Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrosting frozen meat with aquarium pump

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,582
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Made a last minute decision last night to make baby backs for lunch today.  Put frozen cryo pack in cooler with ice water and threw in an old aquarium pump, started at 36F, covered with a sheet pan and left it overnight.

About eight hours later the water temp was 39F... no worry with 'is it safe?' dilemma  ;)

Passed the bend test even in the tight cryo...

To make it interesting, the XL dome was frozen shut this morning.  Fortunately I had the p/s inside legs down so it was at the gasket level.  I lit some lumps in a can and lowered each piece carefully with tongs to build a pile on the p/s; blasted the pile will a hairdryer and voila!  Time to insert my aluminum sheet between the gaskets after each cook, from now till spring.

canuckland

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Is there a device you don't have Gary?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Interesting idea ... thanks for posting.

My newer egg was frozen shut last week.  First time for everything.  Luckily, I believe in extra lump for all cooks, so had some left over in the KAB from the last cook.  Used a Mapp gas torch to thaw both the cap and bottom vent.  Then stuck the torch into the bottom of the egg through the bottom vent to light the lump.  Once the lump was going - smoke and heat coming out the top vent and a nice red glow on the bottom of the egg - I used my heat gun to increase airflow.  Ran it up to 350 degrees and in about 45 minutes the seal was free.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,516
    Options
    Stolen!  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I installed my Rutland (on the base only) shortly after buying my egg (because the OEM gasket failed in a few weeks). This is my egg's seventh New England winter and I have yet to have the dome freeze. Never covered or rolled in out of the weather. I'm convinced it's the Rutland material and/or the fact that I only have one gasket. I suspect those who use no gasket have no freeze up problems either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    What am I missing here? But why do you need the pump in there? :s

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Is there a device you don't have Gary?
    haha, my biggest vice is having too many devices, swmbo can live with that  =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Jeepster47  I just had a little frost, ceramic cap and lower vent were fine, it took less than 10 minutes for my dome to open.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Carolina Q my eggs are not covered and stay out all the time as well.  Have to agree Rutland resists freezing shut, I have nomex top and bottom. 
    canuckland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,823
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I agree with Bud. What was the purpose of the pump?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Justification of extra gadgets - duh.....
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @bud812  I know a quick defrosting trick is to drip water constantly over frozen meat in a sink, the idea is to extract the 'cold' (water conducts heat better than air) and also prevent bacteria growth; four hours max is also recommended.

So I thought I'd use moving water to mimic running tap without wasting water. I added ice since I knew it was going to be an all night affair.  

Forum thermodynamics physicists please chime in ... perhaps moving water is more efficient than still water in dispersing the heat or cold away from the food?  
    canuckland
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Got it, thanks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    actually it's leftover from my aquarium days ... btw, it's great for my DIY red-neck sous vide setup too. you're right about extra gadgets though  =)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146283/diy-sous-vide

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    btw, turbo ribs came out decent if I may say so ;)
    XL at 330F, p/s legs up, half sheet drip pan, stock grid on p/s legs, 2 racks laid flat, bigger rack at back, smaller rack in front, thicker side of each rack facing away from centre, 1:15 meat side up, 1:15 meat side down, sauced both sides with APL honey bbq sauce, 20 minutes to firm up. 

canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    actually it's leftover from my aquarium days ... btw, it's great for my DIY red-neck sous vide setup too. you're right about extra gadgets though  =)
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146283/diy-sous-vide

Maybe you should ask Mary for a microwave with a defrost function. Just thinking out loud here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options

...  a microwave with a defrost function. Just thinking out loud here

Got one but can't fit a frozen turkey or rib racks  :s
    canuckland
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    bud812 said:
    I agree with Bud. What was the purpose of the pump?
    Most heat transfer is from the surface of the water. By circulating the water, you are exposing more water to the surface. Without the pump, it would still thaw, but at a slower rate because the colder water will want to settle to the bottom of the cooler and the transfer of heat will be very slow.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    Cool idea for a roast, but ribs are thin, I just toss them frozen into a sink of warm to hot water while I light the egg.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Toxarch you did a much better job explaining, thanks!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Legume Agree with you, but I wasn't in as much rush since I knew the night before. 
    canuckland