Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Mini-Max cooks

Options
Not much but broke her in over the weekend
while out of town, portability is doable but painful if you don't have a table..

1st ever on the MM was chicken thighs, cooked just as I expected, the crowd liked

Also cooked sausage and cheddar worst but no pics so it didn't happen

Final for the weekend was a 7lb butt, cooked for roughly 8 hours, pulled at 196 because
the crowd was hungry, but shredded easy, not too bad for the little guy

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Also no issue with running out of charcoal for the low and slow, I have yet to open her up and see what is left as I was driving home all day today, but can update if anyone is interested, I ran it at roughly 250, it did spike at times but towards the end I was ok with that as it never really went above 310 and peoples were hungry.

I loaded it to the point that the improvised plate setter was resting on the lump, which may have hurt as I noticed a small crack in my newly made plate setter as I was setting the meat on the grill, it survived the cook but may not be around much longer, need to check it out and see the extent of
    the damage 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Da Club..... Welcome!
    Seattle, WA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,089
    Options
    Very nice!!!  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice looking inaugural cooks. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    Looks good!

Options
    I acquired a MM just prior to the holidays. Have about 4-5 cooks under my belt. It is noticeably different from my medium, and has a small learning curve. Gonna like it I am certain. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Beautiful thighs.   Welcome to the mm group.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looking mighty good from here!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I like how you just brought the whole grid inside instead of taking the meat off the grill. lol.  I guess that can be a benefit to the MM I never thought of.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    You are going to love the MM. We do, and use it frequently. Awesome cooks!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    I acquired a MM just prior to the holidays. Have about 4-5 cooks under my belt. It is noticeably different from my medium, and has a small learning curve. Gonna like it I am certain. 
    Sorry....this should not have been about me.....your cooks look outstanding. All solid. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • feef706
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I like how you just brought the whole grid inside instead of taking the meat off the grill. lol.  I guess that can be a benefit to the MM I never thought of.
    I was trying to control the temp between saucings so I decided to just lift the hole grid off and keep the lid shut while I flipped then basted, worked pretty well.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. After 3 cooks I'm sold that I'm going to enjoy her for a long time.
  • feef706
    Options
    Sorry....this should not have been about me.....your cooks look outstanding. All solid. 
    Your fine, I do the same thing all the time
  • feef706
    Options
    For those who are interested. Below is the lump remaining after the butt, more than I expected but it's hard to tell in the pic.

Also is a pic of the improvised plate setter, used a angle grinder with a tile blade, took about 20 mins but wasn't hard to do. The crack doesn't look too bad at the moment, not sure if I can do anything to keep it from growing 

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Glad you are breaking in the MM.....I am looking forward to my call from a friend/dealer to go pick mine up when he gets em in!!!  Will be an added bonus to the camper/boat/hunting camp!!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice group of MM inaugural cooks. Enjoy
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL