Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Game time

Options
2»

Comments

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

Defense and special teams win championships....Clemson fell short on both...that last score cost some folks a sh_t pot load of money....Some bookies in Vegas out on the balcony last night...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many people thought Alabama would walk all over Clemson.  Not just here but in general on other forums, etc.  What did you expect from the #1 and #2 teams that had a really strong season against really strong opponents?  
    I knew it would be a close game and could have gone either way.  
    It was a great game even in the last minutes - both teams played with a lot of heart.  Glad the Tide came out on top but have mad respect for Clemson this year.  

RTR! 
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pasoegg said:

Defense and special teams win championships....Clemson fell short on both...that last score cost some folks a sh_t pot load of money....Some bookies in Vegas out on the balcony last night...

Bookies have vigorish built in to their payout.  They make money regardless of who wins.
    Options
    Chicklet said:
    I'm surprised at how many people thought Alabama would walk all over Clemson.  Not just here but in general on other forums, etc.  What did you expect from the #1 and #2 teams that had a really strong season against really strong opponents?  
    I think the general consensus of Alabama blowing them away is based largely on SEC superiority and dominance in general. Like it or not, all the other divisions outside of the SEC are pretty weak when compared to the SEC. The SEC is the SEC's own worst enemy. They dismantle and beat each other down all year while all others play a padded schedule. That said, a mediocre SEC team will usually beat the best team that another weaker division has to offer. Not every time, but most of the time. Think back to Bama and ND a couple of years ago. A one sided massacre and blow out. When you figure in the genius of Saban and Kiffin, the odds mount even higher. Two masters guiding the greatest team in the league. I myself really thought it would be around 48-3 in Bamas favor. You use the example above of the #1 team vs the #2 team. Think of this though, if Clemson had to play the same schedule that Bama had to play, do you think that they would have still been #1 at the end of the year? No, they would have been very lucky to even be in the top 10. Not taking anything away from Clemson, they did far better than I ever dreamed that they would. But with Kiffins genius and Alabamas horsepower, I was actually dumbfounded that it was not the biggest blowout in history. On paper, Clemson never had a chance. But to their credit, they almost defied the odds. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Well, I predicted Bama by 10-14.  I was wrong.
    Well, there's a first time for everything! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Bama's special teams were the difference.  1 Clemson field goal deflected and 1 TD return is a 10 point swing before the momentum effects.  Then add in one on-sides kick recovery.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    pasoegg said:

Bookies have vigorish built in to their payout.  They make money regardless of who wins.
    If a book has $10,000 in bets on the favorite and $20,000 on the underdog and the underdog covers, the 10 percent vig won't prevent a debit on the ledger. My guess is most bookmakers would tell you they make the majority of their money on the ignorance of the betting public, not the vig.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Special teams were the difference in this one.  That onside kick was a killer momentum changer.   Bama D wasnt stellar but clemson d was awful late in the game.  A 5 yard swing pass for a touch?  Defense wins championships. That applies to lack of defense as well in clemson's case.   Both featured excellent players and incredible plays.  It was an entertaining game and thr phx area got a lot of southern culture with all of the folks who visited
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pasoegg said:

If a book has $10,000 in bets on the favorite and $20,000 on the underdog and the underdog covers, the 10 percent vig won't prevent a debit on the ledger. My guess is most bookmakers would tell you they make the majority of their money on the ignorance of the betting public, not the vig.
    They set and adjust the odds based on enticing equal bets on both sides.  That's why you see the odds change with time.  Trust me, if they have a 2:1 bet on Alabama with a -7, they'll move it to -10 or -14 to get more people to bet for Clemson.  Also, they can adjust the payout.  Like horse racing, betting on the favorite pays much less than on a long shot.

Similar to prostitution, gambling is one of the oldest trades, and the house always wins in the end.