Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Porcelain Cast Iron?

Options
Does anybody use porcelain cast iron dutch ovens or skillets on their egg?  I have one of each from Lodge and they say using them on an outdoor grill is a no-go.  They specifically state not to use on outdoor grills.  Meanwhile Le Creuset says outdoor grill use is approved, Staub doesn't say one way or the other but does say if uncovered 900 degrees is okay in an oven, BergHoff says all heat sources are approved.

I can't really think that Lodge's porcelain enamel is that different.  I'm wanting to do stew, roasts, beans, chili, etc.  I don't intend on going crazy high to sear stuff, if I do that I have plain cast iron to use.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would say F-it and use it anyway.  They probably are trying to increase profits by finding excuses to reject warranty returns and figure fire would cause stains.  What good is a tool if you can't use it?
    Options
    I know you say you have other CI you can use.  We have two enamel Lodge dutch ovens (different sizes) that my wife is fond of, so to keep the peace I took a fellow forum member's tip (maybe @DoubleEgger if I remember correctly) and purchased the following Lodge setup that I use solely for outdoor cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive seen the enamel snap over high heat in a dry pot but if there is food in there it should be fine with any of them. i use three different brands in the egg, lodge and a cheap marshalls brand i use all the time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I looked into a large enameled Lodge on Amazon and there were complaints from some users that the enamel was coming off at (if I remember right) higher heat. I am a fan of Lodge, but don't think I'll be using their enameled dutch ovens.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Here ya go.    Mine works just fine
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • shadowrider
    Options
    @bo31210  Do you have any issues with staining?  I'm pretty sure that going indirect like you show in your pic won't hurt a darn thing at normal cooking temps.  Simple Green takes off the smoke staining from the wife's Pampered Chef stuff and I use it with her blessing.  Dawn and scouring pads won't touch the smoke.  Simple Green takes it right off and I'm thinking it'll be fine in the porcelain too.  BTW I have that exact pan...
  • bo31210
    Options
    @shadowrider No issues staining at all.    May take a little scrubbing but havent had any problems here   It is a good pot    I really enjoy mine indoors and on the egg
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @bo31210  Do you have any issues with staining?  I'm pretty sure that going indirect like you show in your pic won't hurt a darn thing at normal cooking temps.  Simple Green takes off the smoke staining from the wife's Pampered Chef stuff and I use it with her blessing.  Dawn and scouring pads won't touch the smoke.  Simple Green takes it right off and I'm thinking it'll be fine in the porcelain too.  BTW I have that exact pan...
    I have zero issues getting creosote off of my Le Creuset with just a 3M ScotchBrite pad in warm water. Elbow grease is key.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I know you say you have other CI you can use.  We have two enamel Lodge dutch ovens (different sizes) that my wife is fond of, so to keep the peace I took a fellow forum member's tip (maybe @DoubleEgger if I remember correctly) and purchased the following Lodge setup that I use solely for outdoor cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LEXR0K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I use this one as well. It is perfectly fine.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    mahenryak said:

I meant to say, I'm ordering that one.  It seems to be the perfect setup for the egg. B)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I picked up this 8 qt Staub for $99 the other day at woot.  It will be used at brisket camp for something yet to be determined. 
    That's a pretty good buy nola.  I have a Le Creuset outlet by me that I need to get out to and see if they have any buys like that.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they make a nice handle upgrade for those

fukahwee maine

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

I meant to say, I'm ordering that one.  It seems to be the perfect setup for the egg. B)
    Good to hear.  I am happy with mine.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The main issue I have with Lodge Enameled Cast Iron is it is made in China.

• bo31210
    Options
    GregW said:

And the point?   Your egg is made in Mexico, your phone is made in China, etc.    
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    GregW said:

I have a problem with Chinese goods. Particularity when I'm going to cook food that I'm planning to eat. I can only imagine the steel that gets melted down for use in Chinese cookware. I have always had a fear of radioactive medical metals being melted down and reused.

A ridiculous fear probably.

I still avoid anything made in China that can come in contact with my food.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GregW said:
    bo31210 said:
    GregW said:

I have a problem with Chinese goods. Particularity when I'm going to cook food that I'm planning to eat. I can only imagine the steel that gets melted down for use in Chinese cookware. I have always had a fear of radioactive medical metals being melted down and reused.

i buy a lot of raw stainless product,  the chinese seem to be making most of it. so my assumption would be most usa made cooking vessels are made from chinese metal products. our steel mills are all old, the chinese have top of the line steel producing mills nowadays
    fukahwee maine

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    GregW said:
    bo31210 said:
    GregW said:

So I guess you're not a big fan of Yeti drinkware either.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Wish we would get rid of the FDA and EPA so we could compete with the Chinese. 

Due to the EPA's clean energy rules in the US, you see few steel mills or large furnace operations in the states. They cannot meet the stringent air pollution standards.  China does produce most of the raw steel castings used in manufacturing,  and then ships to the US for final machining, milling, and assembly.  Just because it says "Made in the USA", that can mean "assembled in the USA".  Amazing how much hi-end product gets cast in China. Golf clubs, engine castings, power machinery frames, etc.   Great for their economy, but you have to wear a respirator to leave the house, due to the smog from the furnaces and all the coal generating plants. Remember what LA and Detroit looked like in the 70's. China has the worse smog in the world.

• littlerascal56
    Options

Had an engineer work in China for a month's project. He said it was horrible commuting anywhere. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Well, I was being sarcastic but good information .
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Here ya go.    Mine works just fine
    Those beans look great....take it easy on my boys Saturday!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bo31210
    Options
    @northGAcock Should be a good game     Spurrier cant catch a break this year   I hope any SC Fans who make the trip have a good time.   I think LSU is rolling out the carpet for them
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    They have been unbelievable. We appreciate it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bo31210
    Options
    LSU understands this more than anyone from 2005 and Arizona State did the same for us.    It is amazing how some good college football will return some normalcy to people's lives and all the South Carolinians need that more than ever given the events of this year.   Hang in there bro and sorry you can't make it tomorrow but I fully understand!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    LSU is giving all the profits (after expenses) to SC.  On the other hand they get home field advantage, which is huge in Red Stick, but they probably weren't worried about winning on the road in this case.  I wonder if there's an adjustment of future home games?
    Options
    GregW said:

Lol, i think you have it mixed up Greg.   Japan is the one poisoning us with radioactive stuff.   China is the one poisoning us with lead and cadmium  ;)