Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probably a worn out question MM or Small as second egg

Options
I  am considering the small as my second egg to my large.  I won't tailgate or use away from patio.  In that context what would make you choose MM  vrs  small.   Cooking for wife and myself only most of time.   Is one superior to the other in avail dome space, CGS accessories or ??.  Would the MM work safely on my table on the granite insert right side?   My thought is to use it for 2 steaks/burgers/dogs/chic breasts ie small cooks NOT L&S ( I'd use the LBGE for ribs/BB etc.)
LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Small and MM have the same size cooking grid. Small can hold more lump. Since you won't use it for L&S, lump capacity really isn't that much of an issue. Small is less expensive than MM and in a nest, is easier to move around your patio than a MM in it's carrier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Well never say never on its use l&s I guess.WOULD the MM be unsafe or too high up sitting on the granite or whatever rock I have on right side of that table?  Guess I'm leaning toward a nested small if the existing table is impractical.. I don't want to hv to dig up another table if I went MM
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm sure a MM would be fine up on your table, but that would take up your prep space.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Caymanite
    Options

I went with a small to add to my large as I had no interest in moving it for tailgating but I can move it if I really wanted to. I plan on getting table like yours for my large and have the small in it's nest next to the table as I want as much table space as possible. With a MM on your table you will have no space left. I scored a small on craigslist brand new in the box for $300 which made it even sweeter. I can just see a thief grabbing a MM and walking off with it. Awesome table by the way.

Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It depends on how you want to use it, I used to travel with my small and it was cumbersome so I sold the small and bought a Mini Max. I take it on vacations, tailgating and visiting friends. I love the Mini Max. If you just plan to have a second egg and not travel the small would be better as it holds more charcoal for longer cooks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    DMW said:
    Small and MM have the same size cooking grid. Small can hold more lump. Since you won't use it for L&S, lump capacity really isn't that much of an issue. Small is less expensive than MM and in a nest, is easier to move around your patio than a MM in it's carrier.
    Absolutely agree. Except I bought the MM and love it. We take ours camping and tailgating, and have visited a few parties with it in tow. It is great on the road, cumbersome to carry, but, no grill, that size anywhere compares.
    If you are just keeping for the home, Small is the way to go. Road trips, MM  place setter and a KAB (or other equivalent to both) is the way to go.
    Either way, you will love it.
    Have fun!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • swordsmn
    Options
    It was an Ace Hdwe table that they stained for me. It turned into the Tower of Pisa after yr one but the installer came by and added some L bracing at a very nominal fee - his did the same thing and we never moved the darn thing. 

I do like the table tho and ur right regarding space.  I do hv a cable on even the large hinge so I will do same with the ( likely) small addition. 

Thx
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Sounds like the small makes better sense for my needs.  I bought a small CI for my large for use with its CGS spider so I'm ahead one grate too.   Thanks gang,  ya'lls advice is always spot on.
  • micheggin
    Options
    my wife got me a large about 10-11 yrs ago.  love it.  our second egg is a medium and i would say that gets used more than the large.  she got me a minimax for christmas 2014 and i think that is and will be mostly used as a travel/tailgate unit.  the minimax is a little different as far as function and set up where the medium is pretty much apples to apples compared to the large but uses less fuel and is pretty easy to get up to temp etc. i can't advise on whether to get a small or not but we love the medium.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have the large/small combo and it works great. The small was my go to for weeknight cooks for me and my wife. After adding a mini I have found that it will easily handle most anything I cook during the week unless it's stir fry then the large gets called to duty.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    DMW said:
    I agree with @DMW but the small will cook a lot more than steaks, burgers and chicken.  It's great for low and slow cooks like ribs, pork butt, and a brisket flat. And it's perfect for Tri tip and appetizers with a second raised grid. Nothing against the MM though.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @swordsmn I'm in the middle of this debate myself, I assumed for weeknight cooks the mini max would be better due to the smaller put and less consumption, not sure how much different the consumption on the small would be
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited September 2015
    Options
    While I see it as a quick food for two unit, I like the fact it's that versatile @Hawg Fan  
    Here's another possibly silly question.. Are your second smaller eggs really THAT much faster to get into service for a weekday cook than your Large eggs.  I mean, with my mapp torch the large seems to get to burger/chicken or even sear temps pretty quick when I've been in a hurry.   I know there's lump savings to consider but that doesn't really bug me... Also, and here's a man card risking confessional....  I just was thinking I'd get a second smaller egg and NOT buy a bloody cover and not baby it....  Because right now I still find myself fretting about rain and leaving my large/table uncovered all the time .. So if rain is forecast the next day, I tend to wuss out and leave the large covered..  I told the wife, If we buy a #%^#} small, do NOT BUY ME A %^^# cover.  Lol.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Small unless your moving it around.  Sorry to be so pedantic.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • swordsmn
    Options
    You should see my AR... dman thing looks new after a year.. I bust my #%^ cleaning it cause cause its so cool. I really need to get a grip, this isn't supposed to be car detailing.  Sheesh
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Yeah @bgebrentquit wasting electrons.  :-)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Agreed?  I have a L and an XL, my next splurge will be a S.  Electrons can get expensive!  You're on track brother swordsman!  Whatever is right for you and your needs!  Liking your posts brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga