Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snake River Farms Brisket sale

Options
2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    2 Golds + Trip Tip on the way! CAN'T WAIT!
    They were out of Kobe tri-tips, so I had to get regular.  So instead I got two!!
    NOLA
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Mine was 14.3lbs. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    Options
    Also got (2) Double R bacon wrapped (choice or higher) filets. One was 6.88 ounces, other 7.84 ounces (they advertise 7 ounces so  they did provide minimum weight).  Visually they are small. Works out to a sale price of $30/lb ($56 no sale price) for the choice filet's and $11.82/lb for the brisket. I really like SRF, but got to say the filet's aren't up to expectations but I'm sure they will taste great. Can't wait to try the brisket. Hey, that's why I only bought (2) filet's- wanted to try it.. but in the future I'll stick with Costco filets.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    They are making a killing selling bacon for $30-$56/lb. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Mine is arriving today! This will be SPECTACULAR.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Mosca- If the SRF brisket you are posting about cooking on Sat is arriving today, it will arrive frozen so you will need to accelerate the defrost process using many baths of cold water.  FWIW-
    Edit: @stompbox - SRF briskets need to be trimmed just like any other packer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    My pair came today. Both on the lighter end of the scale but that is to be expected since they were on sale. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I got a bit lucky. Mine tipped the scales at 15.80 #
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I do. There is some hard fat on them and then the rest of the trimming is just for show. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2015
    Options
    FYI  for those that missed out - @SRFShaneindicated that another brisket sale is coming next week so make sure you are signed up for their emails.  =)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    FYI  for those that missed out - @SRFShaneindicated that another brisket sale is coming next week so make sure you are signed up for their emails.  =)
    Oooh. Heck. I just spent several hundred there: 2 5lb Kobe boneless rib roasts, 4 Kurobuta St Louis racks, and 3lbs Kurobuta bacon. But I think I might have a brisket in me yet.

That brisket was one of the finest pieces of meat I've ever eaten. I have to give a SHOUT OUT to those people here who helped me through it!
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    I can neither confirm nor deny this rumor....

Actually, yes, I can confirm it  =)  Here's the deal:  

Wanted to give you a heads-up that tomorrow (11/11) at 8AM we'll be having a limited time sale on briskets, while supplies last.  Sign up for our emails to be notified, or just check the brisket page at 8AM (MST) tomorrow:  http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/brisket.html 

The deal is going to be 15% off the "buy 1" price.  For you guys that typically buy 6 at a time and get the volume discount, there won't be much of a difference in price.  But, if you typically buy 1-5 at a time, you'll get a good discount off of what you're used to.  

This definitely isn't something we do often...and depending on the response we're not sure how long the inventory will last.  So, if it's something you want to get in on, I would suggest you get your order in early!  

Shane
  • Raymont
    Options
    Shane, would you ever consider a group buy for BGE forum members? Possibly consider the positive advertising, incremental sales this forum has generated and the aggregate purchases we make? We talk up SRF all over the place (not just this forum). Just saying it would be nice to be recognized by SRF for our support. No insult intended here but the math: $12/lb for a Gold or $9.65/lb for Black. (assumes 14lb) isn't really much of a sale. Guess I understand if your trying to win in 1st time buyers.  But just an fyi- Prime grade from Costco for $3.50/lb.. There is no doubt SRF is better, just offering a comparison. I'm still going to buy SRF brisket on occasion.. but I'd buy more (and get others to buy) if the price/lb was lower. I'm sure it's a business call. Just remember we are friends of SRF here!! :)

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SRFShane
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Shane, would you ever consider a group buy for BGE forum members? Possibly consider the positive advertising, incremental sales this forum has generated and the aggregate purchases we make? We talk up SRF all over the place (not just this forum). Just saying it would be nice to be recognized by SRF for our support. No insult intended here but the math: $12/lb for a Gold or $9.65/lb for Black. (assumes 14lb) isn't really much of a sale. Guess I understand if your trying to win in 1st time buyers.  But just an fyi- Prime grade from Costco for $3.50/lb.. There is no doubt SRF is better, just offering a comparison. I'm still going to buy SRF brisket on occasion.. but I'd buy more (and get others to buy) if the price/lb was lower. I'm sure it's a business call. Just remember we are friends of SRF here!! :)
    Hey Raymont,

Thanks for the thoughts and the feedback.  Totally agree that you guys are huge supporters of SRF and I can't thank you enough.  As the President of this company, it's invaluable to have a resource like this forum and it's why I make sure to make time in my day to spend here.  

I also agree that our products are expensive - not necessarily relative to the competition (other Wagyu) but to other options in the marketplace like prime or choice from local markets.  The key reason for this is that our Wagyu cattle are fed for 3X as long as typical commodity cattle...meaning we have significantly more cost in them when in comes time to process them.  SRF is certainly not for everyone, or necessarily for every meal, it's for when you want the best meat you can get.  

The idea of a "group buy" is not something we offer at this point.  We do offer volume discounts, built in, so if someone is ordering in a larger quantity they get an automatic price break.  Additionally, our products are carried in the commercial channel - meaning you can buy our products in bulk from local meat distributors, which is also a less expensive route.  They often only want to deal with larger volume, frequent purchases, so you typically have to go through a restaurant or something to make this work.  Some of the competitive teams that use our briskets go this route.   

I wish I had a better answer for you, but the math of the business dictates that we have to sell our products for a certain amount, or it just doesn't make sense to stay in business.    We do our best to try and provide additional value to our customers by participating in communities like this one, sponsoring BBQ and other culinary contests and donating significant amounts to charitable causes (like Operation BBQ Relief).  

It's ultimately a personal choice as to if it makes sense for you.  We'll keep doing our best to produce exceptional beef, and hopefully that will help you to make that decision easier.  

All the best - Shane
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Raymont- From my perspective, BGE forum members who buy SRF are small in number (based on comments here).  Now there are those who compete who buy in healthy quantities compared to the rest of us.  I'm sure SRF does periodic assessments of their pricing and shipping programs as witnessed by the introduction of the flat rate standard shipping last year.  I'm not affiliated with the company in any way but when SRF gets a mention in Aaron Franklin's recent book that has a whole lot more influence than this forum.
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Edit:  Did not see Shane's reply before posting the above (And at work and not day drinkin" ;) )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BierMugg
    Options
    Quick question 
    How long will they last in the Freezer ? 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @BierMugg- Longer than you can stand...They arrive frozen solid and if like any other brisket-in a good freezer I have had briskets stored for about a year with no issues.  SRF doesn't sit that long but certainly could. 
    A freezer dive several months ago yielded a turkey that had been in residence for 3 + years and was just fine when thawed and cooked.  Poor inventory management with that for sure ;)
  • SRFShane
    Options
    BierMugg said:
    Quick question 
    How long will they last in the Freezer ? 
    Our standard response is 6 months, but others have certainly gone longer without quality degradation issues.  Obviously, this is assuming you keep it in the cryovac it comes in.  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Shane - thanks for the heads up on the 15% off - that's enough to goad me into giving SRF a try, though I suspect it will be regretted in the future when no other brisket will do and I am doing unseemly things to get my next brisket fix.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    ordered mine at 7:30 AM MST and beat the rush!

Can't wait - Wagyu brisket for Thanksgiving, HELLS yeah!
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I am in for one, still have one in the freezer so I opted to get mine delivered next month.  Still excited though!
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Take my money now.  Ordered my first SRF product.  Been sitting on the fence for a long time.
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Ordered a pair, always like to have something other than turkey as an option for Thanksgiving :)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @BIll-W221  - I find the the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving to be a great time to roll out the SRF brisket.  BTW-just ordered one (black) as I am down to one in the deep freeze.  They don't go on sale too often.  
    Great cook and eats await.
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Good idea, this year my entire family will be on the road visiting other family members for the holiday, so I get to stay home and watch football. And that also means I can cook whatever I feel like eating :) Maybe one for me and then cook the other for everyone else when they come home. OR, could I thaw one and stuff it in a Umai bag for 30 days and cook it for the next holiday ???
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Woohooo, gold grade on the way!!
    NOLA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Got my order in. Excited!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC