Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone's wife taking a little bit to warm up to smokey taste?

Options
Hey guys and girls. As title suggest the wife is not loving it yet. I have only used RO lump and no wood but she is not enamored. I make sure I have clean smoke so that is not the issue. We always baked in oven and used a gasser. She has liked the steaks and scallops but pork loin was not an hit. Anyone experienced this? Thanks

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Not necessarily.. I guess some people just don't like BBQ the same as others lol.. I get the occasional.. "You're BBQ'ing AGAINNN?" Question from my girl.. But she still eats it and enjoys it 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No!  Have you done pork butt, brisket, spatched chicken, wings?  That would suck man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited November 2015
    Options
    RO lump is smoky. Not a bad thing if that's what you are after but there are some more smoke neutral lumps out there. Rockwood is my favorite but there are others. Wicked good is another but they source wood from some very sensitive deforestation areas down in s. America so I won't use them. Rockwood is all sourced in Missourri. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I really don't want this to be another lump thread, but if you really need to try Rockwood. If nothing else but for porkloin, chicken and turkey. The difference really is noticeable. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options

The wife did complain at first, as she was used to meals from the Traeger for past 10 years.  Not much smoke from the pellets, regardless of flavor used.

Told her she could do the grilling & outdoor cooking from now on.

Suddenly she loves the food off the egg. I do use a more neutral lump nowadays (no more RO), but still use apple wood for smoke flavor.  I guess all the comments from the neighbors on the smell and the flavor of the food must have convinced her it was "good stuff" LOL.

You just got to "educate" her in the fine culinary arts of foods created on a ceramic grill.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I almost always use Royal Oak because that is what I can get without paying more $$$$$ than I care to for lump. Royal Oak usually has some pieces that are not completely carbonized and they will give your food a very smoky taste that is not very good. I'm very careful when I dump it from the bag into my eggs and look for them, they are not black in color and more of a brown color and when lighting with my map torch they will smoke like crazy and have an orange flame. I take them out before lighting and when I see the smoke or flames. Yes it is a pain in the A&$ but for the money it works for me. Like others have said other brands are much better. I also never put food on the egg until 30 minutes or more have passed from the time I light the lump. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You may be putting the food on before the smoke is 'good'

lean in and smell the smoke coming out of the top. If it smells good, it'll taste good

Or, if you are like a lot of the Nancys around here, put your hand over the chimney and then smell your hand. :)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Only thing my wif has not particully like was peach cobbler. Otherwise all good here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    There are lumps that are more flavor neutral.  Try one of those
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    I have found that women (in general) have more sensitive taste buds than men and a guy that has been grilling/smoking (and some one us drink a few beers while do so) all day can easily under-estimate the smokiness of the food when it's done. I cook for three generations of women in my house and adjust the smokiness and spiciness to please them all. Like mentioned before, make sure your smoke is right before putting the meat one.

One option is to wrap some of the food if it's a long cook.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    As everyone else said - get a different lump - Royal Oak (and BGE brand) are two of the smokiest you will find.  Make sure you burn it until it is clean - I switched to a weed burner to light and I think that helped too.  I always load up heavy so the next couple fires are on lump that has had extra time to off gas the VOCs. 

You said pork tenderloin, but was it marinated/sauced/dripping on the coals?  I find fattier cooks (and even drippings can make nasty smoke so I cook indirect or raised direct a fair share.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you are getting "too smokey" of a flavor and not adding either smoking wood or burning off chicken fat on your lump, something is wrong. I've said it a million times, people bake wonderful breads and such in their eggs with no smokeiness. Some brands are without question easier to obtain "clean" burning or neutral flavored. I wonder though if you have adequate air flow or maybe you get the fire hot and then choke it down to obtain your temp. These practices will result it bad smoke flavor. Keep at it. Great, and I mean great, food is achievable for you. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    overwhelmingly when new users on here say their wives don't like the smoky taste, when you ask what lump they are using they are still using their bag of BGE lump (royal oak) that came with their new egg. I got a bag 2 years ago when I got my 2nd large and couldn't believe the difference in smokiness between rockwood and BGE lump. Again- not hating on RO or BGE lump but they are definitely on the smoky side of lumps that I've used. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've had several friends over for dinner who have eggs of their own and both spouses have said they prefer my cooking because everything my buddies cook "tastes the same".  I don't do anything different except use Rockwood.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    you really want to concentrate on how the smoke smells verse how it looks. also hotter fires produce less smoke taste, you can cook a pork loin over 400 degrees easily in an egg cooked on a raised grid directly over the coals. sometimes setups are the problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Have you ever done a clean burn out? Perhaps her sensitive tastes are being triggered by a build up of creosote inside your egg.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I really don't want this to be another lump thread, but if you really need to try Rockwood. If nothing else but for porkloin, chicken and turkey. The difference really is noticeable. 
    Hadn't seen/heard of Rockwood, so I looked it up. Nearest Dealer is in Golden Co (about 1000 miles away). Looked up online sales and the first one says "Not available to be shipped to California"

Huh.........

Wonder what my great State is up to now?
    South SLO County
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    @SoCalWJS- it's your Prop 65 requirements that are keeping Rockwood out.  @stlcharcoal (the man behind Rockwood) is frequently on this forum so he can provide more details but you have done it to yourselves. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Hadn't seen/heard of Rockwood, so I looked it up. Nearest Dealer is in Golden Co (about 1000 miles away). Looked up online sales and the first one says "Not available to be shipped to California"

Huh.........

Wonder what my great State is up to now?

It's your great state's Prop 65.  We could comply with it, but with as busy as we are, we have more business that we can handle in 49 other states that don't have special rules.  Even if we could take it on, I doubt we would sell enough to offset the cost of keeping an environmental attorney on retainer to monitor Prop65 and our compliance.  Sorry, per our counsel, the risk vs. the reward is just not worth it right now.  If anything ever changes--whether it be Prop65, tort reform, or our supply--then we'll definitely take another objective look.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If my wife objected to smoke flavor I think I'd take that as a sign that she wanted out.

I'm not married though, so definitely don't listen to me.

Phoenix 
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    I know this will sound very strange but I generally use RO for most cooks and the wife and daughter complained about smokey chicken. Someone suggested adding 1 apple wood chunk and they no longer complain. By the way, I recently switched to Wicked Good and despite it being hard to light, very happy with it. Still use the 1 chunk method.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    When it is too smokey for SWMBO, I usually suggest she follow up with something salty/creamy . . . then I duck.  

Happy Friday.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Even using RO, you should be able to cook with minimal smoke taste. Many people bake desserts or pizza using  RO without smoky taste. I prefer Rockwood, but there's other clean lump available. Reevaluate your fire to get it burning cleaner. When I'm doing foods/desserts that easily take on smoke, I take the daisy wheel completely off and control the fire from the bottom vent.

Look at the lump reviews from http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm to see if there's something better that's close to you. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming