Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Local Breweries

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Do you drink from your local breweries?  What's your favorite craft?  I've found a few IPAs & DIPAs, Ales and Stouts  I'm fond of. & You?  Support your local breweries. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Live in KC so I drink the various Boulevard beers as often as I can.  Tank 7 and The Calling are my current favorites.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    I do myself, but unfortunatelly they are about a 30 min drive each way. Conquest here in Columbia is my preferred.......with the Hunter Gather a close secound. I keep a clean empty Grawler in my trunk.....so if in the area.....I am prepared. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Victory is just a stumble away.....  Their storm king stout is my "usual".  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Blake we enjoy some good ones here. Intuition is great, Aardwolf, Bold City to name a few. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    Absolutely!  I feel rather fortunate living in Michigan and have several World Class breweries. I love Founders, Bell's Brewing Co., and Short's, as well as several of our smaller breweries that haven't made it to wider distribution like Kuhnhenn's Brewing Co., Dragonsmead, & Perrin Brewing Co.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Brother @NPHuskerFL look in to Zipline Brewing co. here in good old Lincoln, NE. Fantastic brews, haven't had one I haven't enjoyed. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grillinois
    Options
    Fortunate to be in the Chicago suburbs. Goose Island turns out some good stuff.  Black Friday was Bourbon County Stout release day. I've had all six variants. Good stuff for sure. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    We have local breweries now in my area.
    Take a look/listen at the Alabama State representatives viewpoint on them becoming legal.
    https://youtu.be/MZoTJzh13n8  
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm in the south side of Atlanta. A good friend runs a brewery in the old city of Hampton Jailhouse.  He named it Jailhouse Brewing. All beers are jail themed. Mugshot IPA. BREAKOUT Stout. Misdemeanor Ale. Slammer Wheat. Conjugical Visit Red. 

Tours are done twice a week; Lockdown on Thursdays and Visitation on Saturdays. 

We we have egged in the courtyard during those times as well. Good guys!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Absolutely!  I feel rather fortunate living in Michigan and have several World Class breweries. I love Founders, Bell's Brewing Co., and Short's, as well as several of our smaller breweries that haven't made it to wider distribution like Kuhnhenn's Brewing Co., Dragonsmead, & Perrin Brewing Co.
    Dark Horse is the hidden secret in Michigan brewing.  Great place to visit.

In Cincy, it's exploded with so many places to support.  Blank Slate Brewing, Mad Tree, Rhinegheist, 50 West, Taft's Ale House, Rivertown, Mt. Carmel, etc.  Spoiled with riches.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, sure. There's 4 in town, and more than another 20 within 30 miles. 1st craft beer I ever had was the Christmas Special for the year 2000. A Russian Imperial. That has remained a winter favorite.

Over-all, I go more for the malty styles. Except during the warm weather, when pale ales are my preference. I'll do Belgian styles pretty much any time.

Road trips to Bell's or 3 Floyd's are semi-annual treats. Bell's food has always been good, and the last few year's Floyd's food has been almost as good as their beers.

A new local place has some exceptional beers, still sort of refining their craft, but their food is some of the best in town.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky living in Maryland. I have easy access to MD/DC/VA/PA/DE breweries. I try to pimp Flying Dog since it's only a few miles from home. Otherwise, favorites are Heavy Seas, Union, and Public Works out of Bawlmer, DC Brau(family friend) in DC.
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    In Indy we are bursting at the seems with craft brewers.  Seems like one is opening every month.  I don't know where the ceiling is, but I assume we are getting close.

Props to my favorite: Tax Manhttp://www.taxmanbrewing.com

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,554
    Options
    Around here there has been tremendous growth of craft beers and there are several good ones that I support and enjoy.  My main focus is the bourbon producers and they are all excellent.   Happy New Year.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    On a side note, Purdue has been actively encouraging Indiana farmers to consider growing hops because of the craft beer boom.  There is also a lot of research on adapting a variety of hops to grow in Indiana's conditions.

Like most state's, promoting locally grown products is big and craft beer is at the forefront, however when you consider that most hops come from the west coast; it's hard to say it's "Indiana Grown."  So, Purdue identified a big opportunity for local farmers.

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    Michigan has has a recent explosion of hops farms. 
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The Boston area has quite a few breweries with more opening on a daily basis it seems, when I add New England as a whole there are a lot of great brews to be had....a few favorites

Boston- Trillium Brewing, Jack's Abby

Maine- Maine beer co., Oxbow, Allagash

Vermont- Lawson's, Alchemist, Hill Farmstead

New Hampshire- Smuttynose/ Portsmouth brewery.
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lagunitas in Chicago has a good tour and some pretty good food too. Really cool place. 
    If you ever find yourself in Peoria, IL Rhodells Brewpub is a must stop. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    I enjoy IPA's. A couple of my favorites are;

Houston - St. Arnold brewery... Endeavor and Elissa
                  - Karbach Brewery... Hopadillo

both these breweries have lots of good beers but these are my faves. 

BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    NE PA here, where some people are carrying on a long local tradition.

Weyerbacher likes 'em big and strong: Blithering Idiot is an English strong ale, very warm and sweet, the name lets you know to order them one at a time. Merry Monks is a really wonderful tripel that is also very strong. 

Stoudts makes some nice German beers, lagers and pilsners, in addition to the usual IPAs and stouts and ESBs. 

Susquehanna Brewing is just starting out with some "standard" styles, and they are doing a good job maintaining consistent quality.

There are dozens more, all far from the big cities. Those ar equation the three that come to mind right now.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    I do myself, but unfortunatelly they are about a 30 min drive each way. Conquest here in Columbia is my preferred.......with the Hunter Gather a close secound. I keep a clean empty Grawler in my trunk.....so if in the area.....I am prepared. 
    I failed to mention on my earlier post,......Conquest welcomes my pup.......and lets face it, drinking a good IPA without man's best friend would be a travisty. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I always do local.  Big on stouts and IPAs.

I always support the little guys on the road too.  I am headed to Tired Hands Brewing tomorrow outside of Philly.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not a drinker, but I like Cheerwine and it's local!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Absolutely 100% I even stopped drinking a craft brew because they sold to Buttwipper 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm always trying to go local, but I go within 2-3hrs for local.  I buy them from the store, not direct, but still. 

I'm big on North Coast right now, Lagunitas is local - technically not craft though,  Heineken owns 50%, Bear Republic, Russian River - hard to get a hold of their beers, Almanac is great for sours, list goes on. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I'm always trying to go local, but I go within 2-3hrs for local.  I buy them from the store, not direct, but still. 

I'm big on North Coast right now, Lagunitas is local - technically not craft though,  Heineken owns 50%, Bear Republic, Russian River - hard to get a hold of their beers, Almanac is great for sours, list goes on. 
    Try Blackwells... Gary is awesome
  • NavyMatty
    Options
    I live in Norfolk, VA...  SmartMouth brewing is right around the corner.  I'm a big fan of their Rule G IPA as well as their double-IPA though I can't recall the name.  We have a few other local breweries--Young Veterans in VA Beach and Beach Brewing.  I've been to the others, but it's been too many months without a cold one that I'm at a loss for beer names.  In 2 weeks, though, I'll be back in the US and ready to do my fair share of imbibing...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Dobie You gotta try Veterans United Craft Brewery. The Imperial Grunch DIPA and pretty much everything else they have on tap for pour & Growlers is solid.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mosca said:
    NE PA here, where some people are carrying on a long local tradition.

Weyerbacher likes 'em big and strong: Blithering Idiot is an English strong ale, very warm and sweet, the name lets you know to order them one at a time. Merry Monks is a really wonderful tripel that is also very strong. 

Stoudts makes some nice German beers, lagers and pilsners, in addition to the usual IPAs and stouts and ESBs. 

Susquehanna Brewing is just starting out with some "standard" styles, and they are doing a good job maintaining consistent quality.

There are dozens more, all far from the big cities. Those ar equation the three that come to mind right now.

@Mosca - I'm a big fan of Weyerbacher, been too long since I've had some. Both Blithering Idiot and Merry Monks are really good at sneaking up on you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,800
    Options
    Do you drink from your local breweries?  

To the best of my knowledge, there are not any local alcohol distillers (with the exception of shiners ;)) in my area. However, Barq's root beer is brewed and bottled right here in downtown Biloxi. I'm good for 2 or 3 a day on average. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.