Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spinnin' Some Picanha

Options
Big_Green_Craig
Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
edited October 2015 in EggHead Forum
Lately, I've been playing a lot with the Carson Rodizio that I picked up from their first KickStarter campaign. I like this thing because it's completely unique and breaks up some monotony to Egging. 

I started with a 3.5lb fresh Picanha (rump cap) and sliced it into 4" wide sections. (The marbling in this cut is gorgeous) Then ran the skewer throw them. Applied a little EVOO and kosher salt and set it in the Rodizio. It spun for approx 35-40 minutes before the first slice. Just like Fogo de Chao, I sliced off the crust to a perfect medium rare, re-seasoned and put it back on the rotisserie and so on. There are very few flare ups because the drippings baste the meat vs dripping straight down. The fat rendered very nicely and packs a huge flavor. I'm loving this thing! 

You obviously lose some of the ceramics efficiency and this would probably be better for a Weber Kettle. But I like the fact that it is adjustable to fit any grill. I'm also surprised with the lack of charcoal required to run this thing. I started off with less than half a bowl of lump. You'll definitely have to trick some in as needed, but nothing crazy. 

Last night was just some testing for an upcoming dinner party. No fancy plating, just straight up simple deliciousness. 

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Nice!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great Craig!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I have always seen those U shaped cuts at Brazilian BBQs and didn't know what they were.  A little web search showed they are the rump roast cap, as you indicated.

I may be  biased, but I bet you get some benefit of the egg over a weber kettle just due to the heat retention of the ceramics and then radiated heat.  I'm not sure what you do, but I bet it particularly would help to get the egg up to temp closed before your start.  Then the lower unit is already hot.

I was curious about flare ups, but it sounds like you have it covered.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Is there enough heat to cook on the upper slots?  It seems really far from the coals up there? 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Is there enough heat to cook on the upper slots?  It seems really far from the coals up there? 
    There is. I typically rotate the skewers as needed. There is also a basket/tumbler, a 2 prong and a 4 prong skewer that are optional. 

I guess I should have clarified my Kettle comment a little bit more. The frame adjusts in and out to fit the right grill. Using a Large Egg, you really lose a bunch of skewer room to accommodate the grill size. You could get full capacity with the size of a Kettle. Might be worth the $100 investment to get the extra room. I'm still on the fence about that...

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    it sure looks cool, but geez, that motor housing sure seems like it's exposed to a ton of heat.  should be interesting to see how these last over time.  what's the warranty on them?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I should add, I am not an engineer nor did I stay in an holiday inn express last night.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I watched a periscope video cooking a brisket on the top rack and the he showed the temp at the bottom rack was around 3-350f while the top was 190-225f. So depending on what you are cooking you have options. Pretty cool toy. 

Great post Craig!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just went to their website.  It looks like they're sold out, but are they really $500?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Legume said:
    it sure looks cool, but geez, that motor housing sure seems like it's exposed to a ton of heat.  should be interesting to see how these last over time.  what's the warranty on them?
    All of the guts are steel or aluminum and I've been told by the creator that they are "virtually indestructible." Apparently, no grill can get to the temp it would take to harm anything inside. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options

I just went to their website.  It looks like they're sold out, but are they really $500?  
    They did a limited run back in February. The current US inventory has been depleted, but they are gearing up for a second run. You can get a hefty discount is you order through their KickStarter Campaign
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina you can get them for $300 on there Kickstarter. I can't wait to get mine! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shakenblakecarson/the-carson-rodizio-kit
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

They did a limited run back in February. The current US inventory has been depleted, but they are gearing up for a second run. You can get a hefty discount is you order through their KickStarter Campaign
    Thanks Craig.  I think I'd be more interested if I thought I'd actually end up using this frequently, instead of once a year during my annual Brazilian wax party.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options

Thanks Craig.  I think I'd be more interested if I thought I'd actually end up using this frequently, instead of once a year during my annual Brazilian wax party.  
    It's definitely not for everyone. Just like some other accessories. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Pretty cool. All you need now are those red/green coasters. 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    ...Using a Large Egg, you really lose a bunch of skewer room to accommodate the grill size. You could get full capacity with the size of a Kettle. ...
    Never realized that until you pointed it out.  Good that it's adjustable, but I can see how you'd be better using this on an XL.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Looks like a lot of fun 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options

When's the Brazilian wax party? :o
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    More details on the Brazilian wax party  =)
    pics from past events might help. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Easy there fella. This could get sideways quickly! (Male Brazilian Wax)
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    Options
    Is it just me or are the skewers on this a funky shape?  Does the little "u" shaped dimple in the middle affect the way the skewers pierce meat or cook?
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    cmclean said:
    Is it just me or are the skewers on this a funky shape?  Does the little "u" shaped dimple in the middle affect the way the skewers pierce meat or cook?
    The skewers are shaped that way to give them strength so they don't bend when you load them with big heavy chunks of whatever.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,303
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Easy there fella. This could get sideways quickly! (Male Brazilian Wax)
    Silly @DoubleEgger. Any smooth skin enthusiast worth their salt knows the difference between a Brazilian and a boyzillian.