Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Loin And Potatoes question

Options
I've got a boudin stuffed pork loin wrapped in bacon from Bucees (for those of you lucky enough to know about Bucess, these things are great) that I'm cooking Saturday evening. I want to do some potatoes with them and catch some of the drippings in it, but not sure how to time it. 

What temp and how long would you cook the loin and then at what point would you add the taters below it?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I've heard that it is critical to have air between the pain that you are putting potatoes in.

i tried doing them once with a. Pork loin, and they burned, because i did not have an air gap.

but you should be able to cook them for comparable time assuming you have an air gal
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Like this kind of Bucees?

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    @feef706 YES! 
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Wish we had them in Florida, stopped at one on the way home from Dallas, never seen a "gas station" like Bucees...
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Probably going to get yelled at for saying this... I live in Texas and I do not like Bucees.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Potatoes are forgiving, because if they over cook they just get extra brown and crunchy, with some burnt edges. 

Not sure how you like them, just cooked through, or drier and crispier, but I would think you could put them at the same time

here's the thing though. I'm not sure if you mean a loin or tenderloin. 

If tenderloin, you would need to start the potatoes earlier than the meat i would imagine. If a loin, at or about the same time 

i I mention it only because the two terms (loin/tenderloin) seem to be interchangeable here sometimes, when they are very different things 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tamu2009
    Options
    Potatoes are forgiving, because if they over cook they just get extra brown and crunchy, with some burnt edges. 

Not sure how you like them, just cooked through, or drier and crispier, but I would think you could put them at the same time

here's the thing though. I'm not sure if you mean a loin or tenderloin. 

If tenderloin, you would need to start the potatoes earlier than the meat i would imagine. If a loin, at or about the same time 

i I mention it only because the two terms (loin/tenderloin) seem to be interchangeable here sometimes, when they are very different things 
    True. It's a tenderloin. I was thinking around 300* for 30ish minutes? Am I close? 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Might have missed it but what kind of potatoes? Whole baked, small red, mashed?  This determines cook time and how much earlier you need to put in potatoes than pork
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    I've got a boudin stuffed pork loin wrapped in bacon 

What temp and how long would you cook the loin and then at what point would you add the taters below it?
    Above you said the the tenderloin is stuffed. With that said, I normally pull unstuffed tenderloin between 135-140 degrees. However if it's stuffed, the stuffing unfortunately determines the final pull temp as it must be cooked until done. Boudin is a very broad term depending on region. There are specially shops that have "house" recipes, especially down here in the south. As such, depending on what all is in the boudin will ultimately determine when it's done. With all that said, chances are that the boudin used in the stuffing is precooked and as such it will be perfectly fine to pull the stuffed tenderloin at 140 degrees. As far as the potatoes, I find that they take much longer to cook than tenderloin unless you have sliced them paper thin. As such I would start them at the same time. Again, I have no way of knowing what is in your boudin, or even if it's precooked. But you need to cook until the stuffing is done. Especially when the stuffing is pork or poultry based. I face this same dilemma when making my stuffed chickens. I have to slightly over cook the chicken to get the mountain of stuffing done. If you know the boudin is precooked, I would pull at 140 internal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Taters always take longer to cook than I think.  I would cube them up into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes in a pan and give them a head start, then add the loin over them.  

I would cook at 400 and give the taters an hour.  I would guesstimate 45 minutes for the stuffed tenderloin so I would give the taters a 15 minute head start. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    not saying its not impossible but meat and potatoes really shine cooked this way when cooked over 400 degrees, your tenderloin is going to cook so fast that the potatoes wont get that carmelly look and crisp bottom texture
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tamu2009
    Options
    I would assume it's precooked pork boudin.

I've got ted potatoes i was planning on either halfing or quartering. 

So based on the feedback, I'm looking at about an hour for the taters and 45 minutes for pork.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You need to start the potatoes sooner. 

And frankly i think i would go raised direct about 400 for the tenderloin and give the bacon a fighting chance

might air dry it for six to eight hours in the fridge unwrapped, to lose some water from the bacon. If you do that you could roast it indirect at any temp until done. 250-300, maybe 325. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Another option with the potatoes is give them a head start in the microwave.  Cut as you want for the cook and give them 4-5 minutes at around 50% power.  Should allow them to finish along with the tenderloin.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.