Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Educate me, please.

Options
I'll ask the question first and then give reasoning after, so those of you who don't like to read long posts can skip the latter part. :)
What makes a brisket a "difficult" cook? I know there are some out there who can cook the best brisket with your eyes shut and one hand tied behind your back, but I apparently need a little more education. So is it the prep work? Picking the correct one before you cook it? Small window of temps between not done and over done? What???

Now on to background. I have cooked three briskets. I'm kind of one for three. Kind of because one was semi-edible and the other two were leather. The first two I cooked were from a company that delivers our meat-organic, grass fed beef. They were flats and did not have much marbling, so I was expecting them to be dry. I was right on one, and the other one was ok. Fast forward to yesterday. I picked up another flat from Costco (they don't carry packers here) that looked really good in the cryovac. Plenty of marbling, looked pretty. Salt and pepper for seasoning, on the BGE at 235* until "buttah". At least that was the plan.... Started probing at 185* and every 20-30 minutes after until temp reached 205*. Never got the "buttah", and brisket was tough and dry. Not a complete fail, because it's going in some brisket chili for Halloween night, but still not what I wanted.
What's my issue(s)? Are packers more guaranteed success? Did I miss the magical moment that was "buttah" one minute and leather the next? Did I pull it off too early? I feel like I need a good brisket cook to feel truly accomplished in life. (Not really, but my wife is tired of me blowing money on meat that doesn't taste good when I cook it.)
Help a brother out...
Thanks
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm a Boston butt guy, but there's a packer sitting in my fridge for this weekend.

I'm watching.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    For me, I buy nothing less than Choice and try and stay Prime, Only Packers......Basic rub I have done it at temps from 225 to 325---the only time I was not pleased ( though everyone though it was great) was the 1 and only time I bought a select-- IMHO you want good food you have to buy Good Food"...........I am sure you can "massage" lower quality products and get a great outcome, and inversely you can ruin a quality product as well--Keep it simple, buy better cuts, RESTING is key I say no less than 2 hours, I like 4
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Most times with flats they have been trimmed already.  Leaving hardly any fat.  The layer of fat on a packer is usually hardly compromised.  That layer of fat is for protection and moisture (and flavor too, I suppose).  

The grass fed are leaner anyways.  So you'll likely get a leaner/drier outcome.  

Key note of this story is, fat is good, um kay?  

When picking a packer, you'll want a nice floppy one if you're going that route and also wet age (which I have yet to do).  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have hosed up many a brisket cook and had some successes. A few things:
    Flats are much more of a challenge than a packer as the window of success is quite narrow (more about that later).
    And as above-the quality of meat going in has a major impact on the outcome.  In part it seems that the higher the quality the wider the finish-line window, as well.
    Packers have more natural protective fat.  A good layer of protective fat is a heat-shield. 
    The finish-line is as you describe-when the thickest part of the flat probes like "buttah".  This applies to a packer or flat only cook.  Temperature is only a guide to when to start looking for the brisket to get loose.  And with the flat-you likely won't get it all to probe smooth but when the great majority does, you are there.  And this window on a flat is more narrow (in my experience) than with a packer. 
    And here's some great background material: 
    what follows are some good links for brisket info:  probably more than you will ever need- Aaron Franklin video series-first one is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU  Then some good reading:  http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html; http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html       and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php 
    And it does sound like you pulled your last cook too early.
    I would cook at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome-around 1hr/lb and seems to yield more consistent results for me.
    That's more than enough for now. 
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Momentary bragging: I did one over the weekend and left for 3 hours in the middle to play some TopGolf.  
    My automatic winning stratagy involves a cheap foil pan that fits and a great rub.  After that, it's a lot like the 3-2-1 method with ribs but it's altered to 3-3 or 3-4.  3 hours of hickory or similar sturates whatever you're cooking.  Then tent or cover to catch most evaporating liquid and continue along at 280ish for 2/3/4 hours depending on the size of the brisket.  Once it's covered, you're pretty protected from drying and just make sure that your pan doesn't dry out.  The fat cap will be render and collect but don't sweat it because it's keeping your brisket moist.

Do it!
    Best - Jack
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    In all things BBQ, fat is your friend. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I was hoping for something else... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    First, practice helps.  My first three had about your record and now I get calls for my brisket at BBQ competitions, it's my most consistent category.  

The best thing that I learned was to go by the probe test, regardless of how high I might think the temp is.  I've had briskets go up to 207 before it got that butter feel.  This has proven consistent whether I'm cooking choice or Wagyu, low (250) or fast (290), at home or for competitions.

Selection has also helped.  I look for thick flats that are as even across the end as possible and want ones that are flexible.  When possible I get Wagyu but have gotten top 3 with choice this year.

Learning on flats is hard, I'd try a few packers if you can get them.  Also, are you using foil?  That makes the learning curve easier IMO.  Foil it when you get the color, not automatically at a certain temperature.  Then a nice long rest of 4 hours.

Once you nail it, you'll get the feel for it and then smoking whole briskets naked or even doing flats gets much easier.  Keep on trying, you'll get it.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Thanks, guys. Sheds some light on my brisket issues. I'll definitely try again and give it more time. @SGH, thanks for taking the time to really answer my question. I truly appreciate it. And for what it's worth, I consider you at least a Brisket Demi-god.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jeffwit said:
     And for what it's worth, I consider you at least a Brisket Demi-god.
    I appreciate the kind words my friend. But i assure you i do not walk amongst the BG's. Only a chosen few have that honor. And as always, my pleasure to share the little that i can.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Great post and responses, Thanks guys for the info. Love getting any info on the brisket
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    I dont know if you are aware of this or not, but brother Gump was a Brisket God.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Great post and responses, Thanks guys for the info. Love getting any info on the brisket
    Believe this or not, I read everything that everyone posts about brisket. I enjoy hearing all the different thoughts and opinions on the subject. From the triumphs to the tragedies, I take it all in and compare it to my own thoughts and findings. Brisket posts are unique in the fact that you can read a 1,000 of them and there will be something a little different in each one of them. No matter how many you cook or how much you read, brisket is a never ending story.  

Status- Standing by.

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Happy Friday Brisket Fans!!!  

I just got clearance from the tower that I'm a GO for a packer for Sunday supper.  TGI FREAKIN F!!  Amirite?!?!?!?!

As for me, I watched the Franklin videos about a zillion times before my first attempt and it came out great.  So far [KNOCK WOOD], I've never had a clunker.  

And, I've never used butcher paper before, so I'm going to get some for this weekend's cook.  BC I'm working on short notice, I can't order the best and highly prized stuff, but I *think* I can pick some up at Staples.  Any ideers or suggestions welcome!

Whoooo hoooooo!!!!!  Brisky this Sunday!!!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing - better to be lucky than good any day.  Enjoy the cook and eats.  Lots of good info above-but each cook is its own journey.  Have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.