Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Craig CI Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon

Options
absolutely thrilled with how these turned out. Followed the @BigGreenCraig method, somewhat.

my local meat shop always has these bacon wrapped filet's for 5 dollars.

I picked up an 8 inch CI skillet and gave it hell!

i turned them on there sides for several minutes, flipping occasionally. Total time on skillet was about 11 minutes.

the skillet was raging hot, only issue is, I don't know how to accurately tell the skillet temp, but I guess it doesn't matter.

final temp after rest was 140ish h

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking steaks man. Nicely done.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bravo....i own both those pieces of cookware. Will try!
    Seattle, WA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Thanks fellas! About halfway through the cook, I threw in 2 tbsp butter and a couple pieces of chopped garlic
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That looks great man. Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Turned a $5 steak in to a great meal. Nice work man!
    Any good mule recipes for those mugs?
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • slovelad
    Options
    Tbent said:
    Turned a $5 steak in to a great meal. Nice work man!
    Any good mule recipes for those mugs?
    Thanks ! Oddly enough... Those mugs have never even been wet.. It's a shame I know, I'm a craft beer drinker most of the time.

but open to suggestions if anyone has a great recipe
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    nice looks fantastic
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Really nice. Anyone would be happy with that, except vegetable eaters. Bravo
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Looks good, Mule is easy, ice, ginger beer, vodka and 1/2 a lime squeezed
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice looking filets.  Look perfect.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great!  As far as skillet temp you could use an IR temp gun or a Adkins weighed griddle thermocouple design.  But, I'd lean toward it doesn't matter much when referencing searing in a skillet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Very nice!! Yes, what @NPHuskerFL said. I use an IR thermometer. However, it's unnecessary if you have your instant read thermometer on hand taking readings.  
  • kwdickert
    Options
    @slovelad you're gonna be the steak wizard here shortly!
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dang....  Dang.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • slovelad
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    @slovelad you're gonna be the steak wizard here shortly!
    There is just something about a delicious steak... Most of the time I don't even make sides.. Just enjoy evry bite lol
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good! As for skillet temp, "raging hot" is good. If you need to know, or want to check pizza stone temp, I like the one Thermoworks sells. 1022° max reading, $39.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks ridiculously good...especially for $5 a steak. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks like a great cook.  I'll have to try that soon myself.

I have a question on these lower priced bacon wrapped filets that I see often.  What is the actual cut of meat?  There is no way they can be filet mignon at that price, but I also see them often.  Usually pre-packaged in the meat case or via mail-order.  Just wondering as I may buy the cut whole and slice them at home.

LBGE/Maryland
  • slovelad
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I have a question on these lower priced bacon wrapped filets that I see often.  What is the actual cut of meat?  There is no way they can be filet mignon at that price, but I also see them often.  Usually pre-packaged in the meat case or via mail-order.  Just wondering as I may buy the cut whole and slice them at home.

I hVe been wondering this myself, and I don't really have an answer.

i get them from a local butcher, they usually look like they are ready to sell asap( a little brown on edges) so I just assumed that was why he sold them cheap.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ok now I remember :smiley: 
    :plus_one: Nice work once again. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2015
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Filet Mignon obviously comes from the beef tenderloin and is generally the "center cut" part. There is also a tail that tapers down on one side and 2 muscles that come together at the head (thickest end) with some silver skin and connective tissue in there. Steaks cut from the head are often bacon wrapped because of the large seam that runs Between the different muscles. The bacon holds it together and shapes it up like a center cut filet. Then they upsell it by calling it bacon wrapped.  This is not always the case but it's pretty common. Another reason they are often vacuum packed and kept away from prying eyes of savvy meat shoppers. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like they weren't, but avoid the "filets" that come in a perfectly round clear plastic hockey-puck container.  They are often not from the tenderloin subprimal and if they are, they are often meat-glued together (they will have a fancy label that tells you to overcook them for safety).
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead and @The Cen-Tex Smoker , that answers my questions.  It always looked a little too good to be true...   
    At least it comes from the same general area, I thought it might have be round cut into pucks.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I smelled success as soon as I read the title....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site