Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Camping

Options
We spent the weekend camping in Asheville NC. Despite the rain, we had a blast riding around sightseeing and picking apples. Took the mm but only managed to use it to heat up pizza bagels, as we didn't spend much time at camp. 
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Now that is a good time indeed! Rain happens on the best planned trips, but it also gives us beautiful waterfalls. We are about to start up for the fall winter seasons of backpacking and camping. Can't wait.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Sweet brother!  Looks like a great time.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great pix, thanks for sharing!  Very cool camper
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That looks like a lot of fun. You have a beautiful family! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Man that looks like a heck of a good time to me. That MM & Yeti really look good sitting on the front of the camper. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That camper is super cool. Don't think I've seen it opened up. 

You're gonna have to keep the shotgun by the door in full view in a few years. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    That's great.  I love that part of N.C.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that is beautiful.  Where is the campground?   I love Asheville.  I really want to go do the zip line tour they have there. 

http://www.navitat.com/asheville-nc/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jjharris144
    Options
    Jerimiah...   Great setup!!
    Where did you camp?  That's beautiful!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great pics and lookslike a lot of fun. That is one cool looking trailer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Beautiful!!  Camping with the family is the BEST!! WE have used our MH every weekend since buying her. Looks like you had a great weekend. What's the name of the campground you stayed at? I want to add it to my list of places to visit. Looks like you had a beautiful view.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wow.....what a great time. My brother (has a house in Jonas Ridge) says the leaves are turning already up there. Your first photo confirms that I see. Hope this rain doesn't knock them all off before I can get up there.

Did you get into any of the craft beers while passing through Asheville?

Wife, myself and a and another couple are headed up this weekend.  Looking forward to it....will send out some pictures. Brother has an egg at his house so should be some good times.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks great!  Sorry the weather wasn't better but, still great pics with family!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @theyolksonyou thanks. I know, trust me, we're not looking forward to the dating years.  @SmokeyPitt and @Thatgrimguy it was Campfire Lodgings. Be sure to book one of the "premium" sites for the view. It was a nice campground even if the bathhouses weren't the greatest. @northGAcock we managed one, Asheville Brewing on Coxe Ave. got the pizza and an Oktoberfest. Both were very good. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Jeremiah Between both you and @Thatgrimguy we are on the fence about buying an RV of some kind. You got me hook'd with your tear drop you built.

Anytime you can spend time with the family discovering and enjoying nature within our great nation has just got to be a blast. I spent my summers with my Dad travaling all over the West

Thanks, my friend, for sharing.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great looking weekend!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Hotch said:

@Jeremiah Between both you and @Thatgrimguy we are on the fence about buying an RV of some kind. You got me hook'd with your tear drop you built.

Anytime you can spend time with the family discovering and enjoying nature within our great nation has just got to be a blast. I spent my summers with my Dad travaling all over the West

Thanks, my friend, for sharing.

Even without as nice of a view/place as he's staying. I love finding a random campground and cooking all weekend. I tend to make lots of friends that way! It's been a blast so far!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good stuff right there....family time :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Hotch thanks, we love traveling and exploring as a family. You just can't replace memories. If you're serious, I might recommend going bigger than a teardrop! I love the fact that it's something we built, and keeping it in the garage is a bonus, but it really is too small. We're already planning buying something bigger. I'd love to restore an old airstream but I just don't have the time. We'll probably buy a small travel trailer that my f150 can tow easily. We debated a small driver (like grim's) but I know funds will probably not allow. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @Jeremiah that is a beautiful camper for a beautiful family, thanks for sharing. I'd think long and hard before getting rid of that thing. I know there is a lot of your blood and sweat (and maybe tears) that went into building it. But this comes from a guy who doesn't camp very often and never spent a night in a camper. Anyway, great photos.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Love that camper! Very cool. And great view, nice spot. We love camping as well, used to hit the mountains a few times a year, however sinse we moved to the acreage we dont get out as often. I pull a 28' hard wall behind my F-150 with out issue. Might be at its limits though when full. We look off and on at a motorhome as well, would be nice to pull the boat, but they are not cheap, wont be happening unless we win the lotto. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger we have the exact same truck. Color and all from your posts. I doubt I go 28', maybe 20-24 with a slide out this time. My only real requirement for the next one is a real shower. Our last TT had one of those baby bath tubs that you had to croutch to shower in. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Jeremiah, we have had our 28' for over 10 years, it was our first camper. If I were to get anouther one I would be getting something smaller I think. We do not and I dont think ever have used the kitchen, or kitchen table. The only thing I do like is that it has a closed of bedroom, and with 3 girls I do enjoy to be able to shut the door at night. But it is big for not ever using the inside, when camping we sit outside rain or shine. And the bigger it is the more crap it seems everyone wants to bring.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks like a great time.  Thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Hotch thanks, we love traveling and exploring as a family. You just can't replace memories. If you're serious, I might recommend going bigger than a teardrop! I love the fact that it's something we built, and keeping it in the garage is a bonus, but it really is too small. We're already planning buying something bigger. I'd love to restore an old airstream but I just don't have the time. We'll probably buy a small travel trailer that my f150 can tow easily. We debated a small driver (like grim's) but I know funds will probably not allow. 
    Jeremiah, awesome family time camping pictures and I love the setup. You built it? What is it built from without going into great detail? Is it some sort of kit? I love it!
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @feef706 with out going into much detail, we did build it, completely from scratch. Frame and all, and as has become the case with many projects, no kit, but Internet pictures and forums. And thank you. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah that camper is pretty bad ass. Looks like a fun trip.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like an awesome weekend, no matter the weather!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That looks like a great trip with family. We're about 45 minutes south of Asheville and we get a spectacular view of the mountain range every time we leave our neighborhood. Not as good as actually being in the middle of them, but still nice.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    That area is beautiful.  We got married just across the state line in Sieverville.  Rented a cabin and said "we do" on the deck of it.  Then we made Carne Asada.