Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a good deal on a small BGE?

Options
ATLBravesFan1992
ATLBravesFan1992 Posts: 7
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Saw a small bge with a table on Craigslist for $300. The large is out of my price range and I am only cooking for me and my wife 95% of the time. I have reached out to the lady and she said it has been used about 5 times total. I know there is no warranty with a used egg, but is this worth jumping on? Have been wanting an egg for a while now and this is the best price I have seen. Opinions from experienced eggers appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I paid 300 bucks for a used small and nest a few years ago. Its been worth every penny to me. 

Little Rock, AR

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I picked up my large on CL for $300.00 with that much in accessories, got a Brand New Mini on CL for $200.00 with many extras-- I'd offer $200.00 for the Small IF in good shape
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,433
    Options
    The prevailing rule of thumb is that the warranty is worth about 50% of the BGE cost.  New SBGE is around $550 in this area and you may be located close to the mother ship so the cost may be lower.  That said, you are in the ball-park given the inclusion of the table.  I would split the above suggestions and offer $250 depending on any extras and condition of BGE and table.  Not my $$ so easy to help you spend it.  Good luck wherever you land and if this doesn't work out-look around for eggfests where you can get a good deal and warranty.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I ended up finding a small last Christmas for $300 on clearance. Total luck. I paid $440 for my other small 4 years ago.

I'd say that's a descent price for used. Is it a table or nest that comes with it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    I'd offer $200 and expect to pay $250.  Any higher than that you need to walk away.
  • ATLBravesFan1992
    Options
    I really appreciate the advice. I'll probably offer around $200-$250 and go from there. It is a wooden table that comes with it and she has a rib rack and plate setter with it as well.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The prevailing rule of thumb is that the warranty is worth about 50% of the BGE cost.  New SBGE is around $550 in this area and you may be located close to the mother ship so the cost may be lower.  That said, you are in the ball-park given the inclusion of the table.  I would split the above suggestions and offer $250 depending on any extras and condition of BGE and table.  Not my $$ so easy to help you spend it.  Good luck wherever you land and if this doesn't work out-look around for eggfests where you can get a good deal and warranty.  FWIW-
    I think this is solid advice. The warranty is worth 50% of the new BGE price to me also. I have a small and it is a great little grill for 1 to 2 people. I have also smoked pork butt for 11 to 12 hours on one load of lump. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If it looks real clean and you like the table I would jump on it even at $300.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I love my small, many of my meals for 2 adults and 2 kids fit on it just fine.  I like the price point of 300.00 with the table and accessories.  While I have replaced the base, fire ring, and firebox on the large through warranty, no issues with the small after 5 years...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If it really has only been used five times I wouldnt walk away at 300 bucks. Offer lower and come up if you have to do so. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'd be in the 200-250 range.  Buying a used egg is just like only having liability ins on your vehicle. If something happens just how many $$$$ are you willing to eat to get it back to fully operational?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    $300 is fair since it includes the table. The lower the price the better the deal. If the price is right, then paying to replace the firebox down the road is still cheaper than buying new with a warranty. Buying a used Egg is not just about the Egg. It's about the accessories that come with it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    With the table I think it is a pretty good deal.  A small egg with a nest will run you close to $600 these days so it is less than half.  I would express your concerns about the warranty and maybe you can get the price lower.  

Another way to look at it is there are definitely people who will pay that price.  She is not going to have a problem selling it for $300 so if I were her I wouldn't come down much if any.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Jump on it.  I dig your handle and avatar...
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • ATLBravesFan1992
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! Bought the egg yesterday. She wouldn't budge off $300 but I still feel like I got a good deal. Looking forward to firing it up this week!!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on the buy.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  One accessory that I have for my SBGE is a high-que grate for improved air-flow.  (linked here:  http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Small-Mini-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--56-dia_p_21.html )  If you find difficulty in getting up to temperature-check it out.  A great cooker.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice!  I bought a used Medium for $150 back in the summer, for reference.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats on the buy.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  One accessory that I have for my SBGE is a high-que grate for improved air-flow.  (linked here:  http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Small-Mini-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--56-dia_p_21.html )  If you find difficulty in getting up to temperature-check it out.  A great cooker.
    or a kick ash basket, both are great products.

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=14

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats.  I think you got a good deal.  Post some pics of your new toy when you get a chance. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! Bought the egg yesterday. She wouldn't budge off $300 but I still feel like I got a good deal. Looking forward to firing it up this week!!
    If you feel like you got a good deal then you got a good deal.  Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!!!
    Don't forget we are all simple minds who enjoy lots of pictures.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lousubcap said:
    or a kick ash basket, both are great products.

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/product-detail.php?product_id=14

I bought the high-que before the KAB for small was available. Then I bought the KAB too. Having used both, I would buy the KAB over the high-que no question about it. No more stirring lump and having the grate slide and dump my charcoal in the ash collection area. Worth every penny! 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • egghead43
    Options

When you say table, do you mean just the side tables or a table with a cut-out for the Egg?  Post some pics!
  • ATLBravesFan1992
    Options
    Here is the only picture I took after getting it home. Time to buy some eggcessories now!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Looks good-can't tell from the picture but you want to create an air gap between your BGE and the table regardless of the paver.  Too many fire disasters from table failures directly under BGE's.  FWIW-
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Looks CLEAN...nice buy...

My favorite add on for my 2 Small BGEs is the Woo Ring from Ceramic Grill Store. Use them on almost every cook.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/small-woo-ring/

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • egghead43
    Options
    Here is the only picture I took after getting it home. Time to buy some eggcessories now!

That's definitely a deal if you ask me.  There's someone on another forum I frequent asking $300 for a much older small Egg (10 years or so) in a rolling nest only.  
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    In Houston I know you could get $300 for just a good used Egg with no stand, no problem.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I wouldn't pay  more than a hundred bucks. I have replaced parts on both of my eggs twice in less than 3 years. The sum total is more than the cost of a new egg. The Warranty is why you buy an EGG, IMO.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • egghead43
    Options
    I wouldn't pay  more than a hundred bucks. I have replaced parts on both of my eggs twice in less than 3 years. The sum total is more than the cost of a new egg. The Warranty is why you buy an EGG, IMO.
    Hey, which parts have you had to replace on your Egg?  Part of the reason I bought mine was I was sick of replacing propane grills every few years.  Other than the gasket, I thought these things would last forever?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    egghead43 said:
    Hey, which parts have you had to replace on your Egg?  Part of the reason I bought mine was I was sick of replacing propane grills every few years.  Other than the gasket, I thought these things would last forever?
    Cracks in firebox and fire ring.  IF you don't do a lot of high heat cooks, it's unlikely to break. I bake a lot of bread and pizza in mine and the temp sometimes runs away.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum