Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Collar's from SRF

Options

I ordered three of them today while they were still on sale and plan on doing one for pulled pork when I get back from Mexico, anyone have a history of cooking these? I also bought some bacon and can't wait to get home and try that as well.

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    edited October 2015
    Options
    First, you are in for a treat. I have not had SRF collors, but if they are better than the ones my butcher cuts......it will be off the chart. 

there are 3 ways i know to prepare, two of which I have done. They are as follows:
    1. Season and go low and slow as you would a butt. You will not need to reach 195 however for tenderness. I pull at 175 -180 and rest. I then cut them into steak size portions, and do one of two things. Plate an eat....or pan sear on both sides with a little butter olive oil mix to add a little crunch to the outside texture. (I have had both ways). I use maple wood for my smoaking, but use what you prefer with butts. Leftovers are easily shreeded for other uses.
    2. Cut the roast into 4 nice think steaks. I season with some brown sugar and some butt rub of my choice. Grill on both sides untill you reach internal temp of 145. Rest and eat. (This is my preference in cooking methods, however I recomend the roasted approach for your first time. I discovered this approach as my butcher cut them this way by accident.)
    3. Season and braise in a cast iron dutch oven. (I have not tried this and would be most interested in your results if you try this method) 
    Will need some pictures. All the best.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    First, you are in for a treat. I have not had SRF collors, but if they are better than the ones my butcher cuts......it will be off the chart. 

there are 3 ways i know to prepare, two of which I have done. They are as follows:
    1. Season and go low and slow as you would a butt. You will not need to reach 195 however for tenderness. I pull at 175 -180 and rest. I then cut them into steak size portions, and do one of two things. Plate an eat....or pan sear on both sides with a little butter olive oil mix to add a little crunch to the outside texture. (I have had both ways). I use maple wood for my smoaking, but use what you prefer with butts. Leftovers are easily shreeded for other uses.
    2. Cut the roast into 4 nice think steaks. I season with some brown sugar and some butt rub of my choice. Grill on both sides untill you reach internal temp of 145. Rest and eat. (This is my preference in cooking methods, however I recomend the roasted approach for your first time. I discovered this approach as my butcher cut them this way by accident.)
    3. Season and braise in a cast iron dutch oven. (I have not tried this and would be most interested in your results if you try this method) 

Thanks for the info, they are around 4 pounds each I believe and I want to do each of the 3 differently. First one I know I am low & slow and pulling, Your method #1) sounds interesting and I like the idea of putting the sliced pieces back on to sear, so I understand you right you take it to 175/180 before you slice? I typically cook 1 inch bone in brined chops indirect at 250 until 130 IT then open my XL up and let it rip to 550/600 and sear direct for 2 minutes first side then 90 seconds the second and they end up at 150/160 and are awesome. Thanks for your response.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Have you checked out the recipes on the SRF site?  I have never cooked these but the recipes look pretty good. 

This one makes me want a taco for breakfast:

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/smoked-pork-collar-tacos/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Have you checked out the recipes on the SRF site?  I have never cooked these but the recipes look pretty good. 

This one makes me want a taco for breakfast:

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/smoked-pork-collar-tacos/

I have reviewed them and the sliced one LOOKS Awesome, I'm doing a low & Slow on the first one and probably the sliced one next. Thanks for sharing!
  • milesvdustin
    Options

This? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Can't wait to see wtf a pork collar is!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Do you have a sticker which illustrates them?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    @pgprescott  Here is the collar which I have seen referred to as the money muscle from the pork shoulder. Here are a couple before going on the egg a while back.

These were cut into steaks from the roast. You should get 4 nice healthy cuts out of a roast. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Do you have a sticker which illustrates them?

I am in Mexico until Nov 15th and they are being shipped on Nov 16th so I will have them in time for the MSU Ohio State game on Nov 21st. I will take and post some pictures. I have been in Mexico for 6 weeks and I can't wait to cook something on the BGE.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @Grillmagic
    Enjoy your time in Mexico my friend. When I was younger I absolutley loved spending time in ole Mexico. Looking forward to seeing your cook. Pork collar is outstanding to say the least. @northGAcock gave you sound advice above. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.