Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TX locals

Options
I need to visit a customer in Houston area and I have the late afternoon/night to myself.  From what I see it looks like I have a couple of choices for some TX BBQ  Killens, Corkscrew and Gatlins if you live in the are what would you go to? 

Also if anyone has any recommendations on a good lunch place in El Paso would be great too it doesn't need to be BBQ. 

Thanks again 
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• EggObsessed
    Options
    I live in Austin, and have always heard that Killen's is the best place to eat BBQ in Houston.  They are always ranked really high on "best of" lists.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @EggObsessed thanks 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    What part of Houston will you be spending the night? Weekday, Weekend?

Houston is really spread out and Killens is still a bit of a drive especially during peak travel time. Traffic is a bummer.

We have not been to Killens BBQ but hear it's excellent. Their high end steak joint is very nice as well.

"Tuesday thru Sunday 11 A.M. til we run out of Q"

til we run out is also a factor...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Photo Egg Hotel Derek 2525 West Loop S, Houston, TX 77027 i'm not sure where exactly this is.  This is a weekday trip 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Hotel Derek is very cool...
    It's on the West side of Houston in the "Galleria".
    610 Loop at Westheimer. Very upscale part of town, but lots of traffic.

Number 2 on this list is very close to The Derek.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/texas/houston/galleria/restaurants/luling-city-market/

http://www.hotelderek.com

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You have the 3 best listed.  Some people like Roegels, but I find the meat to be underseasoned.  

While Killen's is good, I think the chef in him kinda makes some of the food a let down.  The dude is an awesome chef, and he always has something else going on at his spot.  Fried chicken, pork chops, burgers, chicken fried steak, specialty sides/apps/desserts, catfish etc.  I think the extra stuff may be lowering the quality of some of his menu.  I thought his brisket and pork ribs left a lot to be desired, especially the ribs which I thought were embarrassing.  His beef rib is definitely one of the best you'll eat in the area.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Honestly, I would skip the BBQ and go here.

http://www.underbellyhouston.com

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have no idea what to say about this- quick Google Search by your hotel brings up
    Lulings City Market BBQ
    4726 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77027

Now to me the "City Market" in Luling is about as good as it gets.  Schmidts opened up in Austin as an offshoot of Smittys and Kruez from Lockhart so they could be related.

I always thought Goodes was decent and frankly Pappas is decent and its not too far.

Downside of where you are- traffic will be as ugly as any place you have ever been, it will be ugly all but a few hours in the middle of the night.  So plan on staying by hotel or be ready to fight some traffic for hours.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • McStew
    Options
    Thanks @xfire_ATX  and @Photo Egg I will look these places up.  
    Traffic is not an issue I sit in it daily 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Corkscrew is going to be a hike from where you're at. It's up near The Woodlands, not a fun drive in rush hour.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Honestly, I would skip the BBQ and go here.

http://www.underbellyhouston.com

Underbelly is good!  44 Farms beef too, which you can't go wrong with either.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    "Traffic is not an issue I sit in it daily "

I hear you, but I would rather spend my limited time enjoying unique local food than sitting in traffic for 
    several hours just to get BBQ that may or may not be just slightly better than you can make yourself.

You will also be fairly close to the Museum Dist.

Travel safe...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    edited November 2015
    Options
    thanks @Photo Egg I think I'm going to go with Underbelly food looks great 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Underbelly is a good choice. 
    If a want a good unhealthy burger for lunch, I like to hit Lankford's.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I worked in Houston every other week, commuting from NOLA, for about a year.   Clear Lake.  I raced in the the 24 hours of lemons years later south of Houston.  My recommendation - Mexican food.   They do it right there if you find an authentic restaurant.  I'm sure there's some excellent Q, but like many people say on the forum, you can do as well if not better.  When in Rome....
    Options
    nolaegghead said: My recommendation - Mexican food.   

He's actually got a great point. Nothing like some good Tex Mex. Talk to someone and see what's good around where you're at. I'm never in the Galleria so I wouldn't know where to tell you to go. Papasitos is pretty much a standard everywhere in town, and while it's good, you can do better. Find a dive with good fajitas (or my preference, Tacos Al Carbon) and margaritas. You can't really go wrong with that.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lewisj82 said:
    nolaegghead said: My recommendation - Mexican food.   

He's actually got a great point. Nothing like some good Tex Mex. Talk to someone and see what's good around where you're at. I'm never in the Galleria so I wouldn't know where to tell you to go. Papasitos is pretty much a standard everywhere in town, and while it's good, you can do better. Find a dive with good fajitas (or my preference, Tacos Al Carbon) and margaritas. You can't really go wrong with that.
    There are many good Tex-Mex places but I might send you to "Picos" for lunch and  "The Perfect" Rita (yes, that's what it's called). They are more true Mex-Mex with some excellent seafood dishes as well. Or Sunday morning Crab Cake Benedict is outstanding.

Their "yelp" reviews don't really do it justice.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/picos-restaurant-houston-2

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    Options
    Thanks everyone Houston is going to become a monthly stop for me, so if I don't get to it this trip I will down the road.  Any and all suggestions are always welcome 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    Well as always plans changed on the fly and for dinner I was invited to RDG Bar Annie. I had one of the most amazing Foie Gras I have ever had very simple severed with a very nice olive oil and dates.  I'm pushing to make it to underbelly for lunch tomorrow.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would highly recommend trying to meet up with cazzy, 20stone, caliking, or even photo egg (he's  an hour south but well worth it) rather than chasing bbq. It's the peeps that make it all worth while, not the food :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • McStew
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker well 100% positive feedback from my customer so it sounds like I will be here more often so I will hit everyone up.... Food is always better with like minded people 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    Sorry Texas this is un-explainable 

WTH.jpg 48.5K
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    If that little spotted suite bothers you then you in BIG trouble visiting Texas...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    Options
    @Photo Egg no I just spent 20 min LMFAO 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2015
    Options
    McStew said:
    @Photo Egg no I just spent 20 min LMFAO 
    Similar to my visit in Los Angeles and Holly-Weird back in 1985.   Ha...Ha

I'm not a native Texan so I laugh at them as well...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That cow robe would find its way into my expense report. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    McStew said:
    Sorry Texas this is un-explainable 

If you won't steal that, I will!

Must have missed this the first time around. Houston has great Asian food - Chinatown is HUGE. There are some great places I could steer you to if you're interested.

And holler at me whenever you're in town. Maybe we can meet up.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • McStew
    Options
    I asked the font desk how much my credit card would get hit if it turned up missing she laughed and said 200 bucks 

@calking I will be in the area again soon and for a longer stay but next time I'm in town I will put out a call so we can meet up 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    For $200...it better look like this...lol

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • McStew
    Options
    @Photo Egg how busy is Underbelly on a Saturday Night.  I have an unexpected trip to Houston and i'm thinking of dropping in for dinner 

Hermosa Beach CA