Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

Options
2»

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I had a kick ash basket for my minimax but over time it rusted and was tossed. i wish they made a stainless steel model
    Apparently  you don't use your egg enough.....
    Yea not as much as id like to. i also live 200 yds from the beach so salt air will destroy about anything
    Wow!  1st world problems.  I would take rusting hardware all day long to live near the beach.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @bearsgonefishin Okay. Coastal proximity plays hell on steel...especially bare steel. Bummer. 
    SS would definitely be your best bet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have one each in my Large BGE and one in my KJ Jr.
    Love 'em!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac No. You only think you'd love living on or near the beach. Try replacing HVAC/R units almost every 6-10 yrs, property erosion, hurricanes, property taxes, the obligatory tourists, foundations falling due to county blocking efforts of a SeaWall, blah blah
    Okay Ya I'd do it too :smile: 
    Fortunately I live far enough away and yet close enough to enjoy several different beaches. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bearsgonefishin
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac No. You only think you'd love living on or near the beach. Try replacing HVAC/R units almost every 6-10 yrs, property erosion, hurricanes, property taxes, the obligatory tourists, foundations falling due to county blocking efforts of a SeaWall, blah blah
    Okay Ya I'd do it too :smile: 
    Fortunately I live far enough away and yet close enough to enjoy several different beaches. 

tfhanson said:
    I had a kick ash basket for my minimax but over time it rusted and was tossed. i wish they made a stainless steel model
    Apparently  you don't use your egg enough.....
    Yea not as much as id like to. i also live 200 yds from the beach so salt air will destroy about anything
    Wow!  1st world problems.  I would take rusting hardware all day long to live near the beach.

Funny you mention the HVAC unit. had to replace mine this month. merry Christmas and happy birthday to me :o:o  

LBGE

North East Florida

Go Jags

What I would like for every football team to do that we play is to sit there and say, ‘I hate playing against these guys' -Nick Saban

• Chillin@5
    Options
    I have me for my large and have done about 20 cooks of various temps with it and grate out. I think the airflow is a bit too much with the grate out, but more so, I see small embers on the bottom of the ceramic that fall through the basket. That direct high heat in the ceramic makes me nervous, so I just put the grate back in today and I'm using them in tandem. 
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    All you KAB users - I'm interested.  Do you leave it in the Egg all the time or only hot n fast or low n slow?    
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have not used the grate since I got the KAB, in either the MM or the XL. I have done hot for Pizza, turbos, and L&S. No downside thus far, easier to control temps, makes it an awesome tool.
    i have had the fire pit grate explode on me once. Don't want that experience ever again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @4Runner yes you leave it in for all cooks. I think you will like it if you get one.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @4Runner ... Installed the Smokeware cap and the KAB when my first egg was a couple months old.  The grate, ugly daisy, and the ceramic cap were placed in storage.

Installed the Smokeware cap and the KAB before firing the second egg up for the first time.  The grate, ugly daisy, and the ceramic cap are in storage ... still in brand new condition.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    I noticed the air increase with the basket and fire grate in place. Without the grate I feel I would have to rethink vent settings. Just my personal opinion 
    @WeberWho? ... Isn't this where someone jumps in and says "You're over thinking the whole thing."
    Very well could be. I'd run without the fire grate but I feel that the air flow is more than adequate with it in place on my large. I still need to fire up my small and see how the KAB works with the grate. I can maybe see the small going solo
    I took out my Hi Q grate and have been 100% Kick Ash Basket with my small for almost two months and 100% happy and no going back to the High Q or factory grate. Using the small 4-5 times a week. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Http://m.ebay.com/itm/Big-green-egg-charcoal-basket-for-small-egg-kickash-style-/161904997190?nav=SEARCHtainless baskets (USA made) for $75 for s large...great product. 

Siloam Springs Arkansas

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Ordered.   Thanks. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat