Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for low country in pressure cooker

Options
 Hey @sgh, have you ever tried this in a pc?
Just looking for some guidance on the times and when to add what. My last adventure with a recipe from the Internet resulted in a pot of sh!t
unfit to eat. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    To be honest, I have not. But I have been wanting to try it. I wish I could help, but thus far I have not tried it in the PC. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    Hey come to find out my pressure cooker is ok. I got to thinking about it and the Swedish meatball recipe I tried was pretty thick. I added some milk and gave it a shot. Bottom 2 inches burnt black. So just did a run with some water. It sealed up just fine. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can use a "double broiler" type setup in a PC.  This is used for bread, but anything that needs protection from high heat will benefit.  Just put some water in it, then a bowl (SS preferably) with your food and let 'er rip.
    Options
    @Furall - The closest that I have come to a seafood boil in the PC is crab legs. If submerged totally in water, I run them 60 seconds under pressure with rapid release. If I pressure steam them, I run them 120 seconds under pressure. Rapid or natural release doesn't seem to make a lot of differnce when pressure steaming them. As such, to save time I rapid release them. They always turn out excellent.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Furall said:
    Hey come to find out my pressure cooker is ok. 
    Glad to hear this my friend ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Furall
    You know, I love to cook and experiment with things. But with that said, I can't help but to question the logistics of a seafood boil in the PC. Why? A simple matter of timing. The more I have though about it, I don't know what the PC would actually bring to the table. Even in huge batches (10+ gallons) my seafood boils are done in 20 minutes, give or take a minute either way. I can't help but to wonder if by the time you pressured up, then pressured down to add the next ingredient, then pressured back up then down again over and over, it actually make take longer in the PC due to the several up/down pressure cycles that it would take. You can't load everything at once as the cook times are vastly different. Example- Potates cook 20 minutes in the boil, crab 12 minutes, and shrimp about 90 seconds. If you loaded it all in the PC, the shrimp would be totally gum balls when the potatoes were finally done. To his end, and as much as I love the PC, it's use here may not be warranted. Just me pondering and thinking out loud my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    What all do you usually cook in your PC?  Trying to get an idea if I would use one enough to justify the cabinet space. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    What all do you usually cook in your PC?  Trying to get an idea if I would use one enough to justify the cabinet space. 
    Every kind of bean that you can imagine. Rice, goulash, beefaroni, salt pork, ham hocks, chuck roast, bottom round roast, stew, soup etc, etc. All my fried rabbit, squirrel, raccoons and black birds get finished in the PC with either roux or thick gravy. The PC is not a end all device. However it opens up a lot of doors. Almost anything that you do in a slow cooker can be done in a PC. But instead of taking hours, it takes only minutes. As much wild game as you eat, I'm stunned that you don't already have a PC. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    It will make some killer corn on the Cobb in less than 8 minutes as well. The list just goes on and on. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SGH said:
    It will make some killer corn on the Cobb in less than 8 minutes as well. The list just goes on and on. 
    @SGH what do you put in with the corn. I have to know. I have become a pressure cooking monster
  • Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    I had my doubts as well. Figured I would ask you in particular since you seem to pretty knowledgable with the pc. Time to break out the turkey pot and propane burner I guess. Thanks for the help. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Damn you. Im gonna buy one now. My little boy turns five in a few weeks, think i might get him a pressure cooker. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    slovelad said:
    @SGH what do you put in with the corn. I have to know. I have become a pressure cooking monster
    It depends. I'm a huge fan of hot/spicy corn. So at times I use liquid crab boil to steam/pressure cook the corn. Be warned my friend, it's not for the timid or faint of heart. The corn is fireball hot. Later tonight i will post a few excellent PC corn recipes.  

Status- Standing by.