked up another project on Craigslist. It's a late 30's early 40's Globe 75 slicer. I couldn't resist the price. It's definitely a project. It currently works as a slicer but needs some tlc. It has the original motor that runs but will need to be taken apart and cleaned. The slicer is friction driven and one of the rubber gears has harden after 75 - 80 years. It will be interesting if I can find a new replacement. The slicer should be almost dead quiet but makes a slight noise with the gear hardened. It's missing a handle on the gravity feed but can be machined in my dad's shop. I think the hardest part of the project will be fixing a crack in the aluminum knife guard. New replacement guards are out of the question. Not willing to spend $250+ on a safety guard. So I'll maybe have to find someone that knows how to weld aluminium. What I'm hoping to do is strip everything down and sandblast it before getting it powder coated. I'm thinking it might become a nice center piece in the kitchen. Obviously not an overnight project but something I might enjoy doing over time. Am I in over my head? Probably. It happens frequently with projects. My goal is under $300 for everything. If I can get a close to new functioning slicer that looks descent I'll be happy. Fingers crossed!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nice!  The way you get yourself into projects, I suspect we are a lot alike!  Have fun.

Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    That's a terrific project! BTW about the cracked aluminum guard...I rebuilt my Father's huge 1/2" Black & Decker drill with an all aluminum case. The  D handle at the back had a huge crack. I took the piece to a radiator repair shop and the guy only charged me $10 to weld it. BTW this drill is a monster with very low RPM but torque that is incredible!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's a terrific project! BTW about the cracked aluminum guard...I rebuilt my Father's huge 1/2" Black & Decker drill with an all aluminum case. The  D handle at the back had a huge crack. I took the piece to a radiator repair shop and the guy only charged me $10 to weld it. BTW this drill is a monster with very low RPM but torque that is incredible!

My FIL has a very similar drill. It's a brute!

i wish I could find project like this. I'm not patient enough to scout CL and usually the stuff I'm interested in is 1+ hr away. 

Good luck!
  • RRP
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WeberWho - about that hardened rubber gear - couldn't any machine shop worth its salt replicate it? Also if it's as hardened as you say couldn't the replacement be made out of aluminum maybe? 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    blasting said:

Nice!  The way you get yourself into projects, I suspect we are a lot alike!  Have fun.

@blasting I drink the kool-aid way before any rational thoughts! =) About to finish up a two week stove project. I promised myself I wouldn't tear down the mixer until I finished the stove project. Somehow my wife puts up with me. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

@Carolina Q  I came across that site when trying to figure out what model I had. Thanks for the link! Didn't you pick up some slicer in the past? I think I remember you saying that 

Minnesota
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    knife guard is overrated. CT says you don't need it.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    agree, it's mandatory in fast paced industrial/commercial environment for legal compliance, for home use just use caution and common sense  =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:

have several drills like that and bigger, the high torque and low speed make them perfect for rolling/expanding boiler tubes to seal them in the head of a boiler/locamotive. thats what we use them for anyways. seen one catch, handle goes into the guys pocket, and tears the coveralls right off in a second and a half
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:

@Carolina Q  I came across that site when trying to figure out what model I had. Thanks for the link! Didn't you pick up some slicer in the past? I think I remember you saying that 
    Yep, I have a 1948 or so Globe 150. It makes some noise and sometimes I have to kick start the blade, but so far, it sure does the job. About $100 I think.

I called Globe right after I got it to see if they still had any printed material (haha) and as suspected, they did not. Globe was sold at some point and all the old stuff disappeared. The guy I spoke to was an old timer and was very familiar with the old models. He suggested oldhobartslicerparts as well as https://www.alfaco.com and http://www.nbsparts.com

Here's a restoration article on the 150 that might be of interest. 

http://theprogrammingbutler.com/blog/archives/2008/11/22/globe-gravity-feed-slicer/

And here's mine...

Good luck!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Options
    @RRP Great story and thanks for the recommendation for welding. My dad has a welder but has done very little aluminum work. Might be worth a shot.

I'm at work now but will take a picture of the rubber wheel when I get home and how it works

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @TN_Egger and @Canugghead

The previous owner never used the guard when processing meats. But doesn't the guard help keep meat juice and small pieces from flying elsewhere?

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks for the links @Carolina Q and picture of your slicer. It looks to be in nice shape. I believe I read somewhere that Globe was sold in 1991 if I'm not mistaking 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    @WeberWho - about that hardened rubber gear - couldn't any machine shop worth its salt replicate it? Also if it's as hardened as you say couldn't the replacement be made out of aluminum maybe? 
    @RRP I had a chance tonight to snap a few pictures of what I believe is called the friction drive knob. This is connected to the motor shaft that creates friction and spins the back part of the blade housing. (I flipped the blade around to show you where the drive knob meets the blade housing) Since the knob has started to harden it causes the blade to slip a little when putting it under load. This wouldn't happen with a new rubber grip. Unfortunately I can't find any new friction drive knobs. Any old available parts are going to have a same hardened issue. I have a feeling it's going to have to be custom made. I just don't think there are too many parts available especially with it being friction driven. It's an odd ball model.

Minnesota
  • RRP
    Options
    I hope I didn't mislead you as I'm hobbyist wood worker whatever plus retired financial guy and not a machinist. Adding a rubber drum shouldn't be that difficult if the metal post and bearing are still good. Good luck! 
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    edited January 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hope I didn't mislead you as I'm hobbyist wood worker whatever plus retired financial guy and not a machinist. Adding a rubber drum shouldn't be that difficult if the metal post and bearing are still good. Good luck! 
    @RRP I believe it's all 1 piece. Going to pull once I have a little more time tomorrow 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

@Carolina Q Thanks for the link. I'll have to see if it's new or if it's a previously used part. I appreciate the help! 

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Check out these old school KitchenAid mixers! The mixer on the left is a 1917 Model H KitchenAid. This was the first KitchenAid mixer made for home use. It was modeled after the ones used on WWI battleships. The mixer on the right is a KitchenAid Model F mixer from the 30s-40s. #tbt #estatesales

The attachment on the 1917 unit is a coffee grinder ... folks said it would fit on today's models.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Jeepster47 I...I...I think I love you, man.
    TN_Egger said:
    Knife guards are for The weak. Real men (and ladies) slice naked. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Those mixers are cool! Especially that model H. They would look great sitting up on a kitchen shelf as is. Thanks for the pic

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

TN_Egger said:
    Knife guards are for The weak. Real men (and ladies) slice naked. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker When you have the guards removed when slicing doesn't it throw juice/food everywhere?

Minnesota