Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Doing a 14 lb prime rib on the egg next weekend. Looking for temp and time per pound. Any direction or help would be great

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    How do you like you meat, rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    a wise forum fisherman advocates cutting it in half.  it doesn't make it cook any faster, but it will supply four end-cutss, and there will be a lot of people that will want ends...

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I cook mine at 325f to 350f indirect and like @SGH said time depends on how you like your meat cooked.
  • Sodakotaegg
    Options
    thank you for the replies. SGH and Tinyfish. most prepare their cuts medium to med/rare.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    well alrighty then.

hahaha
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    chopped liver?
    @nolaegghead i thought it was weird he skipped over me, but that's ok.

The dude asks one question a year, and it's always about prime rib, and always in december.

i have a year to study up and be ready when he needs to cook prime rib again.

I'm gonna be the hero NEXT year, just you wait and see

• Sodakotaegg
    Options
    sorry to offend. I don't cook prime rib often(Decembers) I would rather ask for help versus ruining the meal.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    no offense.  just goofing.

that's pretty much all we do here.

• Vital
    Vital Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    An old trick of the trade for people that may want it well done or medium well is to pour some of the au jus on both sides and it will be the color they like. Even cutting it in half you're still limited on the amount of med well ends you'll have so the au jus trick works most of the time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    thank you for the replies. SGH and Tinyfish. most prepare their cuts medium to med/rare.
    I tried to cook mine between 325 to 350 indirect, but I was up against dinner time and had to raise it.  See below.  I cooked tell the middle internal temp is around 120 to 125, the highest I would go is 130. That's if you cut it in half.  The middle should be rare and the outer parts  close to medium.

Here is a 2 bone about 6 pound one I cooked not to long ago went.  I diid finish it around 420 to get it ready to eat.  I would say if you cooked it indirect at 350 all the way and each one weighed around 7 pounds it's going to be between 3.5 to 4 hours.  That's a rough estimate.  If you slice it and people want it done a little more just sear it on the egg.  Good luck, it's one of my favorites. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188595/standing-pime-rib-roast-awesome#latest

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I worked in a restaurant where prime rib (PR) was on the menu for about 5 years starting my Jr year in HS.  What we did was put the PR in the oven at 200 around 11AM.  More would go in later.  Staggered.  Salt and pepper.

People that wanted them medium and above we had a baking pan with au jus on the range and we'd throw it in there and flip it a few times cooking to temp.

You can also throw it on the grill or in a skillet.  Blackened PR was a thing here (in NOLA) for a while when blackened redfish was trending (RIP Paul Prudhomme).

If it's someone that wants it very well done...put it in the microwave.  IMHO you're ruining it cooking over MR anyway.  They'll rave about their shoe leather.

Best Prime Rib I ever had was cooked in a salt crust on a BBQ grill !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    If it's someone that wants it very well done...put it in the microwave.  IMHO you're ruining it cooking over MR anyway.  They'll rave about their shoe leather
    pay attention to what nola says, only cook it to med/rare, anyone complains nuke theirs =) you are more likely to hit medium anyways while over thinking this cook if you only do it once a year. and buy a choice grade, they cook better in the egg than a prime full of soft fat cut, theres nothing good about prime grade white drippy fat =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • matt121966
    Options
    a wise forum fisherman advocates cutting it in half.  it doesn't make it cook any faster, but it will supply four end-cutss, and there will be a lot of people that will want ends...

Not in my house !!!!! I thinly slice off the ends and save for soup !!!!
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Cut it in half and do one half to medium rare, the other to medium.

My rub is salt, pepper, and garlic. Recently I started using Better Than Bullion for salt and as a browning agent, with excellent results.

There are as many different ways to cook it as there are people answering questions. Myself, I do it @ 225 to an internal of 130 for medium rare, 140 for medium. I used to broil it for additional browning, but many times it is plenty brown already, and I skip that. Use common sense: if it looks like it isn't brown wnough, use the broiler, if it looks nice and dark, move ahead with confidence.