Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf help - Cooking method (not ingredients)

Options
This is not an ingredient question but a cooking method question 

Preparing to make a 2 to 2.5lb meatloaf using all ground beef. I plan to smoke it and go raised indirect, but dont want to go more than an hour (or 2 max). What grill temp do I want to go with and for about how long. Also, what internal temp should I plan to pull it off at. We don't want any pink meat. 

Also, I plan to use cherry wood to smoke, but I also have some hickory chips available if needed. Any tips on properly adding smoke flavor without killing it with smoke?

any other tips, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would go 350 to an IT of 160. That should finish it well  inside of 2 hours. Cook it to IT and don't worry about the time. Just be sure to check the IT periodically so you don't over cook it. Cherry wood rocks on meat loaf. You can mix it in with your lump before you light it....a couple of small chunks or about a small handful of chips.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Try doing meatloaf on a cedar plank! Stays together and makes a nice presentation. We do it raised direct (plank makes it indirect) at 375-400 degrees about 1-1.25 hours to internal temperature of 160. And don't forget the JD oak chips!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @Tier1Terrier

Have you decided on this cook? Smoked meat loaf is the bomb.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like to run meat loaf at 375-425 degrees. The smaller ones at 425 and the larger ones at 375. I cook indirect as I usually place the meat loaf on the grate sitting on a sheet of aluminum foil.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like to do mine on cast iron, indirect.  

I agree with @SmokingPiney- need to go according to temp with meatloaf.

Phoenix 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    @Tier1Terrier

Have you decided on this cook? Smoked meat loaf is the bomb.
    I'm prepping now. Still haven't decided on placement (directly on grill or baking sheet) or cooking temp. Also trying to figure out when to apply glaze. Should I apply it at beginning and reapply halfway through?
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like to apply the glaze the last 10-15min of cooking.  As a side note if you use a baking sheet try to elevate the loaf so it's not sittin in it own grease.  I learned the hard way.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Ok, well here's the final result. I followed Alton Browns Good Eats meatloaf recipe for ingredients. I dusted with DP Cow Lick and cooked raised indirect at 275f with cherry wood for smoke. At IT of 125f, I applied glaze (per recipe) and cooked till IT OF 155. It was delicious although a tad spicy for my little toddler boys. I'll probably cut the Cayenne & Black Pepper in half next time if they will be eating it, but otherwise, it was great. First time I've ever had smokey meatloaf and I loved it. 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Love meatloaf, cook these often.  Go 400º indirect and it will reach 155º (which is where I like to pull them) in about an hour.  155º is a little pink so pull at 160º or so if you want it all "brown" inside.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Nice!