Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round of belly curing

Options
This will be my second round of pork belly curing.  First round I cold smoked with hickory and I think the smoke was a little too overpowering.  This time I might try hot smoking, but I'm definitely going to go with a lighter wood like apple.

1st half cured with Himalayan pink sea salt, pink salt, pepper, turbinate sugar, and maple syrup.

Second half was done with a ruhlman cure of pink salt, kosher salt, pepper, brown sugar, nutmeg, thyme, and bay leaves.

7 days, then I'll hit them with some smoke.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Must be the season, just rinsed 10#'s this am after 8 days in hy mountain brine.  Going on tomorrow indirect starting 150 and working up to 225 over 3 1/2-4 hours indirect, apple wood.  pull @ 150 rest in frig over night and then slice, vacuum seal eggcetera.
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    @Richard Fl Yep.  I saw this 10lb slab at Costco today for less than $3 / lb and couldn't help myself.  I did save a little bit of it so that I can slow braise it and put it in a ramen when it gets a little colder.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
     Nice looking stuff.  I have 8lbs going on tomorrow!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another way to do the belly.  Rotissarie is not necessary.  Just happen to have one.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1297141&catid=1

Also Oriental style:
    Pork, Butt, Pork Belly, Braised Pork Belly, Thit Kho, Vietnamese

The coconut water used in this recipe is the clear liquid from the heart of the immature coconut. Do not confuse it with the white coconut milk (canned and frozen) that is extracted from the grated flesh of the mature coconut. You may purchase coconut water frozen; it is usually sold in clear, square or rectangular plastic bags -- sometimes a few thin slices of coconut meat are included. Pork belly (where bacon comes from) is the desired and traditional cut for this dish because it has the perfect balance of lean meat to fat. However, you may substitute the leaner Boston butt.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs pork belly or side pork, or Boston butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
    3 Tbs oil
    4 Tbs sugar
    3 Cloves garlic, slivered
    2 shallots, slivered
    2 Tbs peeled, slivered fresh ginger
    1/3-1/2 cup fish sauce
    12 oz fresh or frozen coconut water (see head note)
    4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

Procedure:

1. In a thick-walled 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, heat the oil and add the sugar, stirring until the sugar melts. Cook until the sugar turns a light brown and caramelizes. Add the garlic, shallots and ginger. They will sizzle. Stir and cook for 1 minute.

2. Over high heat, add the pork belly and stir. Add the fish sauce and coconut water. The liquid should barely cover the pieces of pork. Add water if necessary. Bring to a boil, add the eggs, cover and cook on medium heat for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, or comes up about one third of the way on the pork.

3. Serve warm.

4. Marinate the pork overnight in garlic, shallots, sugar fish sauce. Place eggs in pot and at the end chop them up.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: Viet World Kitchen, 2006/09/09

• Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    Out of the cure yesterday and dried overnight.  Ready to smoke this morning.  Went with cold smoke using an Amaze N pellet smoker.  Traeger applewood pellets.  Gonna let it run until it's done.  Last pic is some pancetta I decided to hang out if this batch.