Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montréal Smoked Meat it is!

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Monday evening of September 21st and I've finally made up my mind. After two weeks sitting in the fridge, I will turn this brisket into Montreal Smoked Meat.  I will let it be in the fridge until at least Sunday the 27th and depending on how it feels, I will either smoke it or wait some more.

Rubbed with roughly 2 teaspoons of pink curing salt per side, 1/2 cup kosher salt, some brown sugar and homemade pickling spices. I did not really measure...

Before smoking, I will rinse everything and rub with Schwartz's seasoning. 

Comments

• FaceDance
    Options
    I am staying tuned
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    patiently waiting... 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• paqman
    Options
    Thanls @Richard Fl based on this recipe, it looks like I did not use enough salt and that I will have to wait one extra week.

Options
    Will be standing by for the finale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have one in the fridge I'm going to start. How much did you trim? I remember being in Schwartz's and the guy asking if I wanted fat or lean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have one in the fridge I'm going to start. How much did you trim? I remember being in Schwartz's and the guy asking if I wanted fat or lean
    I think he was referring to either the point or the flat. 
  • Little Steven
    Options

Yes I know that. The two sentences had nothing to do with one another. The lean or fat is kind of an inside joke for anyone has been at Schwartz's. You want the fat or the lean or you want to get the f--k out?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Yes I know that. The two sentences had nothing to do with one another. The lean or fat is kind of an inside joke for anyone has been at Schwartz's. You want the fat or the lean or you want to get the f--k out?
    Ahh. Like the soup nazi. I see. Sorry. 
  • paqman
    Options
    There was nothing mutch to trim on the flat and I trimmed a lot on the point, probably too much...  There will still be a good amount of fat inside.  I prefer fatty so I hope the inside will have plenty.

edited September 2015
    Options
    I turned it for the first time today and it is pretty stiff; I wonder if it is ready to smoke...   Does anyone have experience?  Is a 5 days dry cure enough?

Options
    Wednesday September 30th, after 8 days of dry cure, turning it twice, I rinsed the brisket to remove the spices and it is now soaking in ice water with roughly a cup of sugar to get rid of some salt.  It feels quite firm and has a mostly brownish color with some greenish hues neer the fat.  It smells good so I am not too concerned.  It is a bit premature but I think that I nailed it, the smell is like when you enter at Schwartz.  I will let it soak until tomorrow and change the water one more time.  I will then dry it and rub it with actual Schwartz seasoning.  It will dry for one night before going on the egg saturday morning.

Options
    Love doing Montreal smoked meat.  I use a wet brine when doing mine.  Looking forward to the results. 
  • paqman
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Love doing Montreal smoked meat.  I use a wet brine when doing mine.  Looking forward to the results. 
    @Tinyfish Can you share some details about the wet brine and overall process?  I was debating between wet/dry rub and decided on the dry rub because of logistics...  I was concerned that the meat would float in a wet brine and I did not have a bag large enough to fit the whole brisket...

Options
    @paqman I went with the wet brine because I  sure the cure would be  spread evenly over the entire brisket because it gets dissolved in the water. With the dry cure I wouldn't know that the cure was spread evenly. 

I used a big plastic container for the brisket.  I placed a small colander on top of the brisket with a brick on top of the colander to hold the brisket down. 
  • paqman
    Options
    @Tinyfish would you do it again? Any lessons learned? Metal or plastic colander?  If metal, did it react?

Thanks

edited October 2015
    Options
    This is what it looks like today (before and after changing water) - Day 11 (Thursday October 1st)

@Little Steven it gives you an idea of how much fat I left.

Options
    This may be the only way I do brisket.  

I like the flavor the brisket picks up from the spices in the brine plus that ever so slight salty taste plus the inside colour of the meat looks great.

Regular brisket

Smoked meat

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Sorry forgot to add that I used plastic container with a lid. It was pretty simple to do the hardest part is carrying the container and the wait for the brisket to brine.

I have  butcher that has pre brined briskets that are ready to cook they just need a soak to rinse some salt.
  • paqman
    Options
    @Tinyfish I hope mine end up looking as good as yours!

Options
    @paqman if I can do it anyone can.

What spices did you use.

I used this in the brine and as the rub. I just used way less peppercorns on the brisket rub maybe 1 to 1.5 tablespoons in the rub.  I added juniper berries 1 tablespoon both to brine and rub.

• paqman
    Options
    Now I need to decide what kind of wood I'll be using to smoke.  I am thinking hickory or cherry.

Options
    Only one wood for smoked meat...sugar maple.  Its one of my favorite now.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    paqman said:
    Now I need to decide what kind of wood I'll be using to smoke.  I am thinking hickory or cherry.
    I find Hickory to be too strong and like Pecan, Cherry, or Post Oak
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • paqman
    Options
    Day 12 - I removed the brisket from the water and dried it.  I then rubbed it with Schwartz's beef spice mix and some cinnamon. It will go in the fridge for the night and in the egg tomorrow morning.

Any advice on temp targets?

Options
    I've smoked till 180f then steamed till probe tender which is the same as a regular brisket 195f to when ever its tender . I like my smoked meat tender like a regular brisket.
  • paqman
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The Ruhlman Pastrami recipe in Charcutterie calls for a final temp of 150F in the smoker.

@Tinyfish were you happy with the 180F IT?

I am not sure what to aim for...

I am at 145F IT right now

Options
    Are you eating it today
  • paqman
    Options
    No, tomorrow

Options
    I would at least get it to the stall and maybe past before steaming.  The sooner you take it out of the smoker the longer it steams for. Maybe try an internal temp of 165f then steam till tender.

No matter what it will be great.

What ever you decide keep notes this way you can alter it next time if needed.