Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef brisket - calling all experts

Options
picked up a small pre seasoned corned beef brisket.

yes, I already have it soaking in water, and I will change the water a few time over the next dozen hours.

i would like to make sandwich meat for Cubans.... I love Cubans.

any advice on how to cook?  

I have a pressure cooker. I thought about cooking on the egg for a litte bit to get a nice crust, then throw in the pressure cooker to make it tender, but I dotn wnat it to fall apart.

help!

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    slovelad said:
    picked up a small pre seasoned corned beef brisket.

yes, I already have it soaking in water, and I will change the water a few time over the next dozen hours.

i would like to make sandwich meat for Cubans.... I love Cubans.

any advice on how to cook?  

I have a pressure cooker. I thought about cooking on the egg for a litte bit to get a nice crust, then throw in the pressure cooker to make it tender, but I dotn wnat it to fall apart.

help!

So you have a bunch of people from Cuba over to the house and you love them.  Gotcha.

E-L-E!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cubans or Reuben's?  I think Cubanos are all pork.

Google pastrami and thirdeye, he has a great writeup on it.  I think his website is playing with fire and smoke if you want to search for that.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @Legume yes, Reuben, that's what I meant.! Lol awkward... 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @slovelad - Corned brisket is not my specialty my friend. But when I saw you mention the pressure cooker I wanted to chime in. Im half a$$ decent with a pressure cooker. If you decide to use the PC for part of the cook, use beef broth instead of water. It will enhance the taste instead of distorting it. Also use a rack in your PC. You don't want the beef sitting in the broth. You want it above it to avoid turning it to mush. Also I would use the PC first and finish on the BGE, not the other way around. This will firm up the outside. I would only partcially cook the beef about half way done in the PC. The size cut that you mentioned above will be tender enough at 15 PSI for 30 minutes then finished on the BGE. If you PC cooks at less than 15 PSI, just add 7 minutes to the above for time under pressure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would do pastrami if you want to use the egg to smoke.  A couple of good resources below.  The first one I have heard great things about and includes a pressure cooker finish.  This is for a "wet finished pastrami.  The cliff notes are:
    1) apply rub
    2) smoke to 150 degrees IT in the egg. 
    3) pressure cook at 15 psi for 25-40 minutes (check at 25 minutes and add more time until desired tenderness is reached).  Note the amazingribs site suggests a final finish temp of 203.  

Links:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

One more quick tip on Reubens: heat the kraut.  Just throw it in a skillet or griddle for a while to get it warm and cook off some liquid.  This will help ensure the cheese is melted when you put it all together.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Options
    I just made corned beef and cabbage 3 days ago. I covered in water, added spice pack  and cooked on high pressure for 1.5 hours. Turned out fork tender. I have not cooked much corned beef but it is a solid starting point. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    in the egg to 180 internal, good but the texture isnt right, still makes good sandwiches

same piece next day with 20 minute reheat in pressure cooker

you can see the difference in texture.  i prefer the point over the flat and do the water soak with some simmered down garlic, ill use two heads during the soak for pastrami. sgh mentioned broth in the pc and i think you could infuse garlic in the pressure cooker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    @fishlessman looks awesome! Thanks!