Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Technique

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
edited December 2015 in Beef
After @henapple 's thread on eating steak at restaurants and the disappointment usually associated with it, I'm looking for technique and best practices for steakhouse quality steaks.

I feel that I can consistently exceed chain restaurant steaks (outback, longhorn, etc.), but am not achieving results comparable to high end steak houses such as Ruths Cris or Morton's.

What is the secret to getting over the hump and achieving steak nirvana?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• johnnyp
    Options
    @RRP per your request, the seperate thread is here for future searchability.  Please grace us with your knowledge
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    There are many ways to make the 'perfect' steak, I've had incredible luck with Grill Grates. The Prime Ribeye I pull from my egg using these is as good if not better than any steak I've had in any steakhouse ... 'cept Ruths Cris .. I don't know what they do, they have freakin' awesome steaks .. awesome!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Reverse sear and a Thermapen.  Give yourself time to roast the steak, take the temp quickly, pull it about 10 degrees before your target temp, sear quickly for color and then rest for at least five minutes.  And, buy good meat.  You'll still spend a fraction of the price of even a sh*tty chain restaurant steak.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• johnnyp
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
     'cept Ruths Cris
    That's what I'm saying!    I want the secret. Surely someone knows how reach the summit
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Never eaten at High end establishments like Ruth Chris so I'm curious of the comments here
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Are you buying Prime Grade beef?   That's my .02
    i feel I beat III Forks and that's similar to Ruth Chris'
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    Are you buying Prime Grade beef?   That's my .02
    i feel I beat III Forks and that's similar to Ruth Chris'
    I'll buy prime for special occasions.  but I feel my results remain a notch below the top tier 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited December 2015
    Options
    First, thanks for making this a separate, searchable and therefore living thread for years to come unless someone buffalos it with nasties!

I have to get up early tomorrow, but I can pretty much condense my hints in a few words...prime beef - dry aged at least 21 or 28 days - hot tubbed for an hour to 100º IT - hit with kosher salt - sear at 650 to 750 for 45 seconds, turn 90º for 45, flip for 45, turn 90º for 45 seconds - plate and rest for a minute. Top with pats of real butter to add the glistening goodness!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    RRP said:
    First, thanks for making this a separate, searchable and therefore living thread for years to come unless someone buffalos it with nasties!

I have to get up early tomorrow, but I can pretty much condense my hints in a few words...prime beef - dry aged at least 21 or 28 days - hot tubbed for an hour to 100º IT - hit with kosher salt - sear at 650 to 750 for 45 seconds, turn 90º for 45, flip for 45, turn 90º for 45 seconds - plate and rest for a minute. Top with pats of real butter to add the glistening goodness!
    Just to clarify the lingo....Ron you're saying SV is the key?
  • RRP
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    RRP said:

yes, but I do the poor man's SV by bagging the steaks separately in waterproof bags and drop them in a small cooler which has very hot water from the tap - which most homes means about 120º-130º. By using the tight cooler then an hour will be sufficient without changing out the water. If more than 2 large steaks then you might want to check. BTW yes a Theramapen to check the water as well as the steaks for doneness is an added protective twist to perfecting your at home steaks!

One last thing - medium rare is the best for wonderful steaks - if you or your guests want well done steaks - then don't bother with any of my hints - just cook them to shoe leather consistency and serve with A-1 sauce! LOL
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Personally I'm a flipper and rest for 10-15 min ... This was flipped 30-40 times during the cook 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
     searchable and therefore living thread for years to come unless someone buffalos it with nasties!
     :o 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    SV and hot-tubbing are similar, but not the same

SV typically involves a longer hold at specific temps, for the purposes not only of cooking the meat, but doing so in a way that achieves a different (some say better) texture, among other considerations 

hot tubbing is method for taking the chill off the meat in a way that works better rhan and quicker than the old "leave it out until room temp" advice. It's been said that this method also develops some of the flavors achieved by aging (because enzymes are sped up by the heat), but that's unclear. These same flavors are one of the things SV also is said to achieve

HT's aim is a warmed steak, finished by searing only, which gives a perfect uniform cross section

SV does this too, but is more controlled, under vacuum, and aims to do other things than just warm up the meat
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ruth's Chris or The Capital Grille mostly pan sear and use an IR Salamander. I should know I worked on Capital Grille's ceramics on the line before it was replaced w/ a new one. Roughly 900+℉ IR heat. RC line cooking is specialized just for them (FACT). 
    I do steaks an average of twice a week. Anytime I'm working in restaurants I listen to experienced Chefs, Sous Chefs, line prep peeps....everybody!  They all have tips that can better your game. Then it's a matter of making it work for yourself and fine tuning the skill set. I use multiple methods and techniques depending on the cut I'm working with. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kwdickert
    Options
    good beef and t rex method worked for me everytime so far. Capital grille only had me beat with their coffee rub. Carne crosta should fix that. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    I'm a reverse sear guy.  Lately I've been using a CI pan (in lieu of the CI grates or the SS grates).  I've found that the crust has been better.

Truth be told...the biggest difference I have found is ponying up for the 'better' cut of meat.  If you get good marbling the steaks just taste like butter.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    our lump is as hot or hotter than those IR broilers.  it's as much or more about distance from the radiant source than anything though.

FWIW i have had waiters tells me the broiler was at 1200, 1600, 1800, etc.

and that it "sears in the juices".

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    RRP said:
    johnnyp said:
    RRP said:

yes, but I do the poor man's SV by bagging the steaks separately in waterproof bags and drop them in a small cooler which has very hot water from the tap - which most homes means about 120º-130º. By using the tight cooler then an hour will be sufficient without changing out the water. If more than 2 large steaks then you might want to check. BTW yes a Theramapen to check the water as well as the steaks for doneness is an added protective twist to perfecting your at home steaks!

One last thing - medium rare is the best for wonderful steaks - if you or your guests want well done steaks - then don't bother with any of my hints - just cook them to shoe leather consistency and serve with A-1 sauce! LOL

This is what I do too, recipe from rrp. Consistent, great results, with no resting needed.

Also like a ny strip direct on the coals.. That's fun cook and freaks out guests.  Put butter on it right off the grill to break up the char, rest with blue cheese on it, slice it and serve as an appetizer.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Does anyone have strong opinions on Peter Luger style?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Better beef is the great steak house secret. That and perfect Malliard effect usually created by using a salamader broiler that runs at 1800 degree +  (Ruth Chris for sure does this)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    Options
    Personally I think this thread deserves to get more wide spread input and life blood - so BUMP! B)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    our lump is as hot or hotter than those IR broilers.  it's as much or more about distance from the radiant source than anything though.

FWIW i have had waiters tells me the broiler was at 1200, 1600, 1800, etc.

and that it "sears in the juices".

Depends upon the manufacturer specs. But, yes they get extremely hot. No reason the results can't be duplicated or even surpassed on the egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My best steak to date was a strip that was seared in CI with a lil bacon grease them slow toasted till it hit 130 IT. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Actually my point was that waiters seem to make up IR element temp numbers, as with making up the 'seals in juices' foolishness. Salesmanship

i've always pimped the idea that your blazing lump can be as hot as the IR element they broil under. Distance is an issue though 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Actually my point was that waiters seem to make up IR element temp numbers, as with making up the 'seals in juices' foolishness. Salesmanship

I'm inclined to agree with the salesmanship nonsense when it comes to sealing in the juices. It's simply isn't possible to seal in the juices. If one wants juicy meat, the trick is simply not to over cook it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The waiters are fed the jargon.  "Training". This beats restaurant food for me.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183113/first-swing-at-caveman-ribeyes-damn#latest
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Agree servers and salespeople notoriously embellish on things they know nothing of. I personally prefer tech specs for true #s. Sear in juices :lol: Sure Sure that's why a CI pan, caveman or otherwise beautifully seared steak never ever leaks juices during the rest :wink: 
    https://youtu.be/0slTBGBEf0g
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Better beef is the great steak house secret. That and perfect Malliard effect usually created by using a salamader broiler that runs at 1800 degree +  (Ruth Chris for sure does this)
    I'm guessing the broiler is another way to insure a fairly predictable end result in a short time frame as well.  But I'd be surprised if it's genuinely the best way to maximize the quality of the end product.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Haven't seen any mention of seasoning yet. I have found that home cooks tend to not season (really salt) the meat enough. I liberally coat both sides of a nice cut with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Don't be afraid of salt!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Ruth's Chris also uses a sht ton of butter.  I find that unnecessary with a really good steak.
    NOLA