Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-733 Dud!

Options
I'll fully admit that I may have gotten a dud and maybe 99.9% of them are awesome, however this thing is awful.  This is only my 2nd time attempting to use it.  It took a good 20+ times of turning both units off and on in the proper order, attempting a re-sync (via the button) a zillion times before they finally got paired.

I changed the batteries that came with it, and that didn't help.  Now that they are paired, the receiver screen looks like it's going bad as it's only viewable from a certain angle.  It looked fine on first use, but not now.  Garbage!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hate mine too but it is fairly dependable. I know your batteries are "new" but the only time I've had screen problems is when the batteries were low. Any chance you have old new batteries?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It is a pita, however, if you simply read the directions and follow them, it works. I also turn my batteries backwards when done using it. I also do this with a CDN thermo I have, they both seem to drain the batteries otherwise. Don't know why. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just lack the patience to use mine but it works well. I just so seldomly use it that I forget how to operate it and have to fool with it a bit before I get it figured out. I'm
    like Cen-Tex, mine is dependable but a pain in the @SGH

Little Rock, AR

• egghead43
    Options
    I hate mine too but it is fairly dependable. I know your batteries are "new" but the only time I've had screen problems is when the batteries were low. Any chance you have old new batteries?

Wow, that actually was part of the problem.  I had 3/2018 marked batteries fresh out of a pack, but 2 of them tested bad.  With new batteries it is working better and the screen is back to normal.

The jury is still out however.  The original issue of not syncing was probably the result of the original batteries being drained.  But almost dead batteries within a week after only one cook?  Amazon had mostly good reviews, but I saw plenty with similar issues as mine upon looking further.

I most likely will have my Mom return this (was a gift).  Any other recommendations for this type of product?
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I would give it more of a chance. 

Little Rock, AR

• egghead43
    Options
    I would give it more of a chance. 
    I might do that, but if I have to put new batteries in every week just to get the thing to work, that's a deal breaker.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think it was a fluke. Ive only used mine maybe ten times but never changed the batteries. Get a new pack of batteries. I've had brand new packs of batteries that were just crap. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    Options
    mine is dependable but a pain in the @SGH
     :o  :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well I thought it was funny. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You have to turn it on and OFF in the correct order. I hate mine too, but it works. 
  • egghead43
    Options
    You have to turn it on and OFF in the correct order. I hate mine too, but it works. 

Yeah, believe me I've done that.  Maybe it was (1) crap batteries that came with it and (2) a fluke that the new batteries I had were half bad as well.  If the thing pairs well and doesn't eat batteries, I'll like it.  I liked it last time when it worked.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Make sure you turn everything off when you're done or you have bad batteries every time you use it.
    Options
    Mine has never been a problem.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My main complaint is the probes.  The food probe died on mine but the pit probe still works.  I am actually amazed how long the batteries last.  I always forget to turn it off and the batteries keep on truckin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The probes are thermistors.   They're cheap to make compared to thermocouples and more susceptible to failure (mostly by moisture intrusion).  If it had the other kind of probe it would cost twice as much.
    Those damn cables burn up. I bought some heat shield and use on mine. Seems to work. 

Little Rock, AR

• egghead43
    Options
    It seems to be ok right now.  I might just start taking the batteries out of it when I'm done.  If you guys recommended something else much more in a similar price range, I'd switch over.  I just want to measure temp, I don't really want one of the systems to regulate it (yet).
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    egghead43 said:
    It seems to be ok right now.  I might just start taking the batteries out of it when I'm done.  If you guys recommended something else much more in a similar price range, I'd switch over.  I just want to measure temp, I don't really want one of the systems to regulate it (yet)

This is the best unit Im aware of out there. Like I said earlier, just turn the batteries around and make sure to read the instructions and you'll be fine. Works great once you get it synced up. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Mine works great, been left in the rain and under a foot of snow. Looks like it's been through Vietnam but does the job.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2015
    Options
    egghead43 said:

Wow, that actually was part of the problem.  I had 3/2018 marked batteries fresh out of a pack, but 2 of them tested bad.  With new batteries it is working better and the screen is back to normal.

The jury is still out however.  The original issue of not syncing was probably the result of the original batteries being drained.  But almost dead batteries within a week after only one cook?  Amazon had mostly good reviews, but I saw plenty with similar issues as mine upon looking further.

I most likely will have my Mom return this (was a gift).  Any other recommendations for this type of product?
    Ha ha. Glad it worked. If there is a chance to return it, I would. Not because it doesn't work but because the interface sucks. They make you choose a meat type and done temp? Are you kidding me? It's like some horrible, schlocky Williams Sonoma Father's Day gift for the uninitiated. Just give me the damn temp read outs and I'll sit my drunk ass on the couch and take care of the rest. 

For those of you who like yours, Merry Christmas and good evening to you :D
  • egghead43
    Options
    7 hours into the cook and temps drop into the 160s on the grate and won't rise despite opening everything up full throttle. I take everything off in the rain and almost all the lump is gone. I loaded fresh lump before I started and temps were never over 250 so I have no idea why the lump was gone. I loaded more lump and put the meat back on. I'm having a horrible time stabilizing this thing. I make minor adjustments and it's like a ping pong game fluctuating 30 degrees up then down.... 
  • egghead43
    Options
    egghead43 said:

Ha ha. Glad it worked. If there is a chance to return it, I would. Not because it doesn't work but because the interface sucks. They make you choose a meat type and done temp? Are you kidding me? It's like some horrible, schlocky Williams Sonoma Father's Day gift for the uninitiated. Just give me the damn temp read outs and I'll sit my drunk ass on the couch and take care of the rest. 

Is an earlier model Maverick better?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I have the et 735 and was sold on it the first 2 cooks then it's been all down hill. My probs went bad and it was a royal pain to get new ones sent to me.  I kept being told they would yet nothing. So I contacted Firecraft and they took care of me (good people).  Same issue loses connection all the time.  Had great luck with old 732.  May end up going back to it or thermoworks bluethermduo
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• egghead43
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I have the et 735 and was sold on it the first 2 cooks then it's been all down hill. My probs went bad and it was a royal pain to get new ones sent to me.  I kept being told they would yet nothing. So I contacted Firecraft and they took care of me (good people).  Same issue loses connection all the time.  Had great luck with old 732.  May end up going back to it or thermoworks bluethermduo
    I did get a thermapen and thermoworks seems to make good stuff
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I fill the egg up to the plate setter for a long burn.  Open the bottom vent about 1/8th of an inch, the top maybe a quarter inch.  Let it stabilize.  Small changes....wait....repeat.
    egghead43 said:
    egghead43 said:

Is an earlier model Maverick better?
    Yes and no. I think ThermoWorks or Igrill make a few that are seems good an reliable. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    hmmmm, waiting to try the one Santa just brought me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I fill the egg up to the plate setter for a long burn.  Open the bottom vent about 1/8th of an inch, the top maybe a quarter inch.  Let it stabilize.  Small changes....wait....repeat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    listen to this man (except on advice about haircuts)

Little Rock, AR