Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Eyes...

Options
My local grocery store had rib eyes on sale this week so I couldn't resist.   I slow cooked them for a while indirect with some sugar maple.  The steaks getting ready for some direct heat.

Cooked the steaks over direct heat to finish. The grill marks could have been better but the family was pressuring me to hurry up. 

I served the steaks with some veggies and some french fires cookdex in an Philips Air Fryer. The fries fresh just cooked ready for the plate 
All plated and ready to eat

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Meat and potatoes, my kind of grub for sure. Outstanding job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    The grill marks could have been better 
    For both the record and clarity, you can not taste grill marks my friend. In the event that you can, it's because it's over scorched. Those steaks look great "as is". Enjoy, I know I would.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @SGH  Thank you,  but like you said we eat with our eyes.  The steak in the picture was the best of the four.  
  • SGH
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    but like you said we eat with our eyes.  
    Allow me to clarify here, I said most folks eat with their eyes. SGH eats with his mouth first and foremost. Aesthetics mean very little to me when eating for enjoyment. But I do get what you are saying my friend.  Grill marks are akin to a smoke ring. If you want it, you want it. Again, great job brother.  

Status- Standing by.

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Looks great!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    They look incredible
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @SGH off topic. Do any companys make a vertical smoker with a firebox below and not to the side that burn firewood. Being in Toronto we don't see to many smokers like that or even offsets. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @SGH off topic. Do any companys make a vertical smoker with a firebox below and not to the side that burn firewood. Being in Toronto we don't see to many smokers like that or even offsets. 
    I don't know of any that are actually designed to burn wood only. However my Pitmaker Vault is a heavy duty, insulated cabinet with the firebox below the cook chamber. With that said, more often than not I run it on wood. The cabinets that come right to mind are the Lone Stars. However the fire box is side mounted. 

Status- Standing by.

• Tinyfish
    Options
    SGH said:
    Tinyfish said:
    I don't know of any that are actually designed to burn wood only. However my Pitmaker Vault is a heavy duty, insulated cabinet with the firebox below the cook chamber. With that said, more often than not I run it on wood. The cabinets that come right to mind are the Lone Stars. However the fire box is side mounted. 
    Got it,  thank you I will look. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @SGH thank you. The Lone star grillz look great. The Lone Star vertical offset look good and has a smaller foot print. Do you have an opinion on the 24x24 vertical smoker.
  • SGH
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
     Do you have an opinion on the 24x24 vertical smoker.
    Yes sir i do, they are high end quality cabinets. I like both their insulated model as well as their offset cabinet. As a matter of fact, we are cloning one of their offset cabinets as we speak. 

Status- Standing by.

• jollygreenegg
    Options
    After seeing those fries I had to google that Air fryer...  The website says it'll fry with a tablespoon of oil and says it's the healthy way to fry!  How do you like it?  How do wings come out?  Is it big enough for drumsticks?
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    After seeing those fries I had to google that Air fryer...  The website says it'll fry with a tablespoon of oil and says it's the healthy way to fry!  How do you like it?  How do wings come out?  Is it big enough for drumsticks?
    For me the fries turn out great. I have not done anything else but fries.

The only down side is capacity.  Just a guess on my part but you may only get 12 to 20 wings in there and maybe 10 small drumsticks.

Philips does make a larger fryer but very expensive.  You can also look at T-Fal fryers they may be bigger in size for less.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Good stuff, who cares about grill marks?? Great food trumps all!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Oh man, am I hungry.  Looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'll take a plate of that!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio